Confirmed with Link: Martin Jones traded to San Jose for 2016 1st round draft pick and Sean Kuraly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
You know whats funny? All we heard the last 12 months is "Offer sheets don't happen, GMs are all buddies and don't want to piss anyone off for future trades"

So far, Dougie was traded due to offersheet/other stuff, Saad traded due to offersheet, and now the Calgary thing too, offer sheets seem to be trending these days!

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
@rossmckeon: Wilson says No. 1 pick in 2016 to Boston for @SanJoseSharks Jones is not protected

So this means if Sharks are not a playoff team and they win the lottery the Bruins get their pick right?

Guess I'm rooting for the Sharks to lose next season.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
So the trade really is

lucic

for

LA first pick (Zboril)
San Jose first pick
Miller
Kuraly

that's a win for us in my books

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
So the trade really is

lucic

for

LA first pick (Zboril)
San Jose first pick
Miller
Kuraly

Plus $3.3M in cap savings this year, and God only knows how much going forward when Lucic gets paid next summer (and when we are no longer responsible for the $2.7M we retained). I love Lucic and that physical brand of play in general, but that is a tremendous trade.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
So the trade really is

lucic

for

LA first pick (Zboril)
San Jose first pick
Miller
Kuraly

Should add in the retained salary with Lucic. We definitely win, even if the salary is gonna hurt a bit. an extra 2.7 would be so helpful to us right now.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
Should add in the retained salary with Lucic. We definitely win, even if the salary is gonna hurt a bit. an extra 2.7 would be so helpful to us right now.
No, he should add in an extra $3.3M in cap space to the Bruins side actually. You realize if Lucic wasn't traded he'd be making $6M here, right? So we didn't lose $2.7M in cap space, we gained $3.3M. Not as amazing as if we had gained $6M, but still a positive for the Bruins, not a negative.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I think this was another case of not being able to sign a player. Good deal Donnie. Keep up the good work.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

At the time of the Lucic deal, I had no idea Martin Jones had this kind of trade value.

He struck me as being a decent 'tender with starter potential. But not someone worth a first roo.d pick to acquire.

Makes the original deal make a lot more sense.

The Kings have a massive bandwagon. Jones played REALLY well for a stretch. He got plenty of attention. ... Profit.

Very good stats for his age and experience... He could definitely end up being a really good #1. But it's a lot of faith in a goaltender with 34 games played.

Clownarelli

Nov 27, 2005
Boston
Whatever you do, don't trade this pick. Trade your 1st in 2016, but not this one. Has the potential to be a top 10 pick.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
Burke told Sweeney that he was going to offer sheet Hamilton or that he could trade him (much like he did with Kessel)... Sweeney quickly worked the phones and wasn't happy with what others were offering (by others, I mean only teams in the Western Conference). Came down to Flames, Avs & Oil with Flames offering the best package...

Shrewd move by Burke, who knew he had the Bruins over a barrel due to cap issues. We all wish we could have gotten more but nobody knows if that was possible... Sweeney received slightly better than what he would have gotten had Hamilton been offer sheeted...

Hard to believe that some people have a hard time understanding this.

I love what Sweeney is doing with this team:

1- got rid of an unhappy player and a player that would have walked next summer for nothing in return.

2- Looking at next summer, the Bruins will have approximately $20 millions in cap space to resign Ericksson/Krug and sign FA to replace Kelly/Talbot. Gotta love it!

3- stocked up with youth in a deep draft with six picks in the first two rounds. Let's not forget there was not much left in the the Bruin's system.

4- got two decent prospects.

5- the Bruins have two first Rd picks in 2016 that could end up in the top three.

Sweeney gave himself lots of options to improve the team in the future. The future looks very promising and the Bruins still have a good core with cap flexibility to improve the current team.

Good job Sweeney.

Last edited:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I agree, hold onto that 1st for dear life. If Jones is their number 1 goalie then I think its fair to say the Sharks are gonna have a tough year. Only way I give that first back is if its for Timo Meier.

Can you imagine if the Bruins/Sharks bottom out for next season and we walk away with Matthews AND Puljujarvi? I'd **** the bed.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
No, he should add in an extra $3.3M in cap space to the Bruins side actually. You realize if Lucic wasn't traded he'd be making $6M here, right? So we didn't lose $2.7M in cap space, we gained $3.3M. Not as amazing as if we had gained $6M, but still a positive for the Bruins, not a negative.

With that line of thinking you have to add the cost of the replacement. After that theres goals for and against to measure...

I think the real measure here is that we are retaining salary. That part is the unusual part and the part that might matter.

Certainly lucic was worth more than 3.3... so trading him for 3.3 is not a good reason to trade him.

The asset return and avoiding a new contract were good reasons to trade him

Mazzie

Jan 19, 2006
Southwest Florida
Jones is the guy who came in for an injured Quick and won his first 8 straight games as a starter near the beginning of the 2013 season. Somewhere in there he had two shutout streaks both over 100 minutes. It was ridiculous.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Hamburgler was ridiculous too until it mattered. A little bit of pressure on him and the flood gates opened, Anderson made him look like a back up when he came back. Dubnyk is the same, he was opened up like a can of spaghetti against the Hawks. Its a lot easier to look like a standout backup than a standout #1 goalie. Khudobin was an awesome back up, most times I watched him this season (other than when Bruins played Canes) he got lit up (don't know his season stats but I can't think they were very good)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not a fan of the Rinaldo deal but that was minor stuff anyways- THIS Lucic transaction was taking in its entirety was pretty amazing. I know about the money and everything but heck of a deal just incredible to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad