Proposal: Martin Gernat has earn 5 game within Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Someone should get fired if they don't sign Marty Gernat.

Luckily, I don't think we'll have to worry about that. I'm sure he'll be signed soon.

Oct 15, 2008
Someone should get fired if they don't sign Marty Gernat.

Luckily, I don't think we'll have to worry about that. I'm sure he'll be signed soon.

I dont think he is a slam dunk as you seem to be portraying here. He looks like a shadow of the player he was last year, which is to be expected coming off a major injury/rehab. He pretty much lost an entire development year. His skating/balance is not very good at all. That said he does have a lot of potential.

I think it is possible that he doesnt get a contract, but hopefully the Oilers can divest themselves of some junk like Plante and have enough room to take a chance on Gernat.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Definitely worth a contract in my eyes, but he'll probably spend another year with the Oil Kings then probably minimum 2 with OKC before there's a chance of him being up here. Looks to be a great pick for a 5th rounder, but still needs lots of development.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Excellent project defenceman that possesses size, worth the gamble.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Needs alot of work on the defensive side of the puck to even suceed in the AHL. But boat loads of potential. I thin hell play in Europe next year, AHL for 2 years after. See if hes NHL material after

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Its definatley a question on just how much his injury set him back.

If precedent has anything to do with it...the Oilers system bent over backwards to accomodate Taylor Fedun after he broke his leg last fall.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What's the deadline to sign him to an ELC?

Seems they would definitely sign him. They aren't that deep in decent dmen prospects so to just throw him away would be a stupid move.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I dont think he is a slam dunk as you seem to be portraying here. He looks like a shadow of the player he was last year, which is to be expected coming off a major injury/rehab. He pretty much lost an entire development year. His skating/balance is not very good at all. That said he does have a lot of potential.

I think it is possible that he doesnt get a contract, but hopefully the Oilers can divest themselves of some junk like Plante and have enough room to take a chance on Gernat.

I wonder how much of that is just because he's a big lanky kid.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
If anything I see him topping out as a Milan Jurcina type player. Tall two way guy who can move the puck, has spurts where he plays over his head and can elevate his game, never overly consistent but is a valuable 4-5-6 defenseman. That's if he can ever reach his potential. JMO.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If anything I see him topping out as a Milan Jurcina type player. Tall two way guy who can move the puck, has spurts where he plays over his head and can elevate his game, never overly consistent but is a valuable 4-5-6 defenseman. That's if he can ever reach his potential. JMO.

Personally I haven't seen enough of him play to dispute that, just hope that you're wrong.

Anyways I would think he'll be getting a contract and I would be shocked if Plante got a new contract from the Oilers, I could see another team with some contract spots give him a shot though just based on the fact that he's a big kid with draft pedigree.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
There would be no Slovakian towers without him.

J.Schultz-Klefbom
Musil- *Petry
Marincin-Gernat

*or whomever.

Great size.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
... Where's Smid?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

I was talking about Edmonton's future defence pairings obviously. I don't see all three of Musil, Marincin and Gernat becoming regulars with defenceman like Smid, Petry, J.Schultz and Klefbom being regulars.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

J.Schultz-Klefbom
Musil- *Petry
Marincin-Gernat

*or whomever.

Great size.

Lets stick to AHL roster for now...

Klefbom-Fedun
Marincin-Gernat
Musil-Teubert

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
He's still very raw. Rumour is they dont want to lose his rights so they are going to sign him to an ELC but then send him back to europe for a couple of years hoping for some kind of progression. But i don't see how that helps. Wouldnt sending him to the A be better for his progression?

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I know that his injury has set him back, but I still see a lot of potential.

He was +41 last year. That's not a fluke, even though he was on a good team.

He's worth a signing.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Oilers will sign him, no question. Should be a beauty in OKC next year with a summer to add muscle and log hours on the rink with his new shoulder.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

J.Schultz-Klefbom
Musil- *Petry
Marincin-Gernat

*or whomever.

Great size.

Here's some D with great size: draft Zadorov.

Klefbom-Schultz
Petry-Zadorov
Smid-Musil

Marincin and Gernat are long term projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad