Marner's next contract

Marner's next contract

• Total voters

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
OK, so first off you are taxed where your legal domicile is, not necessarily your current residence. For legal purposes, those are 2 separate entities. See below article for whats require to establish a Florida "domicile" and note that none of it is anything that playing on an NHL team in another state or even country would bar you from

FLORIDA DOMICILE CHECKLIST

Then there's the fact that all away games are taxed at the rate for that city/state they play those games in, plus multiple other factors (see article below)

Income Taxes For Pro Athletes Are Reminder Of How Complicated U.S. Tax Code Is

Also you misunderstood what I was saying re: exchange rates. McDavid is currently in Edmonton where the local currency is CAD. He is paid in USD. The implication there is his salary in Edmonton (local currency) is valued at 12.6 CAD

Maybe Tavares commutes to work from Florida every day...

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He's scoring more than their guy who just signed for $11million...he's going to get more than $9.5million, and Matthews will get even more than Marner. Leafs will be in cap hell (should have moved Nylander)...with that said it is a nice problem to have.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He's scoring more than their guy who just signed for $11million...he's going to get more than $9.5million, and Matthews will get even more than Marner. Leafs will be in cap hell (should have moved Nylander)...with that said it is a nice problem to have.
Does not matter. That player was UFA and was actually offered 13 million by other teams.

Reactions: Mats13

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Does not matter. That player was UFA and was actually offered 13 million by other teams.

It does matter if a RFA can get that type of offer on an offer sheet (Matthews and Marner can). If you really think Marner or Matthews is signing for $9.5 or less, you're going to be very disappointed.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I went with under as they need to sign a back up goalie and have only 3 NHL defenseman signed.

At forward, besides Marner then need to sign Matthews (who will command more than Marner), Kapanen and Johnsson.

Makes for some tough math and decisions for the Leafs to make.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think Nylander has peaked tbh. A lot of forwards nowadays reach their peak pretty damn quickly. I just can't ever see Nylander carrying a line, he is always going to be just a complimentary winger. I guess Matthews could carry him to like 70 points maybe.
TIL players peak at 21-22. Someone tell Skinner and Mackinnon to slow down before they explode.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
He's getting 8.5-9.25, because in addition to that's about what he's worth, he's a local lifelong fan of the team, and because the Leafs are gonna front load the hell out of his deal so he can instantly buy a mansion and a Bugatti.

Matthews will get 11.5-12.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I think he ultimately gets 9.5m minimum.

There was a lot of talk that Marner & his agent are waiting for Matthews to sign before they sign... I think there’s a reason for that. They clearly think he’s of the same caliber of player and they don’t want to get ripped off. I tend to agree.

To me there’s no way Matthews takes a penny less than Tavares...

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I went with under as they need to sign a back up goalie and have only 3 NHL defenseman signed.

At forward, besides Marner then need to sign Matthews (who will command more than Marner), Kapanen and Johnsson.

Makes for some tough math and decisions for the Leafs to make.

Gardiner can be replaced with Sandin/Liljegren moving up to bottom pairing next year and Dermott taking the 2nd pairing role. They only need to replace Hainsey for next year and tbh that's not really hard. There's probably staff members of the Leafs that can make a pass better than Hainsey can. Kapanen/Johnsson aren't really going to get huge raises, they're having good years but nothing like what Marner, Matthews and Nylander were doing. Worst case scenario, they have to trade a draft pick along with a contract like Marleau to shed space or trade Nylander. The Leafs won't lose their top 2 players to ensure their 6th/7th best players are still on the team.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

There was a lot of talk that Marner & his agent are waiting for Matthews to sign before they sign... I think there’s a reason for that. They clearly think he’s of the same caliber of player and they don’t want to get ripped off. I tend to agree.

Matthews gets $11 AAV, Marner get's $9-$9.5 million. Marner isn't breaking what Kucherov got, and he put up numbers for a long time as opposed to this being Marner's first full superstar year.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Matthews gets $11 AAV, Marner get's $9-$9.5 million. Marner isn't breaking what Kucherov got, and he put up numbers for a long time as opposed to this being Marner's first full superstar year.

What Kucherov gets is somewhat irrelevant. The agent is going to point to the fact that the last two seasons Marner has been the Leafs leading scorer relative to Tavares and Matthews.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
What Kucherov gets is somewhat irrelevant. The agent is going to point to the fact that the last two seasons Marner has been the Leafs leading scorer relative to Tavares and Matthews.
Marner was the leading scorer last year because Matthews only played 62 games...Matthews would've scored 14 more points than him if they had played the same amount of games. Not to mention the impact a center has on the game as opposed to a winger.

Marner gets to play with Tavares which benefits them both and is on pace for 100+ points this year
Matthews plays with Kapanen (HF thought was a throw-in before the season started), Johnsson (ditto), and Nylander who hasn't gotten back to form yet although last night was encouraging. He's also on pace for 100+ points this year.

Not hard to see who the better talent is. Marner is great, he'll be in that Kane, Gaudreau, Kucherov, Rantanen tier of wingers if he isn't already. What Matthews has been able to do though without consistent line-mates is remarkable....The guy is on pace for 55 goals and 109 points this year at age 21 and people think he's been off...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gardiner can be replaced with Sandin/Liljegren moving up to bottom pairing next year and Dermott taking the 2nd pairing role.

I'm not sure if either Sandin/Liljegren are ready for prime time yet although Dermott can probably be a 4th dman right now.

They only need to replace Hainsey for next year and tbh that's not really hard. There's probably staff members of the Leafs that can make a pass better than Hainsey can.

Hainsey is a huge anchor on the back end and their top PK guy, they would be best to resign him for the 3 million he is making.

Kapanen/Johnsson aren't really going to get huge raises, they're having good years but nothing like what Marner, Matthews and Nylander were doing.

They are both top 6 wingers for the Leafs and will want decent money, they aren't going to sign for under 3 million a year.

Marner/Matthews are going to get 20 million plus combined which puts the Leafs in a real bind.

Worst case scenario, they have to trade a draft pick along with a contract like Marleau to shed space or trade Nylander.

Marleau was a bad signing and they would probably have to move a decent pick to dump his contract.

Nylanders value has dipped as he has struggled after holding out and teams will know the Leafs are in a bind and they won't offer full value.

The Leafs won't lose their top 2 players to ensure their 6th/7th best players are still on the team.

No I agree that they won't want to do that but having 4 guys making over 40 million combined isn't a recipe for success in the current NHL.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

If Marner wants Matthews money then the Leafs are going to need to make a hard decision on him, they already have a huge setback with Nylander.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I'm not sure if either Sandin/Liljegren are ready for prime time yet although Dermott can probably be a 4th dman right now.

Hainsey is a huge anchor on the back end and their top PK guy, they would be best to resign him for the 3 million he is making.

They are both top 6 wingers for the Leafs and will want decent money, they aren't going to sign for under 3 million a year.

Marner/Matthews are going to get 20 million plus combined which puts the Leafs in a real bind.

Marleau was a bad signing and they would probably have to move a decent pick to dump his contract.

Nylanders value has dipped as he has struggled after holding out and teams will know the Leafs are in a bind and they won't offer full value.

No I agree that they won't want to do that but having 4 guys making over 40 million combined isn't a recipe for success in the current NHL.
Marner is probably getting 9-9.5 at most. HF can't have it both ways. Either he's better than guys like Rantanen, Point, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Eichel which isn't the case on this site or he's on the same level as those guys and fits in accordingly. Where's Rantanen's $13 million per year contract speculation? Points?

Hainsey is trash, Polak was great on the pk last year too, easily replaceable. All it'll mean is that Rielly and Dermott see more pk minutes which they are more than capable of handling.

I'd easily move a second or a 1st to get rid of Marleau's last year if it means we can keep Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Kapanen, Rielly, Dermott, Nylander, Andersen long term

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Stamkos, too.

Or we could just stop pretending that Tavares' decision had more to do with money than playing for his home town.

Toronto is also Marner's hometown :laugh:

I'll leave you to dreaming up ways the Leafs have to pay their stars more than every other team. That seems to be the new thing on this board.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Toronto is also Marner's hometown :laugh:

I'll leave you to dreaming up ways the Leafs have to pay their stars more than every other team. That seems to be the new thing on this board.

Marner is also RFA... So it's not like he had the option of going elsewhere. This is a money contract. He's gonna get paid. Sooner you figure that out, the better.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Marner is probably getting 9-9.5 at most. HF can't have it both ways. Either he's better than guys like Rantanen, Point, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Eichel which isn't the case on this site or he's on the same level as those guys and fits in accordingly. Where's Rantanen's $13 million per year contract speculation? Points?

Hainsey is trash, Polak was great on the pk last year too, easily replaceable. All it'll mean is that Rielly and Dermott see more pk minutes which they are more than capable of handling.

I'd easily move a second or a 1st to get rid of Marleau's last year if it means we can keep Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Kapanen, Rielly, Dermott, Nylander, Andersen long term

Has anyone done the math for next year, I miss the old site that did that very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad