Confirmed with Link: Martinsen to Montreal for Sven Andrighetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I've seen him play every single NHL game he has played so i'm willing to accept that bet.

o-rly.gif

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
When you acquire an entire 4th line it's only natural you can't play them all at once I suppose.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
MTL fan, glad to see Ghetto doing well with the Avs. That being said, even if Martinsen doesn't play much in the playoff and walk away after this season, I wouldn't even say Habs lost that trade, since we simply didn't have the room for Ghetto. Shaw, Byron, Gallagher and Lehkonen are all smallish wingers that already populate our middle6 wings, and next season, Hudon(other 5'10 winger) will also be a regular for us, which we consider to be ahead of Ghetto in our depth chart for the future of this team. MTL need/needed first line talent and more toughness to his forward group, Ghetto was what we already had a surplus of. Ghetto still has an interesting skillset and upside to his game to compete at the NHL level, hopefully he finds his place in Colorado. I could see him becoming a middle6F/2nd PP player with 15g-25a-40p type of season if things pan out for him, still has lots to prove at the NHL level though.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He's a nice filler type player IMO, not a guy we would be playing regularly if we were a stronger team. I like what he brings however.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
MTL fan, glad to see Ghetto doing well with the Avs. That being said, even if Martinsen doesn't play much in the playoff and walk away after this season, I wouldn't even say Habs lost that trade, since we simply didn't have the room for Ghetto. Shaw, Byron, Gallagher and Lehkonen are all smallish wingers that already populate our middle6 wings, and next season, Hudon(other 5'10 winger) will also be a regular for us, which we consider to be ahead of Ghetto in our depth chart for the future of this team. MTL need/needed first line talent and more toughness to his forward group, Ghetto was what we already had a surplus of. Ghetto still has an interesting skillset and upside to his game to compete at the NHL level, hopefully he finds his place in Colorado. I could see him becoming a middle6F/2nd PP player with 15g-25a-40p type of season if things pan out for him, still has lots to prove at the NHL level though.

The only way to lose this type of trade is to extend the guy you got to a $1.5m+ multi year deal.

With the way Ghetto is playing, I hope we aren't fooled. We don't need another loss.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think you can win or lose a trade between two waiver fodder players.

Don't have anything against Marty but seems we weren't the uninformed neophytes when it comes to assessing his NHL skill.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Habs fan here.

Don't believe all the Habs fans who will come in and chirp in an attempt to downplay Andrighetto's value. He's a real good player. I've always believed in his talent and his work ethic was always excellent. He had the misfortune of getting Sylvain Lefebvre as a coach in the AHL during his development years and still found a way to be a quality asset.

He's a really talented player that I wish we would have held onto a big longer had we not already had half our lineup filled with hobbits who play the same kind of game.

Always called Andrighetto was going to become a middle-six, 40-50 points player. I still believe so, and he might have the potential to be even more than that if he's put with the right players. Reminds me of Sergei Samsonov in many way.

Treat him well!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Habs fan here.

Don't believe all the Habs fans who will come in and chirp in an attempt to downplay Andrighetto's value. He's a real good player. I've always believed in his talent and his work ethic was always excellent. He had the misfortune of getting Sylvain Lefebvre as a coach in the AHL during his development years and still found a way to be a quality asset.

He's a really talented player that I wish we would have held onto a big longer had we not already had half our lineup filled with hobbits who play the same kind of game.

Always called Andrighetto was going to become a middle-six, 40-50 points player. I still believe so, and he might have the potential to be even more than that if he's put with the right players. Reminds me of Sergei Samsonov in many way.

Treat him well!

Thanks. Fortunately Ghetto is doing just fine on the ice so the chirping from the other Habs members is mute at this point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like what I've seen from Andrighetto so far, but I think the real issue is that his future isn't likely to be in the top 6, and that's where some of his success has come this year.

If for instance they draft someone like Patrick and he replaces Duchene's spot in the top 6. Then Jost turns pro, and they keep Landy. And we know Mikko and Mack's spot in the top six are pretty secure.

Then as soon as next season he could be battling guys like Greer, Nieto, Soderberg, Comeau, and any UFA they may sign in the off season for that other top 6 spot. Compher could potentially shift to RW in the top six in the future as well.

Then in another year they could have guys like Cam Morrison and Beaudin with a chance to make the team. They could potentially find a top 6 spot, or maybe more likely start on the 3rd line, and shift someone like Greer or Compher up.

It seems more likely Andrighetto will be a 3rd line or bust kind of player. Maybe a 2nd/3rd line tweener, but if he's going to be successful as a tweener, he'll have to be at least somewhat succesful as a 3rd liner., since he'll spend a lot of time there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I like what I've seen from Andrighetto so far, but I think the real issue is that his future isn't likely to be in the top 6, and that's where some of his success has come this year.

If for instance they draft someone like Patrick and he replaces Duchene's spot in the top 6. Then Jost turns pro, and they keep Landy. And we know Mikko and Mack's spot in the top six are pretty secure.

Then as soon as next season he could be battling guys like Greer, Nieto, Soderberg, Comeau, and any UFA they may sign in the off season for that other top 6 spot. Compher could potentially shift to RW in the top six in the future as well.

Then in another year they could have guys like Cam Morrison and Beaudin with a chance to make the team. They could potentially find a top 6 spot, or maybe more likely start on the 3rd line, and shift someone like Greer or Compher up.

It seems more likely Andrighetto will be a 3rd line or bust kind of player. Maybe a 2nd/3rd line tweener, but if he's going to be successful as a tweener, he'll have to be at least somewhat succesful as a 3rd liner., since he'll spend a lot of time there.

I'd be more comfortable playing Andrighetto in the top-6 next season and allowing players like Compher and Greer to start out on the 3rd line.

Most coaches nowadays will say that they prefer a top-9 instead of an old-fashioned top-6, anyways.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd be more comfortable playing Andrighetto in the top-6 next season and allowing players like Compher and Greer to start out on the 3rd line.

Most coaches nowadays will say that they prefer a top-9 instead of an old-fashioned top-6, anyways.

The issue though I think is will he play in the top 6? Bednar will have a lot of other choices. Is he a top 6 or bust type player, or can he find a role on a 3rd line playing a more all around game, and have success with less talented line mates?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The issue though I think is will he play in the top 6? Bednar will have a lot of other choices. Is he a top 6 or bust type player, or can he find a role on a 3rd line playing a more all around game, and have success with less talented line mates?

I hear what you are saying. Its like the good ole days when we had Cody Mcleod playing in the top 6 and he scored all those goals that one year. Also gross that Bednar will have choices next season. I want that bum ass gone.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't see him as a long term piece here, but he adds a nice dimension. Not the type of guy you have in your top 6 or 9 if you're a contender though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hear what you are saying. Its like the good ole days when we had Cody Mcleod playing in the top 6 and he scored all those goals that one year. Also gross that Bednar will have choices next season. I want that bum ass gone.

I think it's a little different, because I always thought Cody was fine as a 4th liner. As opposed to Andrighetto, I think the talk has always been that it isn't clear if he'd work as a bottom 6 guy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think Ghetto is going to be part of the Avs long term plans regardless. He's an interchangeable third liner, those guys are a dime a dozen in the league today. He'll be nice to have for the next couple years before we move on.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Well for starters I certainly hope Jared Bednar isn't manning the bench to begin next season but I am not holding out hope.

As for him playing top-6, why not? We don't know how ready Jost is going to be, and I'm of the belief that Greer and Compher would do wonders for us if they started out on the 3rd line. As of right now, we've got MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, and Rantanen pencilled into the top-6 for next season and I highly doubt Duchene is here come training camp.

I think there's a very good chance Andrighetto plays top-6 next season provided he finishes this season strong and shows well in training camp.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
You guys think Sven could be a good fit with Greer and JTC on the 3rd line?

Little bit of everything there. Seems like it would work.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
You guys think Sven could be a good fit with Greer and JTC on the 3rd line?

Little bit of everything there. Seems like it would work.

If the Avs don't trade Duchene and pick Patrick/hirschier yeah I think that's where he would slot in.

Landy Mack X
Patrick Duchene Rantanen
Greer Compher andrighetto
Comeau Soda grigs(?)

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
If the Avs don't trade Duchene and pick Patrick/hirschier yeah I think that's where he would slot in.

Landy Mack X
Patrick Duchene Rantanen
Greer Compher andrighetto
Comeau Soda grigs(?)

Sven is a good 6/9 top forward with an obvious lack of size.

Yet, by picturing a complete team ... he will always be borderline as he is now.

The point is that your line up will be complete half of the season du to injuries. This is where he provides an additional option.

He is 23 yrs old ! He is fairly talented, fast, creative ... has to improve his defensive game.

And upfront, he is not going to weight on the salary as long as he doesn't have an established value as a top 6.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know Sven is not going to keep producing at this pace and I'm a little concerned he's going to have to keep getting fed top minutes to get anything out of him down the line but it's sure nice to see someone come in and score goals for this team. He's the only one that's scored in the last 7 periods of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad