Confirmed with Link: Maroon to Edmonton

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
I'd put Pirri with Perry, nice sounding as has already been brought up. I think McGinn on the Getzlaf line helps to keep it a grinding line. When Stewart comes back things may change.

As for the future, I really think Silfverberg is a candidate to be moved. The Kesler line can shut down but there needs to be another scorer. Right it is only Kesler.

If they got rid of Silf, that line wouldn't be able to "shut down" as well. Silf is not going anywhere.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
There are 2 irreplaceable players on the Ducks roster, maybe three. Not being irreplaceable is not in itself a reason to make a trade (or defend one). It's just post hoc justification without a point. It would be pandemonium if every player with a replaceable skill set were just randomly traded.

There are plenty of good reasons not to trade Maroon, two of which are his past chemistry with the twins and his past playoff success (neither of which is replaced by the new players, btw). Murray obviously figured the risk was worth it for whatever reason, and I think it's a pretty small risk myself that this trade will hurt us, but pointing out that other nonessential players were also traded once upon a time is dumb enough to be a ****ing non sequitur. If you're going to call me out on my sarcasm, you might want to put some thought into yours.

We traded for McGinn, Maroon was the odd man out and he got shipped out. I believe the right move was made. Should we hang onto deadweight because he might be good in the playoffs (if he even got to play and that's a big if)?

This whole thing about Penner trade damaging team chemistry is total ********. Getzlaf was the one who convinced Murray to bring him in and he's the one who suggested he be traded.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
A top-100 pick is never negative value, especially with our drafting prowess.

A 4th round pick is not worth retaining salary for a budget team. Not when you consider what type of players we've taken or passed up because of budget issues. Never mind our deep prospect pool either.

This trade could have been made in the off-season. My. Prediction is the Ducks will regret this horrible trade and it will come back to bite them.
The Ducks have nobody to fill the role Maroon brings especially with Stewart out

I agree that this trade should have happened in the off-season. I disagree about having nobody to fill that role. McGinn fills that role fine.

Has anyone mentioned that this may also have been done for Maroon? That with his spot in the line-up potentially taken, that he would be spending a fair bit of time sitting, and maybe neither side wanted that?

It's possible, but I don't buy it really. In the off-season, sure.

However, getting traded from a cup contender during the season to the worst team in the league is all for Maroon? I just don't buy that. And again, if he just had to go, he should have been waived first.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
However, getting traded from a cup contender during the season to the worst team in the league is all for Maroon? I just don't buy that. And again, if he just had to go, he should have been waived first.

You and I aren't really on different sides of this issue, but Edmonton being a terrible team only helps Patty get an opportunity for more ice time, especially with how small and weak that team is. I believe Murray when he says it mattered that the target team was Edmonton.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Hey guys

Oiler fan coming in peace. It's only been one game, but we've all been pretty damned impressed with what he's bringing - our team has been full of shrinking violets for far too long. However, most of you seem ok with him moving out.

Why did Anaheim move him? Was he not producing? Too expensive? Not a good fit? Inconsistent?

Cheers

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Hey guys

Oiler fan coming in peace. It's only been one game, but we've all been pretty damned impressed with what he's bringing - our team has been full of shrinking violets for far too long. However, most of you seem ok with him moving out.

Why did Anaheim move him? Was he not producing? Too expensive? Not a good fit? Inconsistent?

Cheers

Too much term for what he brings, especially with our RFA situation this summer. He's a decent player, but not someone who was essential to our team.

Oct 18, 2011
Hey guys

Cheers
he can be very effective when he wants to be

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Hey guys

Cheers

Too much term and $$$ for a budget team. He's good at what he does, but didn't really have a place in the roster after the recent pick ups.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Hey guys

Cheers

We all knew Maroon's days were numbered. Many of us wish this would have happened in the off-season and hate that we retained salary, but we knew he was gone by at least this off-season.

Basically he's a luxury we can't afford. He's too slow to play in a top 6 role, but he's a very good 4th line player. I hope he continues to find success in Edmonton.

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
I wonder if he is happy in Edmonton, or if he wants to produce and play his way out. Either way, good for Pat.

Good trade for both teams. I can see why the ducks didn't need him and they upgraded his spot significantly.

He was a central figure for the oilers last night. He manhandled the flyers, something the oilers were sorely lacking. For the first time in his career I saw Eberle chirp another player. The boys must have felt ten feet tall with Maroon out there. Paddy also scored a goal and had three high danger chances (most on oilers).

Minor trade for ducks but huge for the oil. They desperately needed some toughness. Instant fan favourite.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Good for him. I think he brings exactly what the Oilers need. Glad to see him get a shot with McDavid.

Yes, with him the Oilers can finally look different, yet again, while still completely and utterly sucking, like tonight. :)

As far as Pat goes, I do hope the best for him, as long as it doesn't interfere with our best.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Good trade for both teams. I can see why the ducks didn't need him and they upgraded his spot significantly.

He was a central figure for the oilers last night. He manhandled the flyers, something the oilers were sorely lacking. For the first time in his career I saw Eberle chirp another player. The boys must have felt ten feet tall with Maroon out there. Paddy also scored a goal and had three high danger chances (most on oilers).

Minor trade for ducks but huge for the oil. They desperately needed some toughness. Instant fan favourite.

Glad to hear it. He was a fan favorite here too. But, uh, could we have our $500K back now, please?

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Maroon is currently playing on a line with McDavid and Hall, that must be pretty nice. He has 2 assists tonight.

That seems almost like playing 3 defensemen. McDavid and Hall have so much speed and Maroon - well, he's big.

Hope Maroon does well -- seems like a good guy with some useful skills. Hopefully he's able to find the motivation and consistency he hasn't showed in Anaheim.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I just don't buy the argument that Murray couldn't have gotten that exact same return (or better) this offseason. I get the argument I guess, but nothing anyone can say can convince me that Murray was right to trade him at the TDL

ForzaFCBAnaheim

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
I just don't buy the argument that Murray couldn't have gotten that exact same return (or better) this offseason. I get the argument I guess, but nothing anyone can say can convince me that Murray was right to trade him at the TDL

I think it's a typical move of a budget team. It saves them about 350-400k this year, and gives them more cap space for future years to re-sign more important players.

He didn't have a very good year, mainly being a bottom 6 guy. They tried him out for 60 games and he wasn't the same as in last year's playoffs. With Perron working, and getting Pirri, McGinn, and getting Stewart back soon, I think they felt it's more likely those guys can fill the same spot/role, and do it better. If they work, it wouldn't make sense breaking up the lines come playoff time, hoping Maroon becomes the same player as he was during last year's playoffs. So in all, he was rather expendable. More of a luxury, in case the others wouldn't gel. And that's a luxury a budget team can't really afford.

Plus, not the least important, there's the risk of him getting injured, blocking any sort of trade during the off-season. A risk Anaheim can't afford either, I'd guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad