Marner's Playoffs Struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Remember when he was drawing comparisons to Gilmour? Gonna have to really step up his playoff performances to reach that height.

That was the last playoff game he had any kind of impact.

Agreed and while I really do admire his courage to block those shots... I mean that's really not what you pay your stars the big bucks for.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
It's unfortunate, but Marner is more of a Gaudreau than a Kane. Still a great regular season player, but not someone I want to be one of my team's best players when the games matter, and not someone I want making over 10.5 million a year

He thought he deserved Draisaitl money.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Typical leaf fans. You guys always hype the players up to the moon making them think they are the best thing single sliced bread and then want to be compensated accordingly. Then when reality kicks in you all hate on a player and set too much pressure on him.

Especially everyone who compared Matthews to McDavid because of "even strength goals/60," God you guys are exactly what's wrong with this fanbase. The rest of the league has a consensus number 1 and then you have leaf fans comparing their superstar with McDavid. How can you expect a player to develop normally under these ludicrous circumstances? The only thing worse than this team's effort for years in a row is the fanbase

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Typical leaf fans. You guys always hype the players up to the moon making them think they are the best thing single sliced bread and then want to be compensated accordingly. Then when reality kicks in you all hate on a player and set too much pressure on him.

Especially everyone who compared Matthews to McDavid because of "even strength goals/60," God you guys are exactly what's wrong with this fanbase. The rest of the league has a consensus number 1 and then you have leaf fans comparing their superstar with McDavid. How can you expect a player to develop normally under these ludicrous circumstances? The only thing worse than this team's effort for years in a row is the fanbase
...so about Marner....

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Playoff points since 2015-16:
Marner 17
Rielly 15
Matthews 13
Nylander 11
Hyman 9
Bozak 8

Marner has more points, higher +/-, less time on ice, higher ppg, the most pp points and is tied for most EVP.

This thread is awful but not surprising considering who started it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marner 17
Rielly 15
Matthews 13
Nylander 11
Hyman 9
Bozak 8

Marner has more points, higher +/-, less time on ice, higher ppg, the most pp points and is tied for most EVP.

He and Matthews seemed to have switched roles. Need both of them going at the same time

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Matthews has not won a playoff series going back to before he even made the NHL. His swiss team was eliminated in the 1st round. Then he joins the leafs and has lost another 3 series in the 1st round.

At least marner has won championships and MVP's for being his teams best player.

If there is anyone with playoff struggles, its auston.

Reactions: rubous

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner 17
Rielly 15
Matthews 13
Nylander 11
Hyman 9
Bozak 8

Agree to some extend but Marner didn’t play well last night. Let’s all hope he can bounce back but that’s something we have been saying all season.
I hope he gets over whatever it is that he is trying to overcome bc he is a lot better than what he has been showing this past season.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Marner 17
Rielly 15
Matthews 13
Nylander 11
Hyman 9
Bozak 8

And, people so conveniently forget that the Bruins decided to put the Bergeron line on the Marner/Tavares line last year while Matthews had the luxury of not facing them very often. There’s a reason the Bruins made that decision.

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
And, people so conveniently forget that the Bruins decides to put the Bergeron on the Marner/Tavares line last year while Matthews has the luxury of not facing them very often. There’s a reason the Bruins made that decision.
exactly!

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
And, people so conveniently forget that the Bruins decides to put the Bergeron on the Marner/Tavares line last year while Matthews has the luxury of not facing them very often. There’s a reason the Bruins made that decision.

I should have added that to my post, well said.

Matthews is lauded for getting 2 more points then marner last year but they conveniently forget that marner was playing against Boston's top unit which is probably the best line in hockey.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The numbers on the whole are still quite good in spite of that recent slide. The Leafs as a team have also only scored five goals in total over that four game span. They have a 1-3 record. Marner's struggles play a part. However, the struggles also don't simply end there.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I should have added that to my post, well said.

Matthews is lauded for getting 2 more points then marner last year but they conveniently forget that marner was playing against Boston's top unit which is probably the best line in hockey.
He's lauded for scoring 5 goals in the series and driving the play with Hyman on 1 leg

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Also, where's the advanced stats crowd hiding out at?

Marner had an awesome game, according to the stats.

Why are they not defending marner after last nights game?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
And, people so conveniently forget that the Bruins decided to put the Bergeron line on the Marner/Tavares line last year while Matthews had the luxury of not facing them very often. There’s a reason the Bruins made that decision.
Because Matthews had Kapanen and Johnsson as wingers instead of Nylander/Marner, and still put up 5?

Babcock was just not very bright.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Matthews has not won a playoff series going back to before he even made the NHL. His swiss team was eliminated in the 1st round. Then he joins the leafs and has lost another 3 series in the 1st round.

At least marner has won championships and MVP's for being his teams best player.

If there is anyone with playoff struggles, its auston.

Can you tell what is wrong with this comparison? Hint: It is obvious.

Also, where's the advanced stats crowd hiding out at?

Marner had an awesome game, according to the stats.

Why are they not defending marner after last nights game?

According to the stats, he was dragged by Tavares and Mikheyev, who accounted for the vast majority of the chances that were generated on that line. That line would have been dangerous if Marner was at their level.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
He's lauded for scoring 5 goals in the series and driving the play with Hyman on 1 leg

I wonder how many goals auston wouldve had if the bruins played the Bergeron line against Matthews.

Isnt it interesting that the Bruins played their top line against marner and JT, instead of AM? It's almost like they knew which line was our most dangerous

Reactions: diceman934

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I wonder how many goals auston wouldve had if the bruins played the Bergeron line against Matthews.

Isnt it interesting that the Bruins played their top line against marner and JT, instead of AM? It's almost like they knew which line was our most dangerous
I expect that to be our most dangerous when Nylander was off like last year. Doesn't change the fact that Marner didn't have a good series

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->