Rumor: Martin Brodeur leaving St.Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Come back Marty!

And Bring Hitch with you!:laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Didn't click on the link yet but, it's time Lou grooms Marty into the role.

I advised of this a few months ago.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It would be great to have Marty back in the Devils' fold, but I'd want him to have some experience and track record as an assistant GM before making him GM. Being an amazing player doesn't automatically guarantee that a person will be a wonderful manager. I'd like him to prove something in management before assuming a position like GM, so I personally pump the brakes at that kind of thinking right now. It would be nice to have him back with Devils where he truly belongs, though:D

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think Lou's retiring this offseason so it's kind of a moot point, Marty's not going to be GM now. If he wants an apprenticeship with Lou that can probably be arranged though.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I don't think Lou's retiring this offseason so it's kind of a moot point, Marty's not going to be GM now. If he wants an apprenticeship with Lou that can probably be arranged though.

Lou may not be retiring by his own choice, but at this point I'll put it at 50/50 ownership moves in a different direction. If Lou stays, I think Marty comes back. But if they kindly ask Lou to pack his things, I doubt Marty rejoins the organization.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou may not be retiring by his own choice, but at this point I'll put it at 50/50 ownership moves in a different direction. If Lou stays, I think Marty comes back. But if they kindly ask Lou to pack his things, I doubt Marty rejoins the organization.

What makes you say that, cause ownership hasn't talked publicly yet? They didn't talk publicly till August last year.

If they were going to nudge Lou out better sooner rather than later, don't make the guy do the draft and THEN fire him/boot him upstairs. I do agree if Lou's out then it's MUCH less likely Marty comes back but I don't see it happening yet.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
What makes you say that, cause ownership hasn't talked publicly yet? They didn't talk publicly till August last year.

If they were going to nudge Lou out better sooner rather than later, don't make the guy do the draft and THEN fire him/boot him upstairs. I do agree if Lou's out then it's MUCH less likely Marty comes back but I don't see it happening yet.

Some rumblings from the inside, plus at the State of the Franchise meeting this year they talked about how they have to keep getting Lou to move more out of his comfort zone around player access (modern marketing in the NHL). Thoug I will say they praised Lou for building a good foundation in net and D.

It's an interesting topic though, I mean, how do you get rid of Lou and expect to have a good draft? But would you really allow him to draft players, and potentially pick a coach, and then ask him to step down? There has to be a breaking point though, can't just let him stay around as long as he wants. But he's also the builder of the entire team's identity for so long, it'll be hard to replace him regardless.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think Harris would have liked to have a new GM by now.

But he begrudgingly will give Lou one more season because he knows the backlash of forcing him out would be messy.

There is still time for him to make a move but at this point it looks likely that Lou will get to run the show another year and hopefully leave us with some parting cornerstone gifts hopefully via the draft and possibly through trade.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty will go to the Rangers because they can pay more money than us.

I heard he's going to the Islanders, because he also made a preseason bet that they would miss the playoffs. Stipulations were that he goes to work for Garth for free for a year if they made it in. :sarcasm:

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
It's so weird he even wanted to be a part of upper management with the Blues of all teams. he literally has no significant connection to them so I wonder why he wanted to stick around there anyways

DiscoBall

Jul 11, 2013
Stratton (802)
My concern is for the Devils becoming even more of an old boys club. I want a front office as ruthless as Lou when he lowballed Neidermayer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's so weird he even wanted to be a part of upper management with the Blues of all teams. he literally has no significant connection to them so I wonder why he wanted to stick around there anyways

Apparently they asked him to stick around for the remainder of the season in that role, since he wouldn't be playing anymore.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

They had a shot at the cup, and he'd get a ring for sticking with them for the rest of the season. Made sense for him to stay there until they were knocked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad