Proposal: Matheson away from Florida

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
With Josi and Ekholm already on the left side that's a lot of salary and term on the 3rd pairing just to ditch Turris' contract. Sure, if Matheson regains form we could trade him for value, but if he doesn't I think we're in a worse situation than we are with Turris.

I think our third pairing has been bad for so long that I'd rather have an overpaid 2nd pairing guy in that spot holding it down than Turris with no real spot.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Matheson to Detroit...

How would that deal look?

Any opinions?
You propose: I didn't see an obvious move; I typically assume that it would be bad contract for bad contract. Adbelkader is the only bad contract, but his contract is less than MAtheson's...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Panthers could use a power forward on the third line, even if he's overpaid it's useful, which is more than you can say about him on defense. And Matheson played pretty well at forward after he first got moved there. Did he become a liability or something up front after those first games? I didn't hear about it and next thing I know he's back on D.

I don't know enough about his play there but it seems to me that option should be fully explored before he is traded for another bad contract.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think our third pairing has been bad for so long that I'd rather have an overpaid 2nd pairing guy in that spot holding it down than Turris with no real spot.
We've got 4 prospects that could be in the mix for those spots this season. Some combo of them and the dregs we already had will suffice for the regular season. If we need to upgrade for the playoffs then make a cheap deadline deal. The 3rd pairing, shabby as it may be, isn't what is holding us back, and it remains to be seen whether Matheson would fix anything anyway.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The Panthers could use a power forward on the third line, even if he's overpaid it's useful, which is more than you can say about him on defense. And Matheson played pretty well at forward after he first got moved there. Did he become a liability or something up front after those first games? I didn't hear about it and next thing I know he's back on D.

I don't know enough about his play there but it seems to me that option should be fully explored before he is traded for another bad contract.
Injuries on defense iirc led to Matheson being shifted back. I think Weegar was injured around then?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ya Q tried him on the 4th line with Pysyk and Boyle/Acciari iirc and it worked well for a couple games, they were one of the better lines.
I'd hope they try him as bottom 6 forward as well, he does have wheels so it'd make sense to use him as a winger who can skate the puck through NZ and has defensive tendencies to stay back as a hybrid forfenseman, he could score simply driving the net or collecting garbage goals out front, he isn't shy to get physical.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
You propose: I didn't see an obvious move; I typically assume that it would be bad contract for bad contract. Adbelkader is the only bad contract, but his contract is less than MAtheson's...

I was thinking no bad contracts going back, but a 1st or something from Florida.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ya Q tried him on the 4th line with Pysyk and Boyle/Acciari iirc and it worked well for a couple games, they were one of the better lines.
I'd hope they try him as bottom 6 forward as well, he does have wheels so it'd make sense to use him as a winger who can skate the puck through NZ and has defensive tendencies to stay back as a hybrid forfenseman.

I don't get it. He's fast, he can hit, he drives the net. Those players are hard to play against. He needs to learn a few forward tricks maybe but that's a much better option for the Panthers than keeping him on D or trading him for another boat anchor.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Admitting I have not watched this guy play much at all, I wonder how he compares in value to Zaitsev.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I’d move Matheson for Lucic all day. He’s not the same force to be reckoned with, but he’s still a bad mofo and we need guys that will mix it up at times. The fact that he only has a couple years left where Math has 6, that’s another plus. Don’t think I see Calgary doing that.

friend of mine, Rattrick, and I were also discussing Turris for Matheson. Matheson just needs to go, hope he bounces back, but that’s addition by subtraction. And the Panthers need a 2C.

1) I disagree a team "needs" someone to mix it up.
2) Lucic is not a force to be reckoned with
3) His skating is horrendous

I'd take a chance a youngish D figures it out rather than an old broken down PF somehow regains what has been physically lost.

Reactions: majormajor

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why not pencil Matheson in at forward for next season?

I don't get it. He's fast, he can hit, he drives the net. Those players are hard to play against. He needs to learn a few forward tricks maybe but that's a much better option for the Panthers than keeping him on D or trading him for another boat anchor.

It's possible, but still not ideal: I wouldn't mind sending him to the AHL to learn how to be a forward and bring him up

Why trade him? A guy like Turris (for example) would add a lot of value to our roster: we have good wing depth with Huby, Connolly, Vatrano, probably one of Dadanov/Hoffman, and our best prospects are all wingers in Tippett/Denisenko.

Edit: Moreover, I'm a bit worried about needing to re-sign Huby say in 2023 with the salary cap...it would be easier having an expired contract or trying to trade one year of Turris to get the room for Huby..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's possible, but still not ideal: I wouldn't mind sending him to the AHL to learn how to be a forward and bring him up

Why trade him? A guy like Turris (for example) would add a lot of value to our roster: we have good wing depth with Huby, Connolly, Vatrano, probably one of Dadanov/Hoffman, and our best prospects are all wingers in Tippett/Denisenko.

Edit: Moreover, I'm a bit worried about needing to re-sign Huby say in 2023 with the salary cap...it would be easier having an expired contract or trying to trade one year of Turris to get the room for Huby..

With Turris I could see it, he's still a decent player he just doesn't have much scoring touch in recent seasons. But Lucic or some other terrible deal, there's no way the Panthers should touch that.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
With Turris I could see it, he's still a decent player he just doesn't have much scoring touch in recent seasons. But Lucic or some other terrible deal, there's no way the Panthers should touch that.
Eh with Lucic it is really term: getting those 3 years off would be killer and help us re-sign Huberdeau. Plus we could hope that being in a less pressure heavy environment would help.

also I was thinking: if we don’t re-sign Pysyk, Matheson is more appealing on the wing: I think having two defensemen on the wing would be quite excess...

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I feel like Matheson almost single handedly cost FLA in their play-in. He seems to take the dumbest penalties and is always on the wrong end of game changing plays. Not sure why he's so bad now. I don't think they can play him and try to improve at the same time.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I feel like Matheson almost single handedly cost FLA in their play-in. He seems to take the dumbest penalties and is always on the wrong end of game changing plays. Not sure why he's so bad now. I don't think they can play him and try to improve at the same time.

They can try him in the OZ more or try him as a bottom 6 forward.
He was paired with Yandle and Stralman for most part, he overthinks things in DZ.
The hope among FLA fans a couple years ago was he would be a decent #3/two way D, maybe on top pair with Ekblad but Weegar played on his off-side and clicked better.
Matheson has the offense, just not doing well defensively as his DZ/QOC went up.
All the tools in the kit but can't put 3 or 4 of the 5 together at once.

He can flat out fly from one end to the other, they don't allow him to skate the puck a lot, he's always in the DZ.
Watch some of his highlight reel goals, it's usually end to end rushes that start it off.
We should eat another year and be open to paying SEA to take him with 5 years left (FLA and/or another middle team retaining 600-800k).
Matheson @ $3.2 to 3.5 million is easier to take. Zaitsev like deal if possible.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We should eat another year and be open to paying SEA to take him with 5 years left (FLA and/or another middle team retaining too).

Agree with this.
May not even need to pay Seattle, depending on who else you are forced to expose.

His value likely only goes up from where it is now

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
His skill set seems like something that could really compliment Weber well and he's still young, so with a change of scenery he could very well bounce back. Its the 6 years left on the deal that is the obvious reason not to take the risk though. In my assuredly-illegal-under-the-CBA proposal I'll say:

conditional Matheson + conditional FLA 2021 1st for conditional MTL 2021 2nd

MTL is given Matheson and a 1st and he plays the year in MTL. At the end of the year MTL can chose to either return Matheson + the 1st or they can chose to send back their own 2nd. If it works out for him in MTL Florida gives up a 1st to get what is a dead weight for them off the books, but they do get a 2nd back based on him rebounding. MTL would get an overpaid but useful player and an upgrade in picks for taking the chance. If he doesn't work out in MTL then he gets returned and everyone keeps their own picks. Florida gets a 1 year reprieve from a bad contract and it doesn't cost them anything. MTL gets to take a chance on a reclamation project and wipes their hands of him if it doesn't work out.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Agree with this.
May not even need to pay Seattle, depending on who else you are forced to expose.

His value likely only goes up from where it is now

We should be fine protection wise up front depending on whether we re-sign Hoffman or Dadonov, if both walk then we are definitely fine with protecting 7 F's.
On defense, some want to move Yandle because he needs protection. If he stays, we protect Yandle, Ekblad and likely Weegar, exposing Stralman, Stillman and Matheson.
Matheson has a clause kick in after expansion draft. Moving out one of them (Yandle/Matheson) is a must but getting rid of both them within the next two years would be a dream.
IF one stays, it's Matheson, he will cost more to move than Yandle.

His skill set seems like something that could really compliment Weber well and he's still young, so with a change of scenery he could very well bounce back. Its the 6 years left on the deal that is the obvious reason not to take the risk though. In my assuredly-illegal-under-the-CBA proposal I'll say:
conditional Matheson + conditional FLA 2021 1st for conditional MTL 2021 2nd
MTL is given Matheson and a 1st and he plays the year in MTL. At the end of the year MTL can chose to either return Matheson + the 1st or they can chose to send back their own 2nd. If it works out for him in MTL Florida gives up a 1st to get what is a dead weight for them off the books, but they do get a 2nd back based on him rebounding. MTL would get an overpaid but useful player and an upgrade in picks for taking the chance. If he doesn't work out in MTL then he gets returned and everyone keeps their own picks. Florida gets a 1 year reprieve from a bad contract and it doesn't cost them anything. MTL gets to take a chance on a reclamation project and wipes their hands of him if it doesn't work out.

What kind of clause is this?
You buy Matheson, he's yours, no trade backs.
I wouldn't move the 2021 1st until we have a better idea of where it lands.
FLA may be a bottom 10 team if Hoffman and Dadonov both walk and we move one of Yandle/Matheson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad