Martin Necas

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I don’t think he’ll be anything like Stillman, at least in terms of how he appears to play. Sure, he may be able to see things that others don’t and may be able to make passes through seams in the D (Stillman-like qualities), but his speed makes him an aesthetically different player. That speed makes him a player we’ve not yet seen...possible exception of Matt Cullen in 2005.

I’m also puzzled by the boom-or-bust prediction. I just can’t see him never becoming a full-time NHL player, and I’m baffled by anyone who can see that in him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It wasn’t that he wasn’t going to make it all. It’s that he could be anywhere from an offensive minded third liner to a stud. Talented third liner was the low end, not that he won’t make the league. That’s what the article said. Having said that he was still ranked 9th out of 50.

I do agree he’s in that range. I hate overhyping our guys. We’ve had a lot of talented forwards drafted in the first round who scored everywhere before being with us. Most fail to reach our expectations.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Agreed there. Bust is used way too liberally. Not making it at all is a bust. Daigle wasn’t a bust after his first season, 50pts at 18 to me does not qualify.

Necas looks good, I just think talk of number one center is pretty premature. Let’s have him make the team and knock a few people out of his way. Ditto Svech.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I understand that folks are excited by both Necas and Svechnikov. I think both will be excellent to elite.

However, Svechnikov has tons of precedent on his side. Whether it is 2OA or First Forward Taken, he is not likely to be a bust--pretty much only Yakupov has been out of that group.

Necas was taken outside the top 10. Centers taken in that position from 2010-2015 include: Jaden Schwartz, Radek Faska, Zemgus Girgensons, Max Domi, Alexander Wennberg, Dylan Larkin, Matthew Barzal. So he could end up being a star or a only serviceable NHLer. I agree with those who think he is much more likely to be Larkin than Girgensons.

But the comps for Svechnikov are players like Laine, Seguin, and Reinhart. Even Reinhart is looking like he might turn into a 70 point player. So being 2OA makes me have more faith that Svech will succeed. I admit that watching Necas has me thinking the same. But I realize that with Necas it might be impartial reasoning.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Is he struggling? I saw he got sent back to the AHL.

Went from playing 7-10 minutes a night struggling defensively for the Canes to 20+ minutes a night down in Charlotte. Just adjusting as a 19 year old Center new to the NA game. Better for his development and better for the Canes current lineup for Necas to spend some time dominating the AHL.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think it's also just part of where we're at, or at the very least striving to be, as a franchise. We probably could have let him develop and take his lumps at the NHL level. He even showed some small strides right before being sent down. But we have a team that is trying to make the playoffs finally after all this time, and we have plenty of older, solid prospects that have marinated for longer. So, as pointed out, let him learn playing a huge role down in Charlotte, give some other, more polished players a shot to help the Canes win now, and re-evaluate over time. I don't think they'll hesitate to call him back up this year when/if he really gets it going.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I don't think they'll hesitate to call him back up this year when/if he really gets it going.
He still hasn't activated his first year of ELC--if I am not mistaken. If that is true, I think the organization might try to keep the extra year if Necas doesn't dominate in the AHL. That makes sense for his development.
He skates faster then everyone on the ice
True in skating all over the ice. However, I like Necas with Saarela. Because Saarela is nearly as fast as Necas in a straight line so they should get some odd-man rushes.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He still hasn't activated his first year of ELC--if I am not mistaken. If that is true, I think the organization might try to keep the extra year if Necas doesn't dominate in the AHL. That makes sense for his development.

He hasn't. Having signed the ELC at 18 and having Sled the first season under it, he's still eligible for another Slide year this season.

He's close though: he can play 9 NHL games before the ELC starts burning, he's at 7 now, and there's a limited amount of vertical roster moves allowed after TDL so there's not much leeway in moving him around.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Summer—so I am bored and looking up esoteric hockey stats.

Necas had a really good 19-year-old season in the AHL. Ninth best of all time based on total points, 13th if based on points-per-game. His season was similar to both Kyle Palmieri and Kevin Fiala from a production standpoint. Palmieri produced significantly more goals, which isn't surprising as I think most of us see Necas as a playmaker in the NHL.

Palmieri has produced at a 55-60 point pace each of the last four seasons. Fiala has 48 and 39 points in his first two seasons.

I think Necas regularly producing something like 18g/35a is a reasonable expectation.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Martin Necas is Injured:
Jake Gardiner, Ryan Dzingel, Martin Necas and Trevor van Riemsdyk, to name a few, are unfortunately battling through various injury concerns, the Canes a bit more dinged up than they'd like to be with puck drop for a new season just around the corner.
"Injuries are going to dictate a little bit who sticks around," Brind'Amour said. "
A lot of guys did their job this camp. It makes it tough. Tough decisions coming up."
Preseason Recap: Canes Topped by Capitals

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
This is still a development year for him. witH THAT SAid, I’d be shocked if he turned out to be less than a 60 point player in years to come. He definitely has elite offensive talent and he plays more physical than I thought. He looks more like a winger right now than a C. But I think 60 points will be his eventual floor. Not this year of course. 40 points would be a nice goal this season. I think he will be a PPG player eventually. Surprised by the ney-sayers. Just trying to not get too excited?

18 goals and 35 assists will be his floor in a bad year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->