Marner's Playoffs Struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Sounds like you can't name one player. Your whole premise is flawed and strawed. " a team would give you basically any player for two firsts in one year" name a player hypothetically that would help fill Marners void or previous trade as evidence that help prove your theory correct?
LOL.

Here, I will strawman you like you did to me.

Tell me which teams right now would give the Leafs 4 first round picks for him along with no cap coming back?

I'll wait. I've got all night. And popcorn.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
LOL.

Tell me which teams right now would give the Leafs 4 first round picks for him along with no cap coming back?

There was never an offersheet.. Dubas got played. We can only hope it was a hard lesson learned.

I can almost guarantee Mitch wasn't going to take a 3 year bridge deal unless it was 9.5m by 3 just under what any true offer sheet would've been. Forcing them to match it.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Lets go back and read together.. you said it was a high(incorrect) contract, i said it was market value at the time (truth) then i said anyone who think marner was overpaid is nuts.. you're the perfect example :nod:

So why are you mad at Mitchy for Dubas's mistake at signing the high contract.. Only a fool wouldn't sign the contact offered.​

It was market value at the time.. Marner was coming off a Top 10 of all time Leafs seasons is all..​

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
There was never an offersheet.. Dubas got played. We can only hope it was a hard lesson learned.

I can almost guarantee Mitch wasn't going to take a 3 year bridge deal unless it was 9.5m by 3 just under what any true offer sheet would've been. Forcing them to match it.

If you say so.. why cant Leafs fans ever appreciate what they have.. only to pick it apart to bones..

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
LOL.

What?.. lmfao
You're the one that proposed the idea that anyteam would trade any player for 2 1sts in the same season.. i asked you to give an example of what you meant more specifically.. you didn't have an answer or history to back up yourself on your amazing magical easy fix to the Leafs..

But I'll play along.. the answer is the Montreal Canadiens.. cheers, have a good night.. don't forget your medication before bed..

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
Sorry gramps, I didn't realize I was yelling.
There was no misinformation, regardless of what you ascertain. 11>10.8.. regardless of term.. you do realize Marner's platform season is a top 10 Leafs scoring season of all time.. Marner is the straw that stirs the drink. People like you will flip back on Marner when he gets 100+ points next year.

Take a a close look and comprehend..

well, you are either the biggest marner fanboy with pyjamas, bedsheets and all ..... OR you are paul marner ....
insults? really? that childish?
I am done with you... go on your silly childish fanboy rants with someone else
saying term is irrelevant LOL... hugely important ...
by the way, i was always on the fence with mitch until he soured me with that contract ... he can win the conn smythe and i will still not be a big fan

Reactions: Walshy7 and kb

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
well, you are either the biggest marner fanboy with pyjamas, bedsheets and all ..... OR you are paul marner ....
by the way, i was always on the fence with mitch until he soured me with that contract ... he can win the conn smythe and i will still not be a big fan

Thank god..

Conn smythe not good enough because "he soured you on negotiations" anyways, that says it all..

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018

Never said term was irrelevant.. but that it wss irrelevant to disprove my original statement... anyways.. you beleaf what you want.. cheers..

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
If you say so.. why cant Leafs fans ever appreciate what they have.. only to pick it apart to bones..
Being a good negotiator shouldn't be held against Marner. Why are you so defensive about a bad contract. 3 yrs then 8yrs wouldve maximized the asset. THIS asset. A weak kid vs a 24 yr old mature kid. Its a no brainer dude. Ive watched the guys twitch streams and cant even handle his personality but i love the player

So a player wins i the business side for once... oh know.. hate and anger everywhere lol

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Being a good negotiator shouldn't be held against Marner. Why are you so defensive about a bad contract. 3 yrs then 8yrs wouldve maximized the asset. THIS asset. A weak kid vs a 24 yr old mature kid. Its a no brainer dude. Ive watched the guys twitch streams and cant even handle his personality but i love the player

So a player wins i the business side for once... oh know.. hate and anger everywhere lol

Not defensive because i disagree lol
Believe it or not, your word is not gospel..
I thought and told all my friends that Dubas should try sign Marner long term a year before RFA.. would have been way less than 10.8 per.. after your hypothetical bridge deal idea, what number does Marner want long term?

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Not defensive because i disagree lol
Believe it or not, your word is not gospel..
I thought and told all my friends that Dubas should try sign Marner long term a year before RFA.. would have been way less than 10.8 per.. after your hypothetical bridge deal idea, what number does Marner want long term?
Neither is yours.. so what's your point?

Should try... maybe he did try..... maybe Marner was told by Marleau to get your money while your healthy kid.. who the hell knows.

All i do know. Is i want marner a whole hell of alot longer than 6 years. So yes 3 and 8 at 11 years locked in would've rocked my socks

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner is the guy that should go. Right now all he has shown is that he is one dimensional with a weak shot. He also wasn't effective this season. The points were hiding his bad play.

Matthews is the better player and it's not even close. He is the engine of this team and really is the one who will take this team far.
Marner was never ahead of him.

Reactions: freshwind and kb

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
You know what's really funny buddy.. you're the same type of guy who would later complain about about the Leafs having all European and American players instead of Canadian ones and give uniformed opinions on that..
Sorry man. Marner is a good player but he makes way too much money. It’s to the point where he is going to start to feel awkward about it around nhl stars.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What?.. lmfao
You're the one that proposed the idea that anyteam would trade any player for 2 1sts in the same season.. i asked you to give an example of what you meant more specifically.. you didn't have an answer or history to back up yourself on your amazing magical easy fix to the Leafs..

But I'll play along.. the answer is the Montreal Canadiens.. cheers, have a good night.. don't forget your medication before bed..
So Montreal would trade for him right now and not send back any cap? Bring it on! Leafs will be a force for a decade or more.

I said that you could get an adequate replacement for one season by trading 2 first rounders and still keep the other 3 years of 2 first round picks and the cap space.

If you can't see that.....optometrist time.

Last edited:

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

I think people are upset with how selfish he comes across.
He forced the leafs to overpay (although Dubas should have just traded him or let him sit).
Now we have to live with the overpaid player. It hurts our ability to fill out the roster.
Put it this way.... marners contract (about 2.5 million too much) might cost us Pietrangelo this offseason.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
It was market value at the time.. Marner was coming off a Top 10 of all time Leafs seasons is all.. why anyone think Marner got overpaid is nuts to me..
Look at Draisatl's stats his past two years, look at what he's making and for how long, then wonder again why many of us feel he's overpaid by $2.5m

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The favor was staying.. that's the whole point.. the team is trying to win a cup.. not collecting mid first round pics.. for 4 straight years.. hoping one turns out as good as the one you traded away.. make ZERO sense what you're suggesting :laugh:

If the Leafs ever win a cup and Marner is key contributor... you're not welcome at the parade.. thanks
You ever heard of using draft picks as currency for a trade instead of drafting and waiting a few years for the pick to develop?

Reactions: Superstar and kb

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I think people are upset with how selfish he comes across.
He forced the leafs to overpay (although Dubas should have just traded him or let him sit).
Now we have to live with the overpaid player. It hurts our ability to fill out the roster.
Put it this way.... marners contract (about 2.5 million too much) might cost us Pietrangelo this offseason.

I already hate Mitch’s contract but that just hurts..ouch

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I honestly don’t believe Mitch will still be in Toronto to see his contract through.

Any GM change in Toronto in the next 2-3 years and his play va contract will be the first thing under the microscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad