Martin Posposil Headshots Josh Morrissey

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Because those are the players that throw a lot of hits. Not many guys try to blow people up with open ice hits anymore.
Probably because of the chance of injury of the other player, and the likelihood that you will have to fight immediately after.

The guys tossing hits like this do it so often and act like they didn’t mean it.

Give Popsicle or whatever 7 games. 2-3 if he didn’t light the Kraken player up 3 weeks ago

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Probably because of the chance of injury of the other player, and the likelihood that you will have to fight immediately after.

The guys tossing hits like this do it so often and act like they didn’t mean it.

Give Popsicle or whatever 7 games. 2-3 if he didn’t light the Kraken player up 3 weeks ago
They don't mean to. Do you legitimately think these players want to hit players with illegal hits? Why in the world would they want to do that? Even if they want to hurt other players, you can easily do that with a clean hit.

Hits like this one happen because of recklessness mixed with bad circumstances.

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Pospisil has crossed the line on a few occasions during his early career already but this wasn't one of those times.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Disagree with it being a reckless hit.

Elbow tucked in. Skates don't leave the ice until AFTER contact is made. This is clean.

Morrissey shouldn't be skating leaning in like that either. I think circumstances makes the hit look more predatory than it was.

1) Pospisil - he is getting noticed, so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt right away
2) Screen grabs right AFTER contact was made shows a skate off the ice, but notice it is on the ground when contact was actually made
3) Screen grabs show elbow sticking out AFTER contact was made, but notice how at the point of contact it was firmly tucked-in.
4) Morrissey skating hunched over is going to make the hit predatory looking, but this was not a blind-side hit or targeting the head - Pospisil is firmly in front of Morrissey at point of contact

I agree with the DOPS on this one. Had the elbow not been tucked in as it first looked like on replay, I would agree that it should result in a suspension. I don't see elbowing there - elbow was firmly tucked-in until the hit was delivered, and it pops out as a reaction to a loss of balance. I don't see it anyway - not with the video I have seen, or with the stills I have seen at the point of contact.

Reactions: CF84

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
What stuff? Are you telling saying he shouldve made the hit without tucking in the elbow? Hows that leaving hes feet? Morrissey head was literally at elbow level, where was no way to hit him there without head contact. So are you saying players are low levels cant be hit?

If you make principle contact elbow to head it doesn't matter if the player you hit is shorter or leaning. The onus is on the hitter to not headshot people. If you disagree please read the rulebook. Outside of purely incidental contact you absolutely are responsible for any headshots you do.

If a player is in a vulnerable position you absolutely are limited in the ways you can hit them without a penalty or suspension. That's how hockey works.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If you make principle contact elbow to head it doesn't matter if the player you hit is shorter or leaning. The onus is on the hitter to not headshot people. If you disagree please read the rulebook.
the letter of the law that proves this wrong has literally been posted in this thread.

i don't see this as an egregious hit. Pospisil toes the line, there is upward motion, there is head contact, it's hitting that is meant to hurt. But it's not a chicken wing, 5 is plenty if not too much and no suspension is warranted.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So am I right saying there's no further discipline because DOPS hasn't released any information? usually these things are public quite soon, like within 24 hours after the game ended

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
So am I right saying there's no further discipline because DOPS hasn't released any information? usually these things are public quite soon, like within 24 hours after the game ended
I feel that you are right.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Strong hockey play, imo.

Hope Morrissey is fine.
You either do this to get a rise out of people or lack uempathy. I hope it is the former. He made head contact. Enough said.

So Morrissey cant be hit there then, because the dudes head is literally elbow level, there no way to hit him unless its a major then.
He threw his elbow into him on purpose. How is that so hard to see??

Aug 3, 2010
You either do this to get a rise out of people or lack uempathy. I hope it is the former. He made head contact. Enough said.

He threw his elbow into him on purpose. How is that so hard to see??
As it has been pointed out so, so many times in many similar threads, head contact is not a sole determinant for the DOPS for whether a hit requires disciplinary action.

I understand where you are coming from but the rules are what they are.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
10 GAMES!!!
KICK HIM OUT OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!
LOCK HIM UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Impressive to headshot Morrissey. Dude has a disproportionately small head

Last edited:

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
They don't mean to. Do you legitimately think these players want to hit players with illegal hits? Why in the world would they want to do that? Even if they want to hurt other players, you can easily do that with a clean hit.

Hits like this one happen because of recklessness mixed with bad circumstances.
I think those players are fringe NHL’rs who try to do something to get remembered.

It’s a pretty classic meathead move to slam an unsuspecting player in a compromised position

ijuka

May 14, 2016
but but but 'is feet don't leave the ice until 4 nanoseconds after the hit!
Yeah, but you can launch up into a hit without your feet leaving the ice until after the hit. That's how you maximize impact to the head, actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad