Post-Game Talk: MASSIVE WIN! | Leafs beat Wings 2-1 in SO | *Drops Mic*

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
^^

I had that problem too. That was along the side I couldn't see very well. I saw Naz go in for the big hit, but I didn't see much more than that. Usually it's hitting a guy low, but I have no idea what really happened.

Watching the game live was awesome. Great crowd, and the back and forth chants were great. Both sides were into it, with some good natured ribbing back and forth.

It was an intense game because we were constantly under fire, and that finish was excellent for the Leafs. Santorelli had a great game iced with that shootout win.

James Reimer was the star of the game. What a performance from him last night.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel looked bleh, except for the goal. Which we really needed, so hey. :laugh:

Holland's line was apparently the only line that could get any time in Detroit's zone at all.

Lol best part was when Santorelli ended the game and all the Red Wings fans cleared out it was just a giant collection of Leafs fans screaming GO LEAFS GO. I could have sworn I seen some Leafs salute with their sticks like it was a home game :laugh:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
See, I don't care if you like Reimer or not, but the constant fanboy wars we get over him and Bernier has me pulling my hair out at times.

See, how did you come to this conclusion? It is very difficult to have a discussion about our goaltenders on this board without being classified as being biased or a fanboy.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We're not playing the right way.

Points are money in the bank, but I'm extremely concerned with how we play. Our first line isn't playing well and we're being carried by Mike Santorelli up front. He's our best forward this season, along with Komarov, period.

We need changes up front.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Lol best part was when Santorelli ended the game and all the Red Wings fans cleared out it was just a giant collection of Leafs fans screaming GO LEAFS GO. I could have sworn I seen some Leafs salute with their sticks like it was a home game :laugh:

Yeah that part at the end was great.

It was crazy.

Both sides were loud and into it for most of the game, too. That arena was a-rockin'.

And for future note, Randy, if you can at all help it - the Kessel line vs Datsyuk is straight up a terrible idea. :laugh:

How many freakin' rush chances did Dats break up from those guys?

I'm also really starting to get annoyed with Gustav Nyquist. I mean, I like the guy and he's friggin' awesome, he just scores on us every damn time. :laugh:

Bit of a side note, Bernier's stellar performance against Calgary and Reimer's stellar performance tonight are exactly why I love having two good goalies. Hopefully they get some steam going.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
You do realize that Kadri had been playing professional hockey for 2 years before Sheahan left the NCAA right? And that prospects who play college hockey cost their team exactly $0? If you really want to compare them, you should look at Sheahan's whole professional career (which is 3 years) compared to Kadri's first 3 years as a pro (which he spent on his ELC and according to capgeek cost $870k per year, so he was actually cheaper than Sheahan ($3.2m vs $2.61m).

Come on now.

Sheahan's ELC was 3yr @ $785K = $2.355M. $2.7M total including all bonuses.
He's now in the 1st year of his 2yr @ $950K standard contract.

Kadri's ELC was
1 slide year
3 yrs @ $870K plus $850K bonus each year.
Total including all bonuses $5.25M
He's now in year 2 of his 2 yr @ $2.9M standard contract.

The Leafs paid Kadri almost double what the Wings paid Sheahan on their ELC's.
The Leafs paid Kadri almost triple what the Wings paid Sheahan on his first standard contract.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Also wtf was that penalty called on Kadri yesterday. Does anybody have a video or gif of it, it happened close to the boards so I couldn't see it from my seat.

He got called for "clipping" in my many years of hockey I have rarely ever seen that called.

He threw a low hip check that even Ballard would have been embarrassed about throwing. Anytime your hip check lands closer to the knees than the hip, it's bound to be called now.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Also wanted to give a shout to Cody Franson. He made some great plays defensively to save our bacon a bit.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
man this game was disheartening. we were so bad its crazy. just the perfect example of good coaching vs. bad coaching. luckily we have enough talent to scrape out some bad wins sometimes but this was pretty disgusting.

they better bounce back in a huge way next game, because this game was just depressing.

i cannot believe we are for some reason stuck with this godawdul coach. he's been here for years and last night it looked like the team has never even played a game together before. i have no idea how shanahan can watch this kind of game, knowing full well detroit's great systems approach, and not immediately fire randy for gross incompetence.

and its beyond hilarious that while he mixes and matches every other line he refuses to touch the top line despite it being pinned in its own end every shift by other teams fourth lines.

this game was an embarassment.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He threw a low hip check that even Ballard would have been embarrassed about throwing. Anytime your hip check lands closer to the knees than the hip, it's bound to be called now.

I didn't think he actually went in all that low after the reply. He went in at around the waist, but the guy just kinda fell on him instead of going right over, which pushed Kadri down to his knees and made it look worse than it was.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Come on now.

Sheahan's ELC was 3yr @ $785K = $2.355M. $2.7M total including all bonuses.
He's now in the 1st year of his 2yr @ $950K standard contract.

Kadri's ELC was
1 slide year
3 yrs @ $870K plus $850K bonus each year.
Total including all bonuses $5.25M
He's now in year 2 of his 2 yr @ $2.9M standard contract.

The Leafs paid Kadri almost double what the Wings paid Sheahan on their ELC's.
The Leafs paid Kadri almost triple what the Wings paid Sheahan on his first standard contract.

Are you looking at the AAV or at the caphit, because the caphit doesn't include performance bonuses while the AAV does.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
man this game was disheartening. we were so bad its crazy. just the perfect example of good coaching vs. bad coaching. luckily we have enough talent to scrape out some bad wins sometimes but thisnwas pretty disgusting.

they better bounce back in a huge way next game, because this game was just depressing.

i cannot believe we are for some reason stuck with this godawdul coach. he's been here for years and last night it looked like the team has never even played a game together before. i have no idea how shanahan can watch this kind of game, knowing full well detroit's great systems approach, and not immediately fire randy for gross incompetence.

<Shanahan>Randy's got great systems. He's a Stanley Cup winning coach who knows what it takes to win in this league, it's just that this band of losers refuses to listen and compete.</Shanahan>

Did I get that right?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We're not playing the right way.

Points are money in the bank, but I'm extremely concerned with how we play. Our first line isn't playing well and we're being carried by Mike Santorelli up front. He's our best forward this season, along with Komarov, period.

We need changes up front.

Phil has 4 goals in 5 games. Hes not playing well, but hes still scoring.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Are you looking at the AAV or at the caphit, because the caphit doesn't include performance bonuses while the AAV does.

Take your pick. The point is that lookng back and going forward, the Leafs have managed to pay him twice what the Wings have had to pay and will pay Sheahan for similar performance.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Here's why I don't like him:

His "system is garbage. Or he simply can't teach it properly to his players.
He thinks that Franson is some kind of shut down guy
He doesn't put our best offensive d-man (Franson) on the first PP unit. And if he does, he puts him with Phanuef. This is not 07-08 anymore, Phanuef is not #1 PP unit material.

Its not the system, its the players. The core of this team is flawed, Kessel. JVR, Phaneuf just dont have the drive to perform at a high level game in and game out. This will once again catch up to them later on this season. They can get away with it during some games, but when all teams buckle down they will fold as usual, wait and see

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Take your pick. The point is that lookng back and going forward, the Leafs have managed to pay him twice what the Wings have had to pay and will pay Sheahan for similar performance.

Kadri has played 205 NHL games and is in his third season as our second line center. Sheahan has played 73 NHL games.

You expect to have paid similar amounts for these players to this point?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Phil has 4 goals in 5 games. Hes not playing well, but hes still scoring.

Doesn't matter.

He hasn't been playing well overall. His line is getting dominated. He's actually a direct result of that because when Phil goes in the corners, the puck is always retrieved by the other team.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Its not the system, its the players. The core of this team is flawed, Kessel. JVR, Phaneuf just dont have the drive to perform at a high level game in and game out. This will once again catch up to them later on this season. They can get away with it during some games, but when all teams buckle down they will fold as usual, wait and see

The same core of players were hovering around 50% CF under Wilson. With Carlyle, the same group of players drop down 7-8%.
Pretty sure it is Carlyle.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
This was needed. If they can win against Detroit at home, its going to need something embarrassing on the road trip to get us off cloud 9

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Doesn't matter.

He hasn't been playing well overall. His line is getting dominated. He's actually a direct result of that because when Phil goes in the corners, the puck is always retrieved by the other team.

Be fair. Bozak and JVR have also been floating. The blame can't be attributed to 1 player.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I truly think the Leafs won't really shore up their possession numbers and shots against totals until they have a group of wingers that come down low for the breakout pass and play through contact along the wall. As well as defence who are willing to actually make tape to tape outlets and not just chip it out into the neutral zone or ring it around the wall. Also, last night there was way too big of a gap between our forwards and the defence, giving Detroit free reign to basically make a quick pass up the middle and gain the zone with speed. Our forwards have to show more commitment to the back check, or just stay higher in the O-zone. The defence have to have more confidence to stay up in the neutral zone and not give as much gap as they're giving. Of course we sort of lack the footspeed on the back end to consistently pull this off. Just my two cents. Also, would like to see Bozak'd faceoff numbers at home vs on the road. He seemed to struggle last night because he has to have his stick down first, you could tell it makes him uncomfortable.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Doesn't matter.

Yeah they break even when they are scoring and when they aren't they are a negative towards winning.

Kessel is a nightmare defensively with his avoidance of any possible contact. And even offensively if he gets pressed he'll just dump it rather than possibly take a hit to make a play.

hockeyfanz*

man this game was disheartening. we were so bad its crazy. just the perfect example of good coaching vs. bad coaching. luckily we have enough talent to scrape out some bad wins sometimes but this was pretty disgusting.

and its beyond hilarious that while he mixes and matches every other line he refuses to touch the top line despite it being pinned in its own end every shift by other teams fourth lines.

Never have I seen such an honest post from this poster...I tend to agree with everything said. I saw the game as an embarrassment. Even moreso that they won. Was robbery. Kudos to James Reimer. Great performance.

Detroit looked very impressive. Hopefully the Leafs weren't actually that bad but rather playing fatigued in the second game of a back-to-back. There lackluster play of last season is creeping back into their game though. The goalies have faced way too much rubber in the last half dozen games or so. Cannot continue.

ITS GOING TO CATCH UP TO THEM.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013

Even the guys who do this for a living are consistently chiming in with the same complaints like Brian Hayes first thing he says on hs show the other day... did Carlyle ever get lucky, having the first line on defending a lead with a minute left and Winnik, Santo, Holland, these are the guys you put out with a minute left, not our 1st line of defensive horrors. No 4th line, Kostka on the 1st pp, you could go on and on all day documenting his stupid moves.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Or maybe the guys were tired and playing against one of the most disciplined teams in the league in their own rink.

Based on our overall form so far this season, last night's game was an aberration. Even the top teams in the league play the occasional stinker, especially when fatigue sets in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce