Marner's Playoffs Struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If you offer 2 firsts in one season, you can get almost anyone you want.
That's not really true. 1sts can vary significantly in value depending on where in the 1st they are. You're highly unlikely to get anybody close to Marner's impact for just draft picks, unless we're talking multiple top 5-10 picks.
All i do know. Is i want marner a whole hell of alot longer than 6 years. So yes 3 and 8 at 11 years locked in would've rocked my socks
14 years is even better than 11.
Right now all he has shown is that he is one dimensional with a weak shot. He also wasn't effective this season.
Even in a down year, through injury, Marner brought significant impact. You don't need an elite shot to be a high-end player, and it doesn't make him one dimensional.
Matthews is the better player and it's not even close.
Of course Matthews is better. That doesn't make Marner any less important.
I think people are upset with how selfish he comes across. He forced the leafs to overpay.
It's interesting that fans call Marner selfish when they are the ones demanding that he undervalue himself and willingly give up millions in earned real life earnings, solely in order to help the form of entertainment that they enjoy. The truth is that Marner took a contract within his comparables. The only thing that makes people think otherwise is a refusal to accept proper contract valuation.
marners contract (about 2.5 million too much)
There is literally nothing that supports Marner only being worth 8.4m x 6 years.
Look at Draisatl's stats his past two years, look at what he's making and for how long, then wonder again why many of us feel he's overpaid by $2.5m
This completely ignores what Draisaitl actually was when he signed his contract years ago, not to mention the fact that he signed under a lower cap. If Draisaitl signed now (or even when Marner signed), he definitely wouldn't be making 8.5m.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
You ever heard of using draft picks as currency for a trade instead of drafting and waiting a few years for the pick to develop?

Lolololol
Ever heard of trying to win a stanley cup?
What good is 4 mid-late first do you now?
Already went through this.. read previous posts, thanks

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Sorry man. Marner is a good player but he makes way too much money. It’s to the point where he is going to start to feel awkward about it around nhl stars.

Complete fallacy

Remember when Nylander made too much money two seasons ago? lololol people's memories must be like gold fish..

Market value contract for a top 10 Leafs season of all time.. do you watch Leafs hockey? Lololol

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Marner NEEDS to develop a shot. Yesterday. He will never have a cannon for an arm, but his shooting ability is dreadful. And our opponnents know it, so they just take the passing lanes away and Marner´s game is all of a sudden almost null and void. As it stands, defending Marner is, for a competent team, almost too easy.
Adding that to the fact that Mitch does not like to be bumped in high traffic areas, due to his small frame AND lack of the propper mindset... No matter how great of a passer and talented player he is, he´s a one trick pony.
He´s still young and will improve his toolset over the years, but as of now, he´s overpayed for what he really provides on the ice.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That's not really true. 1sts can vary significantly in value depending on where in the 1st they are. You're highly unlikely to get anybody close to Marner's impact for just draft picks, unless we're talking multiple top 5-10 picks.
Oh, I completely agree with this. But I wasn't trying to fill the full impact of Marner with another Marner. I was just saying that by offering multiple 1sts from even one of those 4 years, you can get a good RW (as wingers are typically the easiest of all positions to acquire) and have the cap space to fill out the roster in a less top heavy manner. Plus that leaves multiple years of multiple first round picks to either use at the draft, or as currency to fill other needs during the year should they arise. Heck, the Leafs could have even ridden out the Marleau fiasco quite comfortably.

It's not a condemnation of the player (who I like and wholeheartedly agree has impact), but more about the flexibility it would have provided to sustain and possibly extend the window by having so many early draft picks for multiple years. You aren't getting another Marner (unless you luck into a Seth Jarvis type), but you are creating waves of talent coming up on cheaper ELC's.

It's just a different way of looking at the overall picture. Because as of today we see a top 2/3 RD in the league in UFA who would only cost money, and if the Leafs want to fit him in....they will have to do a lot of maneuvering to fill out the roster depth because of that cap situation. It's still doable, but....Dubas will have a busy summer trying to get the proper depth behind the big 4 up front.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Complete fallacy

Remember when Nylander made too much money two seasons ago? lololol people's memories must be like gold fish..

Based on this year, Marner is overpaid. When Dubas signed him, he was at a peak price that he may never regain. He should have been bridged. The risk of "having to pay extra" when his bridge comes due is stupid low.

Dubas was hell bent on a longer term deal. He overvalued Marner.

I've enjoyed Marner's game before he disengaged alot this year (his own words).

I think the Leafs should be called: The "We need to do better" Disengagers.

I feel it was unfair of Dubas to expect Marner to live up to this contract. The fair thing was a bridge. If Tavares isn't their to put the puck in the net, Marner isn't able to do it himself.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

HC7

May 2, 2018
Complete fallacy

Market value contract for a top 10 Leafs season of all time.. do you watch Leafs hockey? Lololol

You're a dumbass. Look what his comparables make before talking out of your ass.

These are all 2nd contracts.

Marner - 13.4% - 6
Point - 8.2% - 3
Rantanen - 11.3% - 6
Kane - 11% - 5
Kuch - 6.53% - 3

As you can see Mitch is in his own league in terms of contracts and is the worst out of all of them.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
You're a dumbass. Look what his comparables make before talking out of your ass.

Marner - 13.4% - 6
Point - 8.2% - 3
Rantanen - 11.3% - 6
Kane - 11% - 5
Kuch - 6.53% - 3

As you can see Mitch is in his own league in terms of contracts and is the worst out of all of them.
He's also better at a younger age than all those.. The issue isn't the value of the contract man it should've either been 8 years or 3 years lower until the kid put on some dang strength

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018

Marner - 13.4% - 6
Point - 8.2% - 3
Rantanen - 11.3% - 6
Kane - 11% - 5
Kuch - 6.53% - 3

I dare you to come call me a dumbass to my face..
KUCHEROV was by far Marners closets comparable and he took a bridge following enrty level deal..

not repeating myself over and over to keyboard warriors like yourself..

There's way to many variables to discuss over a message or two. Did you predict a pandemic? Does Tampa have no state tax + Kuch signed a bridge? What were the economics like in the years Kane Rantanen etc deals signed? What were each players platform seasons like? Etc. Etc..

You clearly no nothing at all.. come check me sometime if you want..

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
He showed emotion & that hes about the logo and not his name.

Guy was blocking shots, trying to help anyway he could...saved quite a few goals go watch the series again damnn...

Whats with most these ppl on here roasting players that showed emotion and gave 100% and went beyond their comfort levels....Kadri, Marner and now Rielly.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Look what his comparables make before talking out of your ass.

Marner - 13.4% - 6
Point - 8.2% - 3
Rantanen - 11.3% - 6
Kane - 11% - 5
Kuch - 6.53% - 3
Marner was better than all of these players when he signed his post-ELC contract.

Reactions: kb

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Marner - 13.4% - 6
Point - 8.2% - 3
Rantanen - 11.3% - 6
Kane - 11% - 5
Kuch - 6.53% - 3

Just an FYI. Anybody who criticizes Marner must not watch hockey.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner was better than all of these players when he signed his post-ELC contract.

Unfortunately Dubas paid him handsomely to continue to be better than those players. Hopefully he will be the next 5 years of the contract and all critics will forget his contract negotiations and his contract. With a flat cap, he needs to outperform his contract or he will be moved IMO.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Unfortunately Dubas paid him handsomely to continue to be better than those players.
No, he paid him to continue being an integral part of our team, and even in a down year, he has. What other players evolve into really has nothing to do with Marner, and there's no reason to believe that Marner won't evolve into an even more amazing player as he enters his prime like everybody else. Some other players might have had more room to potentially grow when they signed, but that's the trade-off for getting more impact out of our players over their ELCs.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No, he paid him to continue being an integral part of our team, and even in a down year, he has. What other players evolve into really has nothing to do with Marner, and there's no reason to believe that Marner won't evolve into an even more amazing player as he enters his prime like everybody else. Some other players might have had more room to grow when they signed, but that's the trade-off for getting more impact out of your players over their ELCs.

You do not pay players that much money to be an "integral part of the team".

The 3 amigos, Eichel, Draisaitl, and McDavid were all paid based on potential and to win.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The 3 amigos, Eichel, Draisaitl, and McDavid were all paid based on potential and to win.
They were paid based on what they had shown pre-signing, just like Marner and Matthews, in an effort to keep those players, because keeping those kinds of players are how you give yourself the best chance to win. Those types of players bring more value and impact to the team than their cap hits. The only one really paid on potential was Eichel. Matthews and Marner had already reached a higher level; people just didn't properly appreciate it because it didn't come with a fancy raw point total inflated by PP time.

Reactions: RebuildYear5

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
They were paid based on what they had shown pre-signing, just like Marner and Matthews, in an effort to keep those players, because keeping those kinds of players are how you give yourself the best chance to win. Those types of players bring more value and impact to the team than their cap hits. The only one really paid on potential was Eichel. Matthews and Marner had already reached a higher level; people just didn't properly appreciate it because it didn't come with a fancy raw point total inflated by PP time.

Marner & Matthew's have already broke records with the Leafs 100year history some people often forget lol

ToneDog name some current players who came in rookie year and did that on there respectable teams?

I'll be waiting, lol

Reactions: stopclickbait

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner & Matthew's have already broke records with the Leafs 100year history some people often forget lol

ToneDog name some current players who came in rookie year and did that on there respectable teams?

I'll be waiting, lol

1. You should use @ to get my attention
2. Why would I do that and what does it have to do with the 3 amigos and a number of players being paid for potential?
3. Keep waiting or come up with the list yourself for whatever point you are trying to make.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2020-9-28_17-35-57.png

Didnt show up when it counted.

Reactions: SlpLessInMuskoka18

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's literally on pace for what he normally produces only did it injured with a high ankle sprain.

Enjoy hating the team for 16 more years bud... mitchy is a lifer

A fourth year player probably shouldn’t be on pace to produce what they “normally produce.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad