GWT: Matchweek 28: Midweek fun

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Keita hasn't created direct chances but he's opened up space a lot. Still, he's been pretty underwhelming aside from a few bright glimpses of what he can do. Definitely disappointing so far, but there's clearly talent there.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have closely watched Keita the past few games and he is by far at his best when dribbling forward and breaking defense. He is not a good long passer and his shot is average at best. He likes to play direct and give pass through balls. That being said I think his ideal position would be the false nine or as a rover behind the striker. I would try him at Firmino role (if he is out) I think he could thrive.

I definately can see his potential.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have closely watched Keita the past few games and he is by far at his best when dribbling forward and breaking defense. He is not a good long passer and his shot is average at best. He likes to play direct and give pass through balls. That being said I think his ideal position would be the false nine or as a rover behind the striker. I would try him at Firmino role (if he is out) I think he could thrive.

I definately can see his potential.
I actually think he's just fine where he is. Having someone in the midfield that can break the lines and carry the ball up to create space for the front 3 would be huge if he can do it consistently. Right now only really Wijnaldum does this from time to time and it almost always leads to a dangerous attack, but he's a lot less adventurous by nature. It's something Chambo did really well in his time with us too.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Fewest goals from midfielders in the league, I believe. I think a priority this summer has to be a Fekir-type.

Two midfields next year: Keita and Mystery Man in front of Fabinho; Ox and Wijnaldum in front of Henderson.

A striker would also provide a lot of flexibility since he could be rotated with Firmino or allow Firmino to drop into midfield.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fewest goals from midfielders in the league, I believe. I think a priority this summer has to be a Fekir-type.

Two midfields next year: Keita and Mystery Man in front of Fabinho; Ox and Wijnaldum in front of Henderson.

A striker would also provide a lot of flexibility since he could be rotated with Firmino or allow Firmino to drop into midfield.
Liverpool cannot go another season without fixing their forward depth. They need at least two front men. They have midfielders up to their ears and not enough space for all of them as is.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Liverpool cannot go another season without fixing their forward depth. They need at least two front men. They have midfielders up to their ears and not enough space for all of them as is.
Then sign a #9 for the flexibility I mentioned.

They may have quantity of midfielders but they still need a better attacking midfielder. With Keita out of form they're relying on Wijnaldum to be the most creative midfielder and that's not going to be good enough. If Keita isn't guaranteed on the team sheet (he isn't) you're left with Wijnaldum-Henderson-Fabinho some weeks and that's not good enough either.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Not really sure how the FA decided on the games (all the top-6 playing on Wednesday - turns out they're at the same time as Real-Barca, so won't watch any PL games anyway :D ), but sometimes it's cool to just watch mid-table / bottom clubs duke it out.

Ended up watching Newcastle - Burnley.

Thing is, I remember Newcastle as a PL champion and a club Dinamo played in 98 in the CL qualification (and was robbed by the ref, but let's not get into that hah).
So, I'm sorta split when I watch them - I wanted them to win yesterday, but at the same time the whole Mike Ashley thing... I don't know, does it get better before hitting rock bottom?
Would the average Newcastle fan prefer to lose and go down if that meant Ashley would sell his bit and go away?

Anyway...
I know Rafa had a bad stretch at Madrid, but the job he's doing with Newcastle has been fantastic. It took a while, but the team I've seen tonight and in the Liverpool and City games certainly deserves to stay up and is looking so much better than when I watched them play in the first half of the season.

I'm sure Stray Wasp would like to remember that as well...

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Fred starts for United.

He's like Marcus Rojo in MF. An out of control, walking red card with a random moment of brilliance up his sleeve.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Origi starting for us. :thumbd:

Would be lying if I said I wasn't worried.
Some people are upset Shaqiri isn't getting more minutes. Thing is outside of his opportunistic stints early on he has not shown a high enough level to earn starts with this team anyway, especially since every game is very important. He is best coming off the bench when we're pouring on pressure and he can be a threat but his overall play is really not up to the level of this team.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Some people are upset Shaqiri isn't getting more minutes. Thing is outside of his opportunistic stints early on he has not shown a high enough level to earn starts with this team anyway, especially since every game is very important. He is best coming off the bench when we're pouring on pressure and he can be a threat but his overall play is really not up to the level of this team.
Just off the top of my head, was the FA Cup tie at Wolves the last time Shaqiri started? It's tough to judge anyone on that game but he did not impress other than the free kick he drilled off the bar.

I am cautious about Origi and an all meat-and-potatoes midfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad