Prospect Info: Martin Kaut RW (2018 #16 overall) l ELC signed 7/5/18

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There's one more D on our buy-out list: I give you Avs legend Tom Preissing :bow:

And the list grows. I REALLY forgot about that guy.

In any event, I'm really not that annoyed that they chose to do nothing with their cap space. They'll put it to good use in due time, it's not money burning a hole in their pocket or something.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I think sending him down was the sensible move. He certainly has played well enough to stay up, but he'll get to play a bigger role on the Eagles during their playoff run. And it's good to know we can pencil him into the Avs lineup next season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And the list grows. I REALLY forgot about that guy.

In any event, I'm really not that annoyed that they chose to do nothing with their cap space. They'll put it to good use in due time, it's not money burning a hole in their pocket or something.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact he only played 4 games for the Avalanche before they bought him out. :laugh:

Also, to your original point, Joe didn't buy out Preissing. Sherman did in 2010.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Dumb decision, IMO. He helps the team a hell of a lot more than f***ing Mark Barberio playing 8 minutes a night as a winger. Not icing the best team right now to maybe save money in two years is just shooting yourself in the foot.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dumb decision, IMO. He helps the team a hell of a lot more than f***ing Mark Barberio playing 8 minutes a night as a winger. Not icing the best team right now to maybe save money in two years is just shooting yourself in the foot.

I disagree. While Kaut is better than expected, he isn't a game breaker nor a significant upgrade over whoever will replace him (decent game tonight but ultimately he played 10 min and got 0 point).

It's much smarter as a team to have the extra 3-4M in cap space in 3 years (which should help to squeeze in an extra useful player during a cup run season).

It's a wise, well-thought-out decision.

Reactions: Barklez

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I agree with not burning a year, kids going to come back to camp focused and ready to play and likely earn a spot, assuming these guys come back healthy after the season hiatus or for the playoffs he'd end up in the press box.

I am pleasantly surprised with Kaut, his positioning is generally fantastic which ties into how well he actually does read the ice, you can see him starting to play more physical with some of the confidence he's gained and eventually I see him peaking as a solid 2nd or 3rd line winger than that can play PP or PK. Guy has a heck of a shot, a season with NHL conditioning and coaches should really help him round off.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I disagree. While Kaut is better than expected, he isn't a game breaker nor a significant upgrade over whoever will replace him (decent game tonight but ultimately he played 10 min and got 0 point).

It's much smarter as a team to have the extra 3-4M in cap space in 3 years (which should help to squeeze in an extra useful player during a cup run season).

It's a wise, well-thought-out decision.
Of course he isn't a "game breaker". He isn't now, nor will he ever be. But he is a significantly better NHL asset than Tynan, Dries, Megna, Greer, or Barberio playing winger. If it was a wash, then sure, keep him down and bank on that cap space in two years. But it's not, and icing a worse team today so that maybe you can ice a better team in two years is dumb, plain and simple. You're handicapping yourself now for something you may or may not need in the distant future.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd say there's a good chance we get another forward back for next game to replace Kaut without having to use Tynan or someone else.

And if not... I say why not use an ECU on Bowers and give him a taste of the NHL while we fight through these injuries.

But between Naz, Mikko, Bura, and Calvert I think someone is back Friday.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think the ELC decision with Kaut has changed with the Corona virus. With the season on jeopardy why burn a year, even with the injuries?

Let’s see what the coming days bring before we burn that year of ELC.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO seeing how quickly Bednar answered the question regarding Kaut being sent down he already knows one or two guys is/are coming back next game. I think if he knew guys would remain out he would have said something like: "That's a question for Joe".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad