Blue Jays Discussion: Martin, Donaldson .. What Else Is Up Your Sleeve AA? (hint: it's Saunders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
@Buster_ESPN: Sources: The Blue Jays' ownership is actively seeking a replacement for longtime CEO Paul Beeston. Dan Duquette among candidates discussed.

Many of us around here figured that would be the next step for AA.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yeah everything I've heard over the past three years indicates that Beeston's contract expires December 31 so this seems right.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
100% pure speculation here, but wonder if its based on the fact that Beeston supported Manfred who IIRC was behind the new revenue sharing plan that ended the Jays $15-20M per year in payments.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
How much impact Beeston had in encouraging AA to 'go for it' and re-live his 92-93 dream is what I'm curious of - what was that "State of the Franchise" media gala - all the big hype and high expectations and it just failed so comically - with Rogers playing both world series reruns over the winter to get us all excited - seasons tickets being sold with big expectations.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
5 year limits and refusing to even talk to Boras clients are all part of Beeston as well.

I do hope we get Dan Duquette though. The man knows how to build winning teams and has built player development powerhouses everywhere he has been.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
@Buster_ESPN: Sources: The Blue Jays' ownership is actively seeking a replacement for longtime CEO Paul Beeston. Dan Duquette among candidates discussed.

Kenny the fleecer Williams also considered. If we all remember him from the infamous sending of INJURED Sirotka to us yrs back.

Oh well better to have him on our side I guess. ;)

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
5 year limits and refusing to even talk to Boras clients are all part of Beeston as well.

I do hope we get Dan Duquette though. The man knows how to build winning teams and has built player development powerhouses everywhere he has been.

Nope that is a fan issue, very much like yourself. That is unless you have a quote showing the Boards displeasure of Beeston in this specific scenario?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Nope that is a fan issue, very much like yourself. That is unless you have a quote showing the Boards displeasure of Beeston in this specific scenario?

He's stating that both policies were created by Beeston (which Beeston has gone on record in the past to take credit for).

It should be noted that we have the most expensive front office in all of baseball, so it wouldn't be a surprise if we brought in a Duquette. AA loves surrounding himself with as many baseball minds as possible (my thought is that he probably polls all of them for opinions and uses those opinions towards decision making). Beeston isn't really a baseball person, he's a business man.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Kenny the fleecer Williams also considered. If we all remember him from the infamous sending of INJURED Sirotka to us yrs back.

Oh well better to have him on our side I guess. ;)

It could be possible that we walk out of this with both if they do enough maneuvering.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
He's stating that both policies were created by Beeston (which Beeston has gone on record in the past to take credit for).

It should be noted that we have the most expensive front office in all of baseball, so it wouldn't be a surprise if we brought in a Duquette. AA loves surrounding himself with as many baseball minds as possible (my thought is that he probably polls all of them for opinions and uses those opinions towards decision making). Beeston isn't really a baseball person, he's a business man.

And where does that say the board is displeased it Beestons stance on contract lengths and who he does and does not talk with, and how that was the factor of Beeston no longer getting a contract renewal.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Mmm why does article say it would be hard for the orioles to stand in the way if Duq moves on? When he's signed through '18? There would have to be huge compensation? No?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah Duquette would be great. He should be at the top of the list.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #WhiteSox balking at giving permission executive VP Ken Williams to speak to #BlueJays about becoming president/CEO…

@Ken_Rosenthal: Williams, in turn, is considering resigning. Promotion to president/CEO is a major step, just as it would be for #Orioles’ Duquette.

As for Duquette, sounds like Baltimore will do all they can to keep him.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 3m3 minutes ago
Sources: #WhiteSox balking at giving permission executive VP Ken Williams to speak to #BlueJays about becoming president/CEO…

Williams, in turn, is considering resigning. Promotion to president/CEO is a major step, just as it would be for #Orioles’ Duquette.

I think I would probably prefer Duquette and Orioles would lose someone good in the front office which is an added bonus. Honestly, I figured AA would be the one stepping up in Beeton's roles after he left.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #WhiteSox balking at giving permission executive VP Ken Williams to speak to #BlueJays about becoming president/CEO…

@Ken_Rosenthal: Williams, in turn, is considering resigning. Promotion to president/CEO is a major step, just as it would be for #Orioles’ Duquette.

As for Duquette, sounds like Baltimore will do all they can to keep him.

Personally, not as invested in who the President should be. As long is Ken Williams is not our GM, I don't care. Duquette would be nice. Stan Kasten has been discussed in the past.

KingTY

Nov 10, 2002
Toronto
It's too bad Morrow is insistent on starting, I think he'd be a great closer

I also wouldn't mind taking a shot on Masterston. Elite ground ball pitcher, who had a bunch of bad luck last year and was battling through minor injuries all year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him put up a 3 War season, actually expecting it

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

You must be new around here, I am one of the few posters on here who agrees with it and defends it.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Sources: #WhiteSox balking at giving permission executive VP Ken Williams to speak to #BlueJays about becoming president/CEO…

Williams, in turn, is considering resigning. Promotion to president/CEO is a major step, just as it would be for #Orioles’ Duquette.

I think I would probably prefer Duquette and Orioles would lose someone good in the front office which is an added bonus. Honestly, I figured AA would be the one stepping up in Beeton's roles after he left.

Resigning as in a glorified form of quitting or re-signing?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Actually, true. I guess these guys can just resign? Aren't they contractually obligated? And funny tweet:
.@BlueJays YOU INFERIOR BACON AND NICKELBACK LOVING CANUCKS STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM DAN DUQUETTE! #USA #USA #USA #USA #USA #USA #USA #USA

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

My preference for Duquette is twofold. It removes him from a divisional rival and secondly, I like how he has gone about building franchises in the past and Kenny Williams has traditionally had poor farm systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad