TV: MasterChef 2023 - United Tastes Of America

Sep 19, 2008

The season started last week. Basically they are inviting past chefs who were eliminated back. There was a challenge where all 4 people finished 2nd that year so seeing 2 advance and 2 fail to get out of qualification was pretty sad to see, but that's the way of the game.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Really enjoyed the first episode.

I do think some of the groups were unbalanced. For example group 2 (season 9 contestants) was far weaker than group 1 (the 4 runner ups; Natasha, Derrick, Brandi and Adrien) and group 3 (Wuta, Amanda, Christian and Lexy).

But overall really looking forward to this season. Lot of old favourites.

Sep 19, 2008
Just finished reviewing it pretty sad he's gone. He finished 3rd!

Love Tommy but he should have gone

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
I'm 3 1/2 episodes in.

They brought back rockstar Sean Avery back, great.

Aaron's been spending too much time with Gordon: I think he just called Tommy "a young man" (I think the guy's like 60).

Seems like everyone's become a successful professional/private chef or culinary entrepreneur after their initial MC run... I have my doubts.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm 3 1/2 episodes in.

They brought back rockstar Sean Avery back, great.

Aaron's been spending too much time with Gordon: I think he just called Tommy "a young man" (I think the guy's like 60).

Seems like everyone's become a successful professional/private chef or culinary entrepreneur after their initial MC run... I have my doubts.
I have doubts about Alejandro working in a kitchen for a while. That thing he did in the team challenge was a career killer.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Imagine just doing a mushroom stuffed potato pancake. Like that should have taken 20 minutes not the entire time.

Sep 19, 2008
Wait, they aired episodes during the weekend? The last one I saw had Bowen gone because he cooked caviar, as you do.
The scheduling is off, I haven't watched them live but they appear to be airing back to back episodes

Latest episode is the restaurant takeover

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Absolute bush league bullshit elimination.

Although it was their fault for letting the weaker cook decide the dish.
I think Derrick should've just offered his opinion on something on the dish or added to it. He had the right approach but should've injected something of his own, something that Amanda could've easily done.

By the way, is it just me or does it seem as if there's a lot of post-production voice over work in this season as a whole? I know it's very common but this season it has REALLY stood out.

Sep 19, 2008
It feels like you could predict who won midway through the 2 hour episode as Dara just looked heads and shoulders better than everyone else. She's so good doing what she does at age 20 too. I admit I had concerns about her being flustered but she remained calm later on during pressure and rightfully won the trophy (Michael was too ambitious, Christian played it safe and stuck to his roots)

It also seemed like Dara made less mistakes too while the others made mistakes or left food off plates.

So congrats to Dara! So proud!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Dara was the one contestant throughout the season who showed what going to culinary school means. As Gordon pointed out in the final, the comparison between her and Michael was stark. She was organized (through the season) while Michael was a mess. Gabriel who went out early, didn't seem like he learned as much as Dara had.

I guess next season will be amateurs again. I really wish they'd copy Masterchef Australia and add a few non-elimination episodes where they're taught techniques etc. and experiment things. Some of those cooks could really use some help, like organizing their table like Dara or not using certain ingredients, like cooking Caviar (really, Bowen...?).

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings
Sep 19, 2008
Been rapidly catching up on the season (had to binge next level chef) but in the Midwest episode the guy in the suit stood out from the first minute lol

Glad he was able to get his

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad