Post-Game Talk: Matheson and Reimer special lead to 3rd period choke job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pragmatic Panther

Feb 7, 2018
I'm just so confused with our system. We never get consistent forechecking pressure, we don't battle hard for pucks in our own zone, and when we are up in the 3rd period, we just allow the other team to have the puck.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Because he sucks. But the entire sequence by Matheson was trash. We're in their zone, puck moves to matheson, plenty of time and he decides to take 3 seconds to pump fake and then shoot it off the defenders shins. Eventually botches the clearing attempt like he does 5 times a game and then stands flat footed and waves his stick at the shooter. Complete individual breakdown. He is the worst player in the league, I don't give a **** how nice his skating looks. He can throw on a leotard and take up figure skating for all I ****ing care

This x100000000

Matheson is the worst player I've seen in a long time. How on earth did they ever think to give this kid that kind of money? He's f***ING HORRIBLE.

Buy him out and keep Reimer as of right now. Matheson is a plague on this team that needs to be gone. Tallon is no idiot, he knows it too.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'm just so confused with our system. We never get consistent forechecking pressure, we don't battle hard for pucks in our own zone, and when we are up in the 3rd period, we just allow the other team to have the puck.

They aren't forechecking unless the opposing players have a decent control over the puck in their zone, it's just neutral zone trap otherwise. All of the dmen are struggling more or less in their own zone in their own ways e.g. Yandle can be out muscled from the puck and Matheson has no awareness in tight situations. Pysuck on the other hand is a nice package of suck in all aspects of defense. Weegar also suffers quite a bit but not so much as Pysuck. But as a team they are struggling to pass the puck from defensemen to the forwards after they've regained control to some degree and therefore the opposing team is able to pressure turnovers in the d-zone.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
No they just need to add a legit
Partner for him. Pysyk is absolutely garbage and brings absolutely nothing. He can’t move the puck whatsoever and isn’t physical. Leaving Matheson as the only one who can do anything. Teams know this and cut down on his side. He’s still one of our better puck movers and has been playing better the last 7 or 8 games. The last turnover isn’t even bad and he recovered and didn’t get beat.

You're absolutely delusional. Matheson is hot, flaming trash. Anyone who plays with him is actually brought down. You don't "reward" this stick flailing scrub with a better partner, you ship him off to Europe so he can rot in some tier-3 Swiss league where he belongs.

Reactions: RainingRats

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
No he isn’t. He is good at moving the puck. He has to do it so often because the other d is so inept that the other team crashes his side with no worries. He has no outlet half the time. The fact he has to do it so often and is the only option to do so leads to a lot of mistakes. He isn’t experienced or elite enough to completely carry a second pair with a dead anchor like pysyk. It’s just not even reasonable.

no question it's a team game and you gotta also look at the forwards. I mean on that last TO, I don't think he had any F outlets on our side of the ice.

(I was at the game last night rats so pipe down...)

still, no other player has so consistently made such catastrophic mistakes. blaming pysyk is just silly, though I agree that matheson's at least OK most nights until the inevitable. also agree that we're not going to just dump him.

blaming reimer is also just silly. last night was one of those nights when he bailed out his team. heck, on one of the top line's shifts in the 2nd (maybe midway?) alone, we turned the puck over 3-4 times, leading to several grade A chances which reimer stopped.

this is just a bad team. players aren't making plays and don't appear to be working toward the same end in an effective manner.

you know what's consistent? 19 TOs. consistently close to double our opponents all season long. a big part of that is team play and strategy of course.

ultimately, it was a familiar story - failure to finish some big chances, mounting turnovers and finally, a catastrophic mistake.

bad team.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Elite pp. pk trending to top 10. Massive step forward by ekblad. Prospects developing well. Career seasons for a bunch of players. All of
Which negated by aweful goaltending . No coach I’m this league can prevent the last two goals from going in. No coach can win with sub.900 save percentage every game. They were up 2-0 and reimer let in two atrocious goals that have no business going in. The goals weren’t caused by systems or breakdowns. They were routine saves that ya e no business entering the net. Period
So I would assume a goalie is coming sooner than later?

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
This x100000000

Matheson is the worst player I've seen in a long time. How on earth did they ever think to give this kid that kind of money? He's ****ING HORRIBLE.

Buy him out and keep Reimer as of right now. Matheson is a plague on this team that needs to be gone. Tallon is no idiot, he knows it too.
I cant even remember who gave him that contract. Was it Rowe or Tallon?

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
Blow a 2-0 lead at home this team is pathetic. This is the worst team/organization in all of sports. They make the Knicks look like world beaters. This should show Tallon they are done. Trade everyone. LETs do another rebuild. Will be like the 5th complete tear down in history.

Inept
Mediocrity
Instability
Pathetic

This post made me crack up, this guys been through some shit

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
We can't dump Matheson because of his contract.

But I hope that Tallon has a "plan". If he's still this bad after the first 10 games of next season, something has to be done and fast.

Right now, Matheson should not be playing in the NHL.

I've rarely seen a player who looks so out of place like he does. Not for an entire season at least.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'll say it once and I'll say it again...only way Boughner goes is if Tallon goes. Tallon has seemingly gone all-in on Boughner, so don't expect a coaching change as long as Tallon is still GM.

Good!

I like Bougher. He's a good coach. I really don't think coach Q will have that much of an impact. Not as much as people would expect anyway. Look how well Chicago are doing now btw!

Reactions: harv33173

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

Because he did look decent at one point in his career.

But now it's basically two seasons of terrible mistakes and complete mental break downs. Tallon knows when players are not performing and he doesn't shy away from trading them (i.e Booth and others).

I just hope anyone is dumb enough to take that contract. I don't even care if Matheson excels elsewhere (he won't), because as of right now it's addition by subtraction with him.

But please, nobody cry about Matheson potentially getting moved, much like others cried about "losing" Petrovic, Petro is well on his way to being out of an NHL job even in Edmonton within the calendar year. Go peep his stats on hockey-reference, his -12.1 FF% speaks volumes.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
This x100000000

Matheson is the worst player I've seen in a long time. How on earth did they ever think to give this kid that kind of money? He's ****ING HORRIBLE.

14 year buyout, lol.

The numbers aren't too terrible though.
19/20 the buyout hit is 2mil, drops to 500k in 21, 1.5m from 22 to 25, and then 600k from 26 to 2032.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
You guys are crazy, Matheson is elite. The guy has more giveaways than Gaudreau and Burns. Only reason he has so many giveaways is because he makes high risk, high reward plays like other elite players. Stop being so blind and learn hockey.

If he didn't keep trying these high risk plays he wouldn't have an eye popping....(checks stats)...17 points?! Wtf is he doing with the puck.

Reactions: MPGA

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
It’s so frustrating because he had all the physical tools. The speed, agility, stamina, overall skating ability and puck handling ability, but he plays like a f***ing idiot. Just keep it simple. Don’t try to make something out of nothing, just focus on D, make the simple play, and if something is there then you’ll have the tools to make something decent out of it. But nearly every shift he does something he shouldn’t. There was another time where he tried to chip it off the boards and out of the zone, instead it got blocked and they went back and almost scored. High off the glass please. Tries a play, or a pass, or something that always works out bad. He just doesn’t know what to do.

Oh but he can skate! Great, what good is that if he plays like a moron?

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
It’s so frustrating because he had all the physical tools. The speed, agility, stamina, overall skating ability and puck handling ability, but he plays like a ****ing idiot. Just keep it simple. Don’t try to make something out of nothing, just focus on D, make the simple play, and if something is there then you’ll have the tools to make something decent out of it. But nearly every shift he does something he shouldn’t. There was another time where he tried to chip it off the boards and out of the zone, instead it got blocked and they went back and almost scored. High off the glass please. Tries a play, or a pass, or something that always works out bad. He just doesn’t know what to do.

Oh but he can skate! Great, what good is that if he plays like a moron?

Reminds me of Kulikov, except with zero physicality or toughness

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I have faith that the trade wizard that is Dale Tallon can find a team to take his contract considering his age.

I think they have a decent leash on him, for now anyways. Probably are holding out a year or two for him to "turn it around", before freaking out on how to move his deal.

Matheson for Lawson Crouse.

Only half kidding.

I would trade him for Gudbranson straight up. At least when Gudbranson screws up defensively I know he does it with character. Matheson is soulless.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Because he sucks. But the entire sequence by Matheson was trash. We're in their zone, puck moves to matheson, plenty of time and he decides to take 3 seconds to pump fake and then shoot it off the defenders shins. Eventually botches the clearing attempt like he does 5 times a game and then stands flat footed and waves his stick at the shooter. Complete individual breakdown. He is the worst player in the league, I don't give a **** how nice his skating looks. He can throw on a leotard and take up figure skating for all I ****ing care
I actually thought it was Yandle before I saw the number.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Second time this season we blow a 3rd period lead against the Blues.

Did not watch the game and looks like i made the right decision.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Because he did look decent at one point in his career.

But now it's basically two seasons of terrible mistakes and complete mental break downs. Tallon knows when players are not performing and he doesn't shy away from trading them (i.e Booth and others).

I just hope anyone is dumb enough to take that contract. I don't even care if Matheson excels elsewhere (he won't), because as of right now it's addition by subtraction with him.

But please, nobody cry about Matheson potentially getting moved, much like others cried about "losing" Petrovic, Petro is well on his way to being out of an NHL job even in Edmonton within the calendar year. Go peep his stats on hockey-reference, his -12.1 FF% speaks volumes.

Who the hell cried when Petrovic was moved?

I think everyone was delighted. Might be the only time this season everyone was on the same page lol.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad