Marner's next contract

Marner's next contract

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Try CapFriendly.

Thanks, I was using a different site.

So next year they have a little over 23 million, that's really tight with Matthews and Marner up as they could eat up to 20 million or heck all of that.

Then you have to get some Dmen (to replace Gardiner and Hainsey) and resign Kappanen and Johnsson as well.

If I was the Yotes I would go after Matthews hard.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Probably over 12.5M. All Marner needs to do is point out Nylander at 7M and say he expects double, then sit half the season and Dumbas will cave. The Nylander contract is going to kill the Leafs. It's worse than the contract Chia gave Lucic.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His contract is really a wild card. The only winger paid over 10 is Kane, Kucherov signed for 9.5 for way fewer UFA years, and after that its Benn and Ovi at around 9.5. Matthews negotiation seems a bit simpler. Rantanen, Marner, and Laine, I think will be difficult for a variety of reasons, and the parties involved may be waiting each other out to set the market. These deals could completely re-shape the winger market in the NHL (along with Panarin, and possibly Hall's extension), or it will stay in line with the current norms.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don’t see how he gets more than Kucherov who tookna bridge first and bad way more UFA years bought out

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Probably over 12.5M. All Marner needs to do is point out Nylander at 7M and say he expects double, then sit half the season and Dumbas will cave. The Nylander contract is going to kill the Leafs. It's worse than the contract Chia gave Lucic.
LOL, so he gets 3 million minimum over Kucherov? You do know the Leafs will point to other wingers, right?
Will Rantanen get a max deal then?
And worse than Lucic? HAHAHA. Nylander is 22. He had 61 points each of his 1st 2 seasons.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t understand people saying “haha leafs, now you have to pay him a boatload”.

Does this mean that you’d prefer your teams next top 5 draft pick to be good, but not so good that they’d command one of the higher salaries in the leagues? Does this mean you don’t want your eam to draft superstars?

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He shouldn't make more than Kucherov, 9.5 would be generous, but the real problem is Matthews will get 11 or more and may not even be better than Marner plus could be more injury prone going forward, so it's a tough call.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Depends what Point and Rantanen get, but considering Kucherov got 8 years X 9.5M with 7 UFA years, I'm guessing Point get's less than 9.5.

If Point scores more than Marner and gets less than 9.5, so does Marner.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I don’t understand people saying “haha leafs, now you have to pay him a boatload”.

Does this mean that you’d prefer your teams next top 5 draft pick to be good, but not so good that they’d command one of the higher salaries in the leagues? Does this mean you don’t want your eam to draft superstars?
He's a high end winger but I don't think he's franchise level.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
He's one of the players that idc what the salary is, I just want him to be a Leaf, forever. He's become my favorite player. Obviously if he gets like 12 or more it would suck but if they have to sign him for 10-11, so be it.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It does matter if a RFA can get that type of offer on an offer sheet (Matthews and Marner can). If you really think Marner or Matthews is signing for $9.5 or less, you're going to be very disappointed.

Said it before, if they care more about the money than winning in Toronto then let them sign it and they can f*** off. We want a cup, that is bigger than any individual. Lou wouldn't have blinked, he would have just shook their hand and wished them good luck in the future and taken the draft picks.

I don't see Marner doing it, he's a local kid who grew up a fan and wants to win here. Matthews I don't really either to be honest, they just don't happen. However I CAN see a holdout coming because at this point the "Toronto tax" the Leafs have to pay on all of their guys who get more than their comparable has to stop.

No way Matthews or Marner should get more than JT if we are honest. JT was a UFA and has been better than Matthews overall this year and Marner is a RFA winger who will have hit PPG once on his ELC. Both should be under 11 and 10 respectively.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Said it before, if they care more about the money than winning in Toronto then let them sign it and they can **** off. We want a cup, that is bigger than any individual. Lou wouldn't have blinked, he would have just shook their hand and wished them good luck in the future and taken the draft picks.

I don't see Marner doing it, he's a local kid who grew up a fan and wants to win here. Matthews I don't really either to be honest, they just don't happen. However I CAN see a holdout coming because at this point the "Toronto tax" the Leafs have to pay on all of their guys who get more than their comparable has to stop.

No way Matthews or Marner should get more than JT if we are honest. JT was a UFA and has been better than Matthews overall this year and Marner is a RFA winger who will have hit PPG once on his ELC. Both should be under 11 and 10 respectively.

I get your point, but in all fairness it's much easier to turn down millions of dollars when it's figurative and not millions of dollars you'd be getting.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I get your point, but in all fairness it's much easier to turn down millions of dollars when it's figurative and not millions of dollars you'd be getting.

Has nothing to do with turning down money and more to do with getting paid the market rate. Leaf players have fans and media blowing smoke up their ass 24/7 and they get a sense of inflated worth. It's up to Dubas to bring the raw numbers and facts to the discussion and show them what their real comparable are and not give in.

Fans will be pissed if they lose out on Matthews or Marner over a few million, they'd be even more pissed if the team can't ever get out of the first round because they have 5 legit NHLers and the rest of the roster is ELC / tweener depth because that's all they can afford.

This is assuming there is any truth to the media reports. Matthews' agent has said money isn't the main factor he wants to win and be recognized as one of the best in the game and he can do both with the Leafs while getting paid well. Marner might be more of a challenge with his dad being an influence and him having a difficult agent to deal with.

But we'll see. Main board isn't the place to discuss this where everyone hopes the Leafs get f***ed over and pay the highest possible price.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
11.5M for Marner

13M for Matthews
Too high for both.

I see in this thread we mysteriously don't see the "Matthews Hasn't Even Hit 70 Points Yet" posts we see in threads on the main board. Humm...

When his talent is talked about Matthews hasn't hit 70 and is NHL's most overrated player. Contract time? Biggest contract in NHL history!

The guy that hasn't hit 70 needs to be the highest paid in history? Me thinks many of you are biased and just hate the Leafs.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Too high for both.

I see in this thread we mysteriously don't see the "Matthews Hasn't Even Hit 70 Points Yet" posts we see in threads on the main board. Humm...

When his talent is talked about Matthews hasn't hit 70 and is NHL's most overrated player. Contract time? Biggest contract in NHL history!

The guy that hasn't hit 70 needs to be the highest paid in history? Me thinks many of you are biased and just hate the Leafs.
Matthews can get whatever he wants regardless of his points total.

Marner will follow suit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad