Post-Game Talk: MASSIVE WIN! | Leafs beat Wings 2-1 in SO | *Drops Mic*

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Leafs were lucky to win this one. Thank you Reimer. They were pretty much dominated all game long. You can see who the much better club is currently. Lucky for the leafs Howard is the worst goaltender in the league in shootouts. Howard gets beaten so badly in the shootout it isn't even funny.

I'm just gonna throw this out there....

14/15 season
Kadri 24yo 28GP 7G 10A 17pts +6 Actual salary $3.1M (cap hit $2.9M)
Sheahan 23yo 29GP 6G 9A 15pts +6 Actual salary $850K (cap hit $950K)

Next season Leafs will be paying Kadri $5M+ and nobody in Toronto seems to have a problem doing so.
Next season Wings will be paying Sheahan $1.05M and will once again probably get similar output from him.

Sheahan had a total of 24 career points coming into this season.

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: OMG he has similar numbers as Kadri over a very brief stretch!?!?!? Let's trade them straight up :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

An extra $4M in cap space sure would be nice to have for future considerations, eh?
An extra $4M to resign Franson would be nice, eh?

You talk about bad cap management and you want to open the vault for Franson? 3.3M + 4M = 7.3M... I'm just going to assume you didn't really mean that.

Its all up and down the lineup too.

Nyquist is in the last year of his contract currently paying him $1M, and he's leading the Wings in goals.

He had thirteen career points when he signed that contract. Thirteen. He's had 41 goals in a little over a season's worth of games since then. Think he might be in line for a big raise?

Tatar is signed for the next 3 seasons at $2.75M and he is currently 2nd on the team in goals.

A contract very comparable to Kadri's bridge deal, although Tatar's career numbers are lower.

Until the Leafs start developing some homegrown talent, they will continue to be on the outside looking in.

I hear we drafted some guy named Kadri. Yeah, 94 points in his first season-and-a-half, and apparently now taking big strides towards developing a complete game or something. I guess once the homegrown talent is developed, next step is to complain that you have to pay them?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Now who here is surprised to find a Carlyle coached team in the bottom 5 for shots allowed in a season? That's right, not a single person, his coaching and system has been dead giveaway to that answer for years now.

Now the Leafs are having success now, but they're still not doing it in the most ideal fashion. This team sits back when they have leads and let opposing teams take it to them. This is the worst way to win IMO, playing on your heels is not good for anyones mind set and it just adds extra fatigue to your players(especially goaltenders).

Lets look at a couple things:

Opposing teams have taken 721 shots on goal 5 on 5 against the Leafs
The Leafs have taken 635 shots on goal on 5 on 5 against opponents.

-86 differential, not impressive at all, but where is it coming from?

Our shot differential in the first 2 periods is only -19, which although is not great, is acceptable. The bright side is that they have flirted with being at or close to 0 in that department over the last few weeks, I believe just 4 games ago it was hovering at 0.

Now lets move on to the third period, where our shot differential is a disgusting -67. That is simply inexcusable. Did this team forget how to forecheck? Did they forget how to play the game that gained them success for most of the game? Of course not, that would be crazy.

This team cannot be told to sit back, they haven't learned anything from this under Carlyle?

What's even scarier, in our 15 wins this year, we have a shot differential of -61 in the 3rd period, yes, -61. That is simply ridiculous and is a recipe for disaster, as we've seen before.

These are 61 shots in the dead puck era, this is such a flawed way to play. The 3rd period almost single handily ruins our possession stats as a team.

This is what happens when you have a terrible manager of the game, that rarely uses his entire roster and of course is coaching a primitive brand.

I am envious of all the teams out there that can see the direction the game is going in or what type of roster they have and make coaching decisions based on those merits.

I don't think the Leafs are an elite team yet, and they have had good results so far this year, but I just know it can be so much better with a better coach, both in results and player development.

Come on San Jose, why are you guys still holding on to McLellan.

Tyler Biggs*

Back to back after beating Calgary, you need great goaltending, nice win Leafs.
Optimus was HUGE and that's 4 points in back to back games!

The Leafs won, that's all that matters. 2 pts.

Last edited by a moderator:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
^ this post is so laughably criticizing nothing. Out of all the people to use in your comparison it's Nazem Kadri? One of the only homegrown players that have been developed by the Leafs and made an impact in the NHL?

Kadri's ceiling is not 50pts. Just because one development style works for one team doesn't mean it works for another. Certain plays develop best playing in the NHL. Kadri's current and future contract is pretty much the last thing you should have on your mind. It's really quite baffling where your head is at right now.

And what exactly has Riley Sheahan proven anyways to be favourably compared to Kadri? He was a 0.54PPG (44pt) player over 110 games in the AHL compared to Kadri who has a 0.88PPG (72pt) player over 92 games in the AHL at a younger age to boot.

Maybe Kadri made the jump earlier because he was quite simply more prepared? Sheahan wasn't "over-ripened" by any means, what did he prove at the AHL level that Kadri hadn't shown after his first 40 games in the AHL?

At the NHL level Sheahan has performed at a 0.53PPG (44pt) pace over 73GP with the Detroit Red Wings. Nazem Kadri has performed at a 0.63PPG (52pt) pace over a far larger sample size of 205GP with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Over the span of time with the Leafs, Kadri has worked his way up the lineup from 3rd to 2nd to spot-duty on the 1st line and top PP. 12th in scoring in among centers in 12/13 and 36th in 13/14. Furthermore, his faceoff efficiency and defensive play has improved leaps and bounds over his 200 games with the big club.

The fact is Kadri was a higher draft pick with a far higher pedigree. He made the NHL sooner because he was more developed at an early age. He has performed at a higher level than Sheahan at every level thus far, and has made improvements to his overall game over the same time span to boot.

That is why Kadri deserves to be paid more than Sheahan in the past -- and going towards the future.

--
Also I'm not the type to discuss this kind of off-ice stuff but people are always so concerned with Kadri's attitude and coachability?

http://archive.freep.com/usatoday/a...od?odyssey=mod|newswell|featuredtext|Sports|p

"NHL prospect arrested for being 'super drunk' in Teletubby costume"

Blood alcohol level 4 times the legal limit. Wandering around in a teletubby costume. This while he was supposed to be "trying to earn his way on the big club" playing in the AHL.

Could you imagine if someone like Kadri pulled off antics like this in our hockey market? He'd never live it down. Remember when Eakins said he could condition better and they went on for weeks about how Kadri was fat? He'd probably be traded to Arizona by now.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

I know that this post was like 3 pages ago, but I'm just reading the thread now, and had to give props. Great post.

Tyler Biggs*

Back to back game for the Leafs and Detroit loses? How do you lose against a tired team. Well done, Leafs. Big 2 points.

Huge win!! And very happy to see Reimer play excellent and get the win after sitting for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad