Online Series: Masters Of The Universe: Revelation by Kevin Smith

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kevin Smith says that it was a ritual for him to watch the He-Man cartoon every day after school from 1981 to 1982... but the series didn't start until 1983. That fraud hasn't even seen the cartoon, has he? :sarcasm:

On a more serious note, I just noticed that they toned Adam down a lot. In the original cartoon, he had the same amount of muscle as his He-Man alter ego. Now, he goes from weakling to buff, rather than buff and well dressed to buff and half naked.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

If Elvis calls tell him to f*ck off
Apr 30, 2021
I used to love this show as a kid but it is now completely impossible for me to separate it from that old meme. Every time I see anything He-Man related, I get that freaking song in my head. Someone please make it stop...

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Kevin Smith says that it was a ritual for him to watch the He-Man cartoon every day after school from 1981 to 1982... but the series didn't start until 1983. That fraud hasn't even seen the cartoon, has he? :sarcasm:

On a more serious note, I just noticed that they toned Adam down a lot. In the original cartoon, he had the same amount of muscle as his He-Man alter ego. Now, he goes from weakling to buff, rather than buff and well dressed to buff and half naked.

Just like every YouTuber who reviews shows.

"X was so special to me as a kid, I would watch it everyday after school."

All while wearing and displaying merchandise of said show that most definitely wasn't bought or gifted upon them shortly before the episode.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just like every YouTuber who reviews shows.

"X was so special to me as a kid, I would watch it everyday after school."

All while wearing and displaying merchandise of said show that most definitely wasn't bought or gifted upon them shortly before the episode.

I grew up watching the Knight Rider, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, Airwolf, GI Joe, etc.

I couldn't tell you the exact dates when they were on.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Uh oh. We could be in for a bait and switch.

He-Man Reportedly Isn't The Main Character In Masters Of The Universe: Revelation
The marketing for the show, which has pretty heavily featured Prince Adam of Eternia (who’ll be voiced by Supergirl‘s Chris Wood), has apparently all been misdirection and the real main character of the series is allegedly Teela, as voiced by Buffy the Vampire Slayer icon Sarah Michelle Gellar.
I left out the spoiler bit. If you read the article, you'll spoil the twist in the first episode that Smith was likely referring to in the above video. The rumor certainly aligns with that clue and the rest that he was dropping throughout it.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It's being review bombed by incels and man babies, who aren't even watching it.

I'm on episode 3 right now and I'm really liking this so far. They're going deep into character development on everyone.

yeah its pretty good so far, but how many ep does season 1 have?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
yeah its pretty good so far, but how many ep does season 1 have?

This is like part 1 and it has 5 episodes and ends in a real cliffhanger.

I watched all 5 episodes and wow. This is definitely aimed at adults. Some real character development and growth, great voice acting, REALLY delving into the lore of Eternia. I used to think Orko was annoying back in the day but man! Man At Arms, Evil-Lynn, Teela all became much fuller characters. This just solidified that none of the review bombers watched past the 1st episode, if they even watched it. I now understand why Kevin Smith was feeling so giddy earlier in the year when he was talking on his show about reading through the script of one of the episode, possibly episode 3 which Marc Bernardin wrote.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's being review bombed by incels and man babies, who aren't even watching it.

It seems like you're making up narratives to justify hating on and insulting people for opinions that you don't like and haven't even read.

Here's one of those "man babies" who left a half-star review:
First of all, I'm a grown up woman with a two daughters and a son. I don't need to repeat how important is to be fairly represented on media and fiction stories. The struggle is real. I grew up sharing the same ilussion for action figures and toys as my brother (He-Man, G.I.Joe, etc), I never was much of a Barbie or My Little Pony girl. I felt necessary to clarify that, because it's not about a gender thing. But I also know you will not be able to accept that I dare to say what I have to say about the series: What the heck was that? You had the chance. One job. You just lied to every fan, Kevin. Never gonna trust you again. Hope the paycheck worths it, I know we all have to eat, but... I can't believe it. Animation and music were cool and fresh, though
FYI, the WeGotThisCovered rumor was right.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Media outlets have covered that the fan reaction has been negative. Taking that truth and then speculating that the fans haven't watched it and calling them "incels and man babies" is the narrative. I don't know why it's hard to believe that people watched it and were genuinely disappointed. Everyone doesn't need to like what you like.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Media outlets have covered that the fan reaction has been negative. Taking that truth and then speculating that the fans haven't watched it and calling them "incels and man babies" is the narrative. I don't know why it's hard to believe that people watched it and were genuinely disappointed. Everyone doesn't need to like what you like.

It's the truth. The narrative from the hate channels/Fandome Menace is that it's bad. At Superherohype forums, there's been nothing but praise for Part 1.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
No, legit outlets have covered it.

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation Review-Bombed By He-Man Fans

And no, WGTC was not right. You'd know if you had watched it. That review definitely didn't watch it either.

So not really review-bombed by FANS, right? I mean, I just watched the first episode and it rocked.
Osprey's review is from a "grown up woman" (weird self-identification) who doesn't really have anything bad to say, just..."boo hoo Kevin Smith, you lied to us"?
Is this just a weird subset of losers? Because everyone I know who liked the kids show would dig this incarnation.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
And no, WGTC was not right.
I've read a lot of reviews, including from legit outlets, that confirm that they were or at least very very close. In fact, I just opened the article again and there's an update at the top that says that the spoilers that it originally contained were removed at the request of Netflix. Do you really have that much against the site that you can't give them credit even once?
It's the truth. The narrative from the hate channels/Fandome Menace is that it's bad. At Superherohype forums, there's been nothing but praise for Part 1.

I just read the thread at Superherohype and there are only half a dozen people talking about the show. Most liked it, but they still had some criticisms, including the show not being as much about He-Man as they felt like they were led to believe, which is the #1 complaint of the "review bombers." A couple also pointed out that the reactions at MovieChat and on 4chan are quite negative. Metacritic is also super low. It seems like you're saying that you arrived at your conclusion that everyone who has given a low rating hasn't seen it and is an incel and man baby because half a dozen haters on YouTube are critical and half a dozen superhero geeks on another site praised it. Surely, you can see that that's some really anecdotal evidence and neither discredits the thousands of low ratings at RT, Metacritic and other sites.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've read a lot of reviews, including from legit outlets, that confirm that they were or at least very very close. In fact, I just opened the article again and there's an update at the top that says that the spoilers that it originally contained were removed at the request of Netflix. Do you really have that much against the site that you can't give them credit even once?

I just read the thread at Superherohype and there are only half a dozen people talking about the show. Most liked it, but they still had some criticisms, including the show not being as much about He-Man as they felt like they were led to believe, which is the #1 complaint of the "review bombers." A couple also pointed out that the reactions at MovieChat and on 4chan are quite negative. Metacritic is also super low. It seems like you're saying that you arrived at your conclusion that everyone who has given a low rating hasn't seen it and is an incel and man baby because half a dozen haters on YouTube are critical and half a dozen superhero geeks on another site praised it. Surely, you can see that that's some really anecdotal evidence and neither discredits the thousands of low ratings at RT, Metacritic and other sites.

Which was to no one's surprise because that place is gutter trash.

Since when is 70 superlow? Their rating system doesn't quite translate to movie reviews because critics have such varying scoring systems or not at all. RT average is 94% Fresh.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Putting this in spoilers for now:

I didn't see all the 80's episodes because the cable channel that aired the show seemed to air the same episodes on repeat only, so I did not know what Teela is the daughter of the The Sorceress. This is clearly the secret Duncan and Adam seem to know. Meaning she is being set up to become the new Sorceress, not to take over from Adam as the holder of the Power sword.

Reactions: Supermassive

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
This is like part 1 and it has 5 episodes and ends in a real cliffhanger.

I watched all 5 episodes and wow.

I didn't think the first episode was anything special until the end. But by the time Evil Lyn gets going, so does the series.

Obviously, it's not going to please some die hards, but I'll enjoy seeing how this plays out.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad