Confirmed with Link: Maroon to Edmonton

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I'd put Pirri with Perry, nice sounding as has already been brought up. I think McGinn on the Getzlaf line helps to keep it a grinding line. When Stewart comes back things may change.

As for the future, I really think Silfverberg is a candidate to be moved. The Kesler line can shut down but there needs to be another scorer. Right it is only Kesler.

A lot will depend on how the playoffs go and what we do with our RFA's and what's available.

John

Chexxum

Feb 1, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'm not sure how much I should read into this, but I got a sinking feeling in my stomach reading that.

Same, this feels like when GMBM shipped off Penner at the deadline and it seemed to mess with the chemistry in the locker room. Hopefully we're just looking into this too deeply.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
He meant a lot in the locker room must be relative to his lack of on ice contributions.

I like that Maroon is basically an NHL fringer doing the best with his tools to make a career. So I am a fan of his. But if this team falls apart because a 4th liner gets traded, then that's just too many degrees of silly to comment on.

This team is stronger now. And if Pirri or McGinn catch on like Perron has so far, our scoring ability could rival the best scoring ability we have seen on an Anaheim squad. As well as some solid defense and special teams action.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Same, this feels like when GMBM shipped off Penner at the deadline and it seemed to mess with the chemistry in the locker room. Hopefully we're just looking into this too deeply.

There ya go.

We did not lose due to a lack of locker room chemistry due to Penner's departure. Nor will we lose because of the same reasons due to Maroon's departure.

If this team is THAT weak, that a trade of a VERY minor impact player affects our chemistry THAT much, then we have major issues.

This Maroon trade was a great trade from both team's perspectives and ought to remain that way.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
There ya go.

We did not lose due to a lack of locker room chemistry due to Penner's departure. Nor will we lose because of the same reasons due to Maroon's departure.

If this team is THAT weak, that a trade of a VERY minor impact player affects our chemistry THAT much, then we have major issues.

This Maroon trade was a great trade from both team's perspectives and ought to remain that way.

Maroon is a big guy who was great behind the net/along the boards/passing down low. I think that is way bigger loss than the chemistry - he was a complementary player, for sure, but he was damn good at what he was doing.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

The thing with the Penner move was that it opened up an actual hole, not just one in the locker room. It seemed to happen in anticipation, and the deals we were after then fell through. Also, Penner's contributions that season, while definitely inconsistent, had been much bigger than Pat's this year. This time, we've filled out the roster beforehand, and then moved who had been replaced. I don't think there are any Penner-parallels.

On a less than serious note, McGinn was said to be a good and Pirri a great locker room guy, the latter also being the team's DJ. Once he's moved up the locker-hierarchy enough for that, it's one area where I think an upgrade could be really needed. :)

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Maroon is a big guy who was great behind the net/along the boards/passing down low. I think that is way bigger loss than the chemistry - he was a complementary player, for sure, but he was damn good at what he was doing.

Agreed. His skills are not found in many players on this roster. But his skills never led to much success. People are able to blame him, coaching, his linemates, etc. But he never generated much success and especially with what his price tag was becoming...

We are better off making this trade. And better off making it now. I have seen/heard some mention that we ought to have made this trade in the offseason which is a bewildering statement to me. No way after a sub-par season and due to make more for the next two season would we be able to get more than we did in this trade. In addition, simply riding ourselves of his contract in a plus (granted, at 25% retained).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The thing with the Penner move was that it opened up an actual hole, not just one in the locker room. It seemed to happen in anticipation, and the deals we were after then fell through. Also, Penner's contributions that season, while definitely inconsistent, had been much bigger than Pat's this year. This time, we've filled out the roster beforehand, and then moved who had been replaced. I don't think there are any Penner-parallels.

On a less than serious note, McGinn was said to be a good and Pirri a great locker room guy, the latter also being the team's DJ. Once he's moved up the locker-hierarchy enough for that, it's one area where I think an upgrade could be really needed. :)

Who is our current DJ and what is he playing? Curious

Agreed. His skills are not found in many players on this roster. But his skills never led to much success. People are able to blame him, coaching, his linemates, etc. But he never generated much success and especially with what his price tag was becoming...

We are better off making this trade. And better off making it now. I have seen/heard some mention that we ought to have made this trade in the offseason which is a bewildering statement to me. No way after a sub-par season and due to make more for the next two season would we be able to get more than we did in this trade. In addition, simply riding ourselves of his contract in a plus (granted, at 25% retained).

In a 7 game series he can really do damage.He was quite good last year for example, increasing his production in the offseason. He`s just that type of player. In playoffs games are tighter and the Big Rig was doing his job really good down low and along the boards.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I just want to mention that Maroon's contract that is considered enough of an albatross that it required retention hasn't even finished its first year.

He had signed the extension before his previous contract had begun that contract's last year.

Yes he really fell off this year, but it does go to show the dangers of multi-year extensions.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
He wasn't that good at doing it this season. Some people liked Maroon a lot and I think it's clouding their judgment at the moment. He's not a big loss, the players may miss a friend but they won't miss a contributor on the ice. That has been upgraded

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I just want to mention that Maroon's contract that is considered enough of an albatross that it required retention hasn't even finished its first year.

He had signed the extension before his previous contract had begun that contract's last year.

Yes he really fell off this year, but it does go to show the dangers of multi-year extensions.

Yeah, and thinking back most of us were pretty happy with that contract at the time. It's kind of crazy that he only has one even strength goal since signing the deal.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It was pretty obvious that Maroon was running out of opportunities for us, I don't know what kind of rotation you would've seen him being in with the additions of McGinn, Pirri and Garbutt and Stewart and Horcoff returning.

He has been pretty bad this season and we have a lot of depth that can replace him. The point is that based on some of the reactions it would appear that he's a key piece in our cup run.

If Pirri doesn't work in a top 6 role, he won't be in the lineup. The way I see saw it:

Perron-Getzlaf-Stewart/Pirri
Cogs-Kesler-Silfverberg
McGinn-Rakell-Perry
Maroon/Horcoff-Thompson-Garbutt/Santo

No. The reactions are due to being upset of Murray's piss poor asset management in this deal, and the timing of it. No reason this trade needs to happen now. No reason not to try and get him through waivers first.

Oct 18, 2011
getting rid of someone underperforming is not bad asset management
trading palmieri for very little is bad asset management,
replacing beauch with bieksa and giving up a 2nd to do so is bad asset management

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think your over exaggerating the retaining a bit. It's 500,000 against the cap for two years. That's not going to break the bank or hurt us for the next two years. Retaining sucks, and trading a player we all liked sucks, but I'm going trust Murray on this one because we aren't getting hurt from the trade all that much.

It's exaggeration now, but when we spend a million less on less quality player, it's because we're a budget team. Rinse and repeat. Never mind that so many said a reason to pay a 2nd for Bieksa and let Beauch walk was to save money... almost the same amount that we're retaining on Maroon.

getting rid of someone underperforming is not bad asset management
trading palmieri for very little is bad asset management,
replacing beauch with bieksa and giving up a 2nd to do so is bad asset management

Getting negative value back for an asset (yes I could consider this trade negative value) that we didn't have to move now is bad asset management. At least attempt to give him away for free first if he just had to go.

The Palmieri comparison really isn't accurate either. Palmieri did underperform last year. I do call that bad asset management as well. I just don't see how you call that bad asset management, but this isn't. Similar scenario, different scale.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Maroon had 7 goals last playoffs, but there was also a lot of time he missed a wide open net and on this board there was groaning about what if Getzlaf and Perry had someone on their line that could actually shoot. I like Maroon, but his time was up, and his on ice impact isn't going to be that missed. Yeah, the locker room part sucks but these guys are professionals, they can handle it.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
It's exaggeration now, but when we spend a million less on less quality player, it's because we're a budget team. Rinse and repeat. Never mind that so many said a reason to pay a 2nd for Bieksa and let Beauch walk was to save money... almost the same amount that we're retaining on Maroon.

Getting negative value back for an asset (yes I could consider this trade negative value) that we didn't have to move now is bad asset management. At least attempt to give him away for free first if he just had to go.

The Palmieri comparison really isn't accurate either. Palmieri did underperform last year. I do call that bad asset management as well. I just don't see how you call that bad asset management, but this isn't. Similar scenario, different scale.

A top-100 pick is never negative value, especially with our drafting prowess.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
This trade could have been made in the off-season. My. Prediction is the Ducks will regret this horrible trade and it will come back to bite them.
The Ducks have nobody to fill the role Maroon brings especially with Stewart out

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Has anyone mentioned that this may also have been done for Maroon? That with his spot in the line-up potentially taken, that he would be spending a fair bit of time sitting, and maybe neither side wanted that?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Has anyone mentioned that this may also have been done for Maroon? That with his spot in the line-up potentially taken, that he would be spending a fair bit of time sitting, and maybe neither side wanted that?

A good point, that unfortunately we wouldn't really know from our end.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

GMBM's comments suggested as much. He mentioned the additions of Pirri and McGinn would have made an awkward glut of forwards if not for the Maroon trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad