Online Series: Masters Of The Universe: Revelation by Kevin Smith

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Chris Wood is also listed for all 10 episodes at IMDB so contrary to what the man baby sites and channels are telling, Adam does not die twice.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
It's being review bombed by incels and man babies, who aren't even watching it.

I'm on episode 3 right now and I'm really liking this so far. They're going deep into character development on everyone.
Ah yes, the reddit pick me guys calling people who don't like this garbage incels.

Here's a thought, not everything has to be liked.

Reactions: Dingo

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It was ok, I see why Smith said that it's not the He-Man show of our youth as He-Man or his alter ego Adam are barely in it and seem to be sacrificed a second time. Real short season with only 5 episodes, even for a streaming service. Seems to be building to towards Teela being the main character.
Not sure I will continue watching ...like many I was under the impression at first that this would continue He-Man's story only to kill him(? a second time wound looked fatal) and Orko off....ouch. Smith says Adam/He-Man is not dead but I guess we shall see. It was also a bleak show compared to the original but I guess that is because Smith said this is more for adults.

It was cool to see Alan Oppenheimer play Moss Man as he had voiced Skeletor and Man at Arms in the past.

edit also cool that he got so many big names to voice characters. Of course he got his daughter to do one of them lol.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
show is terrible

a He-Man show without He-Man...missed opportunity
the old Kevin Smith bait-and-switch

To be fair, it is and it isn't. As Smith later mentioned, there is a reason it is not called "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" like when we were kids. I had hoped, based on original marketing, that He-Man would be in it more so that sucks.

Reactions: Supermassive

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's being review bombed by incels and man babies, who aren't even watching it.

I'm on episode 3 right now and I'm really liking this so far. They're going deep into character development on everyone.

Come on now, yes this happens but there are a lot of people that are legit pissed as they feel it does not do service to the show they watched as kids. It's a lot bleaker, the advertising made it seems like Adam/He-Man were in it much more than he actually is, especially in He-Man form. I think there would have been less of an issue had they used He-Man less in the trailers and other advertising and hinted more that it was a show, at least these 5 first episodes that focus more on Teela and her growth.

Reactions: Osprey

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Come on now, yes this happens but there are a lot of people that are legit pissed as they feel it does not do service to the show they watched as kids. It's a lot bleaker, the advertising made it seems like Adam/He-Man were in it much more than he actually is, especially in He-Man form. I think there would have been less of an issue had they used He-Man less in the trailers and other advertising and hinted more that it was a show, at least these 5 first episodes that focus more on Teela and her growth.

I literally posted a link to a Screenrant article about the reviewbombing and ALL the "usual suspects" on YT are complaining about it and also either spreading disinformation of they haven't watched it. It's literally ALWAYS the same scumbags.

If they hadn't shown He-Man at all/less in the trailers, can you imagine what the outrage would have been then?

The blame falls on these manbabies/incels for either being what they are, not understanding that the season is split into two parts, no concept of long form story telling.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Here's a pretty balanced and reasonable article that I read the other day:

Masters of the Universe: Revelation - The biggest fan revolt since The Last Jedi? (flickeringmyth.com)
Internet fans can be a strange breed I grant you, but there are legitimate reasons for their ire. One of these is the fact that Smith et. al. have played a wildcard here. They’ve tried to be clever. Being clever works sometimes, but you do also need to play fair. The expectation most fans had was that this show was going to be as it always has… about He-Man. The artwork suggested it. The trailers did nothing to suggest it was going to be about Teela. Mis-marketing can cause a defensive reaction from viewers. You might well have a good project on your hands, but if you lay out red herrings in your promotional material, or mislead, you are in danger of active rebellion. So it was that many fans felt they’d been duped with Relevation.
My own thoughts on the show? I enjoyed it. I have no problem with the shift to Teela, whilst expanding on some of the lore (and inventing new lore) felt engaging to me. I dug the nods to not only some of the cult characters and toys from the original run, but also to the Lundgren movie. It also had the right amount of reference as you don’t want to become preoccupied with references, as some nostalgia driven films and shows can have a tendency to be. Is it, as RT might suggest, a 94% kind of a show? Not for me. Is it a 4.7 kind of show as the fans on IMDb say (or 32% as the RT audience suggest)? Definitely not.
Basically, the author thinks that the show is pretty good, but can understand why a lot of other people are disappointed and feel duped. I have a somewhat similar take in that I can understand why it's enjoyable for lots of people, but it doesn't sound like something that I would enjoy. It may be a very good show, but, at my age, I'm just not interested in watching very good cartoons for their own sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I literally posted a link to a Screenrant article about the reviewbombing and ALL the "usual suspects" on YT are complaining about it and also either spreading disinformation of they haven't watched it. It's literally ALWAYS the same scumbags.

If they hadn't shown He-Man at all/less in the trailers, can you imagine what the outrage would have been then?

The blame falls on these manbabies/incels for either being what they are, not understanding that the season is split into two parts, no concept of long form story telling.
And I know of at least two people that went and posted on there who are not incel/man babies as you call them, who were just not impressed with the show as it did not meet their expectations. I never go on those review sites in general and I never post on them so meh.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Here's a pretty balanced and reasonable article that I read the other day:

Masters of the Universe: Revelation - The biggest fan revolt since The Last Jedi? (flickeringmyth.com)

Basically, the author thinks that the show is pretty good, but can understand why a lot of other people are disappointed and feel duped. I have a somewhat similar take in that I don't mind if the show is objectively good and if lots of people enjoy it, but it doesn't sound like what I'm interested in and I may not watch it now.

My suggestion, wait until all the episodes are out.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

The blame falls on the makers for the decision to structure the series as they did, to split it into two parts and to still market it as they did. What would've been better, IMO, is to have given fans at least 3 episodes of He-Man fighting alongside Teela, then had the big turning point and several episodes of only Teela before bringing He-Man back (for good). In fact, having the turning point at the end of Part 1 would've been a great cliffhanger. The concept of sidelining He-Man for a little bit so that his return could be glorious is a good one. The problem is that they gave fans only 15 minutes of him before sidelining him. Of course you're going to disappoint and upset fans that way, and when that's all that they get for at least 6 more months, of course they're going to feel duped. At the very least, considering the lack of He-Man in the 1st part, they should've held back on releasing it until the 2nd part was ready. Netflix really botched things all around.
My suggestion, wait until all the episodes are out.
Yes, I'm probably going to wait until then, then read the reviews of Part 2 and decide if I want to start the whole thing.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The blame falls on the makers for the decision to structure the series as they did, to split it into two parts and to still market it as they did. What would've been a lot better, IMO, is to have given fans at least 3 episodes of He-Man fighting alongside Teela, then had the big turning point and several episodes of only Teela before bringing He-Man back (for good). The concept of sidelining He-Man for a little bit so that his return could be glorious is a good one. The problem is that they gave fans only 15 minutes of him before sidelining him. Of course you're going to disappoint and upset fans that way, and when that's all that they get for at least 6 more months, of course they're going to feel duped. At the very least, considering the lack of He-Man in the 1st part, they should've held back on releasing it until the 2nd part was ready. Netflix really botched things all around.

Yes, I'm probably going to wait until then, then read the reviews of Part 2 and decide if I want to start the whole thing.

I think that's on Netflix. As Kevin Smith tweeted, they've almost finished the remaining episodes. Netflix should've waited until all are finished.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Ok, so I get the fan outrage. Why must my childhood's history constantly be messed around with? You would think after Hasbro knocked off Optimus Prime back in '86 other toymakers/show producers would have learned their lesson.

I felt that way when I was a child (Optimus Prime dying was actually traumatic, no kidding), but as an adult I can appreciate removing the star character as it provides an opportunity for character development that otherwise wouldn't be plausible. There are what, over a hundred He-Man episodes to revisit if one so desires. Temporarily removing He-Man lets the other characters shine, and it is completely successful in that regard. Previously flat supporting characters are incredibly fleshed out in these five episodes. And Skeletor can be truly evil instead of the scheming failure that he was in the eighties.

The other thing, regarding the death of the main character in the introduction, is that it provides a real crisis to motivate the characters for the whole length of the screen runtime. Keeping He-Man in for a few episodes would simply make the audience wait for him to re-appear. The early death helps keep the focus on the real protagonist of the series.

Reactions: ratmanfu

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I felt that way when I was a child (Optimus Prime dying was actually traumatic, no kidding), but as an adult I can appreciate removing the star character as it provides an opportunity for character development that otherwise wouldn't be plausible. There are what, over a hundred He-Man episodes to revisit if one so desires. Temporarily removing He-Man lets the other characters shine, and it is completely successful in that regard. Previously flat supporting characters are incredibly fleshed out in these five episodes. And Skeletor can be truly evil instead of the scheming failure that he was in the eighties.

The other thing, regarding the death of the main character in the introduction, is that it provides a real crisis to motivate the characters for the whole length of the screen runtime. Keeping He-Man in for a few episodes would simply make the audience wait for him to re-appear. The early death helps keep the focus on the real protagonist of the series.
To do these things in a 5 episode arc is very rushed. As you said in your post there are 100 episodes of He-Man to look back on for reference to him being a fleshed-out character. 5 episodes aren't enough to put forth this storyline in a way that would be overall acceptable to the fan base.
I barely remember any of the storylines from the original Masters of the Universe, to a certain degree it's new to me and it's ok. I don't love it, nor do I hate it. I'll probably never thinking about it again unless someone mentions it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
To do these things in a 5 episode arc is very rushed. As you said in your post there are 100 episodes of He-Man to look back on for reference to him being a fleshed-out character. 5 episodes aren't enough to put forth this storyline in a way that would be overall acceptable to the fan base.
I barely remember any of the storylines from the original Masters of the Universe, to a certain degree it's new to me and it's ok. I don't love it, nor do I hate it. I'll probably never thinking about it again unless someone mentions it.

It's 10 episodes. Only half the season has been released. They haven't even quite finished all the episodes yet.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I love it So Far! They just took everything that we knew and loved then just wiped the slate clean so the creativity can really shine.

Reactions: Jussi

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that's on Netflix. As Kevin Smith tweeted, they've almost finished the remaining episodes. Netflix should've waited until all are finished.

The part that you bolded is on the writers. They decided to sideline He-Man in Episode 1 and make the rest of the first half of the series about other characters. Kevin Smith was one of the head writers and the show was "by" him, so he's certainly partly responsible for that part. The part that's all on Netflix is the second thing that I said, the decision to split the series into two parts and release each at very different times. The third part, the misleading marketing, is probably both party's fault.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The part that you bolded is on the writers. They decided to sideline He-Man in Episode 1 and make the rest of the first half of the series about other characters. Kevin Smith was one of the head writers and the show was "by" him, so he's certainly partly responsible for that part. The part that's all on Netflix is the second thing that I said, the decision to split the series into two parts and release each at very different times. The third part, the misleading marketing, is probably both party's fault.

It's a 10 episode season, plenty of time to tell a "long story".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad