Rumor: Martin Brodeur leaving St.Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
If it means Lou is gone. I would welcome Marty as GM.
We need new blood / new direction badly. This team is not in good shape.

Marty as GM right now is a recipe for disaster. Lou is notorious for being a one man show and he's done it for 30 years. Marty has five months of management experience and he wouldn't be in a position to surround himself with people who are experienced in that role.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What "new direction" do we need to go in? We're practically overflowing with young defensemen and have Cory in goal. That seems like a pretty good direction to be headed. We just need to improve our forwards. Granted, that's not going to happen quickly or easily, but I don't think massive changes in management and direction are the best thing right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People want Lou out, just so we can hire a guy that literally retired as a player just 3 months ago?

What makes anyone think he's qualified for this job? And if we're getting rid of the old guard and changing the culture, how is hiring an inside organization guy like Marty going to change that?

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
Why do people want Brodeur to be the next GM? Just because he played X number of years with the same team makes him a viable candidate? Shouldn't Elias be the GM too then? How about Sergei Brylin? I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather see somebody who's actually qualified step in to the role. Unfortunately that probably means Chris Lamoriello.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Come back home! Make him assistant GM.

I would be very happy to see Marty come back as an assistant GM or similar role. Have to wonder what type of a plan Lou has though and if he was grooming his son as a successor.

It's so weird he even wanted to be a part of upper management with the Blues of all teams. he literally has no significant connection to them so I wonder why he wanted to stick around there anyways

The connection that he has was that he played there. If was a brief stint, but it sounds like he quickly felt like part of the team and wanted to see things through for the season. It was thought that Marty's playoff experience and knowing what it takes to win a championship could be leveraged in a positive manner with the team. It was also a good experience for Marty to see how another organization besides the Devils is run.

My concern is for the Devils becoming even more of an old boys club. I want a front office as ruthless as Lou when he lowballed Neidermayer.

Yeah, because that turned out so well. With the earlier free agency age now, management has even less of an upper hand with players than Lou did at the time. The tough contract negotiations with Niedermayer (a HOF'er that was worth the money) no doubt impacted his decision to ultimately leave the organization.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Bring him back as assistant GM and let him learn/advise. Lou asked Marty about the move to get Cory at the draft and Marty pushed for Lou to do it. Whether Lou's mind was already made up or not may be one thing but it shows me he at the very least was on the same page with one of the best player acquisitions this team has made in the last decade.

You can dismiss him later if he isn't good at it or when a new GM is named down the road and he wants his own staff. No harm in Marty coming back at this point imo to learn on the job. You have to get experience somewhere - why not here.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Bring him back as assistant GM and let him learn/advise. Lou asked Marty about the move to get Cory at the draft and Marty pushed for Lou to do it. Whether Lou's mind was already made up or not may be one thing but it shows me he at the very least was on the same page with one of the best player acquisitions this team has made in the last decade.

You can dismiss him later if he isn't good at it or when a new GM is named down the road and he wants his own staff. No harm in Marty coming back at this point imo to learn on the job. You have to get experience somewhere - why not here.

Where did you read this? I thought Marty was just as surprised as everyone else in the building.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't think so, I remember reading that it was completed the night before the draft. I don't know where though.

I recall the same thing - that the trade was completed the night before. I never heard that Marty was consulted or even informed of the trade ahead of time.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Where did you read this? I thought Marty was just as surprised as everyone else in the building.

TG's blog is what I remember. I went to the archives and I guess he didn't know about Cory specifically but Lou mentions talking with Marty prior to the trade about the transition from the starter role with a new goalie so maybe that's what I was recalling instead.

Lou also said it was ideal if that deal was made a year earlier.

So no - recalled the story wrong - Marty wasn't in on Cory prior to the deal, but supported the trade after as part of the plan with Lou from a year earlier.

From the next day;

Brodeur said he didn’t know at all about the trade for Schneider beforehand.

“Nobody knew,” he said. “I don’t think the people at the table knew other than Lou that he made the deal. But it’s exciting. Devil fans should be really happy about that move.”

On Brodeur’s future beyond next season:

“This doesn’t affect Marty. We’ll see how Marty is, how long he wants to play. We’ve always had conversations of him making a transition at some time. We have to do it. I’m sure all of us have to do it at some time.”

the entire blog that day: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...only-of-the-present-but-of-the-future-1.92470

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If the time lines is:

1)Marty comes back as assistant GM.

2)Lou drafts well in the next couple years, and guys like Kuja, Q Matteau Black show they can play.

3)Show really promising signs next year, and if not make the playoffs then, make it 2 years from now.

4)Lou steps down and Marty steps in.

I''m cool with that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is there a reason other than sentiment that people want Brodeur as GM?

Obviously sentiment does play a role here, but there is potential of him being good at the job.

Potential is as good as it would be for most other candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad