Proposal: Martin Gernat has earn 5 game within Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
He has developed well. Taste of NHL would do good for his development. After trading deadline he should be called up for the short stint. We should move as many defenseman as possible prior to deadline(to make room for Fedun&co): Potter, Belov Larsen and Nick Schultz. It is always demand of d men when contending clubs prepare for the post season

Honestly zero chance this happens. He needs to stay in OKC and play top pair, learn the defensive zone, and keep improving in general. He looks like a good pick for a 5th rounder, but there's no reason to throw him up here. Especially if you want to move all those guys.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Honestly zero chance this happens. He needs to stay in OKC and play top pair, learn the defensive zone, and keep improving in general. He looks like a good pick for a 5th rounder, but there's no reason to throw him up here. Especially if you want to move all those guys.
He needs to stay down there for another two seasons as far as I'm concerned. Unless he's absolutely crushing it down there and they don't believe the AHL can offer anymore towards his development(aka Schultz' offense/Marincins defense)

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
He needs to stay down there for another two seasons as far as I'm concerned. Unless he's absolutely crushing it down there and they don't believe the AHL can offer anymore towards his development(aka Schultz' offense/Marincins defense)

I disagree. I would give both Klefbom and Gernat 3-5 games this year and a few games next year maximum 20. I don't want to bring guys fast like Marincin has been around 20 games and he may suck like youngsters usually do after 20 games.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I disagree. I would give both Klefbom and Gernat 3-5 games this year and a few games next year maximum 20. I don't want to bring guys fast like Marincin has been around 20 games and he may suck like youngsters usually do after 20 games.

too bad we couldnt be proactive for this and bring up marincin for 20, then swap him out for klefbom then gernat then bring marincin back. use up their 20 good games and send them back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
too bad we couldnt be proactive for this and bring up marincin for 20, then swap him out for klefbom then gernat then bring marincin back. use up their 20 good games and send them back.

The odds of all three of those guys have 20 good games in the NHL at this stage of their careers seems pretty darn slim to me. I really have no issue with making guys wait until an opportunity comes up.

We start calling guys up for the sake of calling them up and I think we set bad precedent. Want guys to work their butts off to get here and then work them off while they are here. Not have some sort of set standard where guys know they will get their chance so why work any harder than they have to.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He has developed well. Taste of NHL would do good for his development. After trading deadline he should be called up for the short stint. We should move as many defenseman as possible prior to deadline(to make room for Fedun&co): Potter, Belov Larsen and Nick Schultz. It is always demand of d men when contending clubs prepare for the post season

No idea what you see in Fedun. I'd keep Belov and dump Potter, Larsen, and maybe Schultz. Sad to see Davidson not progress like I thought he should. He appeared to be Petry v2.0 (what Marincin has become).

Give Musil, Gernat, and Klefbom a game or two to tempt them.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Why you guys want to keep Belov and how much you are ready to pay him.
Belov can play on either side of a pairing, can move the puck well, plays with composure, and is showing signs that he's getting confidence in his physical game here. Huge shot, too, but he's got to work on his accuracy.

Ideal bottom-pairing guy who can help out on the powerplay or step up to top four minutes. He's looked worse than he is due to being paired with Larsen (who can't defend worth a damn), Potter (who has no composure), and Nick Schultz (who can't move the puck at all).

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Belov's got some upside too, being that he may feasibly continue to adapt to the NHL game. He also hasn't had that great partners. Potter and Nick Schultz are the defensemen they are and are very replaceable by guys already in the system.

If we ARE bringing up AHLers for a few games at a time (like Fedun and Gernat), I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them paired with Belov, to see if they can develop a pairing that could work next season. He may be a rookie to the NHL, but Belov has played pro hockey for quite a while now. He's no greenhorn.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't understand why Fedun isn't already playing in place of Potter, Larsen or even Belov some nights.

I'd give Klefbom a cup of coffee.

Gernat? I dunno, he's pretty young. I guess a cup of coffee wouldn't hurt in a meaningless season, but as mentioned above, he's got to be 2-3 years away from seriously competing for a spot.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I don't understand why Fedun isn't already playing in place of Potter, Larsen or even Belov some nights.

Gernat? I dunno, he's pretty young. I guess a cup of coffee wouldn't hurt in a meaningless season, but as mentioned above, he's got to be 2-3 years away from seriously competing for a spot.

I'd guess/hope that after the deadline the Oilers have moved some bodies from their blue line and Fedun will be up. Maybe they're just showcasing the log jam of suck that is Potter, Larsen and Schultz.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield

Never knows. Marincin does well now and has chance to win permanent job next fall maybe even during this spring. I expected this happening 2015 training camp so guys can come and veni, vidi, vici
This is a reason why I want give a cup of coffee to prospects.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Fedun could play in place of Larson but I believe they want to give the more established player, Larson, a real chance. Larson has looked very good at times but IMO just not good enough for the NHL.

Fedun doesn't bring what Potter or Belov bring and Edmonton needs more of.

I agree, Kelf should get a cup of coffee and Gernat is still too raw and years away.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Fedun could play in place of Larson but I believe they want to give the more established player, Larson, a real chance. Larson has looked very good at times but IMO just not good enough for the NHL.

I agree, Kelf should get a cup of coffee and Gernat is still too raw and years away.

Honestly, when Potter plays with some edge to his game and uses his body he's not that bad. The last couple of games he's been throwing his weight around more.

I'll probably get blasted for saying that, but that's just the type of defenseman he needs to be to stay in the NHL.

He's a big guy. He can cause some damage and some second thoughts if he starts dishing out the punishment more often.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Fraser trade means that we will not see AHL call ups any time soon

Which is too bad. Perfect time to try out AHL D

Fedun brings good skill, skating and solid 3 zone play. Edmonton needs that exactly.

Fedun plays like a Tanev, who is a very solid bottom pairing D

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Fedun brings good skill, skating and solid 3 zone play. Edmonton needs that exactly.

Fedun plays like a Tanev, who is a very solid bottom pairing D

They've been playing Potter and Larsen over Fedun.

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about how the organization feels about Fedun.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
OKC is just as bad as us this year in their league and for pretty much similar reasons(they have given up 155g in 45 games). Taylor Fedun is +9 with 24 points in 35 games on an awful team and had 2 goals in his 4 games with Edmonton....i fail to see why Fedun shouldn't get a shot hes obviously playing at a high level. Id say Klef, Fedun, Pitlick and Lander should get some time if at all possible.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
No idea what you see in Fedun. I'd keep Belov and dump Potter, Larsen, and maybe Schultz. Sad to see Davidson not progress like I thought he should. He appeared to be Petry v2.0 (what Marincin has become).

Give Musil, Gernat, and Klefbom a game or two to tempt them.

Exactamente

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad