Marner's letter to the fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Anyone wanna discuss this corny attempt to try and cover the fact that it required us paying him the highest amount at his position to sign here?

Between him and his agent Ferris trying to tell us that the "93" in his ridiculous contract is a tribute to Dougie Gilmour, it's leaving a crappy taste in my mouth.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Anyone wanna discuss this corny attempt to try and cover the fact that it required us paying him the highest amount at his position to sign here?

Between him and his agent Ferris trying to tell us that the "93" in his ridiculous contract is a tribute to Dougie Gilmour, it's leaving a crappy taste in my mouth.

/gag.

rings hollow.

There are givers and takers in this world.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Rantanens contract hurt his chances at being forgiven by some. Lead us to some cups and lead your position for points a few times maybe and then maybe they'll come around and forget about it, at least until Riellys contract comes up haha

That's how I feel about he and Matthews.

Anything short of some serious playoff success or a goal scoring title for Matthews and Marner being top 3 in points, and I will not forgive either. Every summer will be a restructure and dismantling of the team to keep these 4.

But as others have mentioned, it's over now. They got what they got. It's on Dubas for giving it to them but they do share blame for demanding outrageous contracts while other team's markets get to enjoy players signing team friendly contracts and openly stating they don't want the team around them to break up.

So...I guess it's time to move on while quietly demanding performance that comes with the pay they each got.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Yeah, I saw this commercial this morning and thought WTF?

He's trying too hard. Just perform to expectations and everything will take care of itself over time.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

Doesn’t Panarin make more?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
A guy on reddit summed it up best.
That honestly sucked from a PR perspective. It’s so tone deaf. It’s somehow both too soon and too late?

1. The timing of this sucks. Tavares was named captain 24 hours ago and now you want the attention back on you. This should have been released right after he signed if at all

2. He clearly didn’t write this himself, or at least by himself. There are a few key notes that you can tell an agent or PR person wanted in there.

3. He’s reading something he’s saying he’s passionate about, but there’s no passion in his voice.

4. It’s so corny. You could have delivered the same message in a press conference and it would have seemed so much more genuine. This is faux sincerity

Everything about this to me screams that he hated not being liked and his agent told him this would fix things. This comes off as desperate and begging to be liked, not a genuine appreciation of the city. I don’t doubt that he feels this way, it was just so poorly executed.​

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
That's how I feel about he and Matthews.

Anything short of some serious playoff success or a goal scoring title for Matthews and Marner being top 3 in points, and I will not forgive either. Every summer will be a restructure and dismantling of the team to keep these 4.

But as others have mentioned, it's over now. They got what they got. It's on Dubas for giving it to them but they do share blame for demanding outrageous contracts while other team's markets get to enjoy players signing team friendly contracts and openly stating they don't want the team around them to break up.

So...I guess it's time to move on while quietly demanding performance that comes with the pay they each got.
Matthews got what he is worth and what is comparable at least. Marner has nothing close to him to where his comparable is. Im completely fine with matthews and now nylanders contract. Marner however is by far the worst. This video makes me hate him even more.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
It's . . . sigh. It's ok I guess . . .
But if I was his PR manager, I'd fire the person who prepped him and shot the video. Honestly, it's so easy to read from cue card held up, not hard to do, and you get to interact with the camera (fans watching) and it comes off WAAAAAY better than looking down like a goofball at your written page, while sitting slumped over, basically hiding your face. It's so low class in terms of presentation that it boggles my mind. It's really basic stuff.

And the backwards cap? ugh.
Again, it's simple stuff . . . not hard to come off as genuine, sincere, and still be hip/fresh for your younger fans WITHOUT a backwards baseball cap (sorry, I have a thing with that). ugh. I changed my mind, it's not ok.

I've always been fine with Marner and his agent negotiating well for their position, and he's one of my favourite players for sure.
But this video is awful.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That honestly sucked from a PR perspective. It’s so tone deaf. It’s somehow both too soon and too late?

1. The timing of this sucks. Tavares was named captain 24 hours ago and now you want the attention back on you. This should have been released right after he signed if at all

2. He clearly didn’t write this himself, or at least by himself. There are a few key notes that you can tell an agent or PR person wanted in there.

3. He’s reading something he’s saying he’s passionate about, but there’s no passion in his voice.

4. It’s so corny. You could have delivered the same message in a press conference and it would have seemed so much more genuine. This is faux sincerity

Everything about this to me screams that he hated not being liked and his agent told him this would fix things. This comes off as desperate and begging to be liked, not a genuine appreciation of the city. I don’t doubt that he feels this way, it was just so poorly executed.​

It's tweeted by a company whose job it is specifically to improve athlete's brands. Like he's literally staging this as "improving his brand", and not a genuine message to fans.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
My frustration with Marner is less about him individually and more with how our RFAs pontificated about how much winning in this city meant to them and then turned around and bent us over the barrel in negotiations while taking zero concessions on their contracts, despite the ridiculously player-friendly signing bonuses we afforded them and the amount of sponsorship dollars and other quality of life benefits that playing in this specific market offers.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Gents you can cry about the money all day. To me I don't anymore. I used to when I was younger but now I know it will never change. Everyone in hockey knows the Leafs are a massive money box that never stops giving. and it is because of us the fans. The Leafs owners' president and coach are extremely over paid. Dubie you need to get your share too. You are doing all the dirty work and you need to bank too. I hope you do. And even after all the massive overpayments da bank account is still massive. Everyone needs to understand the issue is the CAP it is not the Leafs. Our Leafs could pay double or triple the current salaries and it is still a non issue.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Matthews got what he is worth and what is comparable at least. Marner has nothing close to him to where his comparable is. Im completely fine with matthews and now nylanders contract. Marner however is by far the worst. This video makes me hate him even more.

Matthews term is ridiculous for the amount asked.

Having never won a scoring title, and being injury prone. His pay is all about potential rather then for success achieved.

His contract would be the perfect amount if, like McDavid, he showed commitment to the team by signing to an 8 year 11.6 mil AAV.

Do not forgive that. There are players in other markets who have actually won scoring titles that didn't bend their club over a barrel to get the slightest of commitments.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

I agree with all of this. At least memorize it. This did nothing for me but dislike him more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad