Rumor: Matheson Maybe? Horny - Hold On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The way I see it, the ONLY good that may come from this is that now all teams that MAY have had some interest in Hornqvist could put the peddle to the floor and come to Rutherford with a strong offer. Perhaps even an offer of player for pick, which in my opinion would be ideal. Getting that entire contract off the books would be a huge win (regardless of the pick acquired to be honest). I realize that is unlikely given our current sporting situation in 2020-21 but who knows. Maybe Ottawa, maybe Detroit, maybe Montreal...maybe a team that has cap space may look at Hornqvist as a leader for their young-ish team?

Otherwise, now we are back to square 1 with a player who knows he was almost a Panther. That is never good.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The deal included salary retention if you want to believe Rossi and Matheson is a middle pair D, not a bottom pair D.

If 50% was retained, I'd be fine with the trade. Matheson has enough to work with. But that entire cap hit for that length of time...awful.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If 50% was retained, I'd be fine with the trade. Matheson has enough to work with. But that entire cap hit for that length of time...awful.

I think you're underestimating what a defenseman like Matheson would get in free agency.

If Florida retained enough money to make it $4 million AAV for Matheson, I think that's a fine deal for the Penguins. $2.5 million or so for Matheson is a downright steal.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Guys when I get so old that I literally snap at every single innocuous comment and that is the sum total of my contributions I super-promise to delete my account and not put ya'll through me screaming into the void.

So probably like another year or two at this rate.

Part of the reason I left another board if because it was being run, and overrun, by precisely these types.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
If this officially falls through, Hornqvist is a Pen for life, I can’t see anyone taking his contract uninsured.
has anyone actually explained how this shit works? was this a thing before? i can't say i've ever heard of players being unable to be insured, to the point it becomes an actual problem that effects the normal machinations of the game, in any sport before. but i'm a dumbass. i've heard some inklings before of things like this but it was never a real issue

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Salary retention does change it a bit, but only if we’re definitely moving JJ. Not planning on it, but actually doing it, and it just hasn’t been announced yet.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
has anyone actually explained how this shit works? was this a thing before? i can't say i've ever heard of players being unable to be insured, to the point it becomes a problem, in any sport before. but i'm a dumbass

Yeah, I feel like this is getting overlooked too, so I’m glad I’m not the only one. How is he playing without his contract being insured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad