Marner's letter to the fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
lmao people are mad at marner. We paid for an asset thats worth its value. I see nothing wrong in it. he's going to be giving us lots 90+ point finishes in his career. He's too talented. Hockey is business as well. Its an employee/owner relationship. Owner is trying to spend less, players trying to get paid fairly. (ALL Revenue is generated because of players, they deserve to get paid for their value)

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
he didnt hypnotize dubas, both parties agreed on a number. ugh i cant believe that one year after nylander signed i have to explain to people again that its not marner's responsibility to take less. he asked for a number, he got a number..if it was too much they could have said no. also to the bolded..people need to get over that crap, as you can see by this thread, theres negative elements about being a leaf too.

The Marner camp were ready to hold the Leafs hostage and hold out as long as they could if news didn't leaked that the Leafs offered them $11 million AAV for 7 years (that they rejected), which followed by the backlash from the fan base and media.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Marner camp were ready to hold the Leafs hostage and hold out as long as they could if news didn't leaked that the Leafs offered them $11 million AAV for 7 years (that they rejected), which followed by the backlash from the fan base and media.

That was never verified i believe. Definitely turned the signing in to high gear from the percieved greed.

Not sure it was verified hecause of the quick deal right agyer that. It was going to get even uglier had that deal not been signed so quick.

Marner has been almost 100 points and clipped along previous to last seasons 94 pts at a 100bpts or better pace the previous half season.

Way to much salary talk for a 2-0 start that has beennfairly dominating.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
he didnt hypnotize dubas, both parties agreed on a number. ugh i cant believe that one year after nylander signed i have to explain to people again that its not marner's responsibility to take less. he asked for a number, he got a number..if it was too much they could have said no. also to the bolded..people need to get over that crap, as you can see by this thread, theres negative elements about being a leaf too.

lmao people are mad at marner. We paid for an asset thats worth its value. I see nothing wrong in it. he's going to be giving us lots 90+ point finishes in his career. He's too talented. Hockey is business as well. Its an employee/owner relationship. Owner is trying to spend less, players trying to get paid fairly. (ALL Revenue is generated because of players, they deserve to get paid for their value)

These points of view make me scratch my head.

There is a hard salary cap in place that all teams have to stay under. The Leafs aren't "nickle and diming" it's superstars to fall below the cap and line MLSE's pockets with unused cap space.

The Leafs are trying to win a Stanley Cup, meaning that not only do we have to have a roster with our star players, but they also have to have someone to freaking play with. Marner, Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares are great, but that is 4 guys. They need another 19 guys on the ice with them, and each of our RFA's biting and clawing for every penny takes away from surrounding those guys with players who make us competitive.

Marner taking $1.5m less, Matthews taking $1 m less, Nylander taking $500 k less is $2 million that we can use to have a player like Johnsson or Kapanen. Otherwise, we are looking at these 4 guys surrounded by a bunch of ELC guys who aren't ready and don't make us Stanley Cup contenders.

So far as I can tell, Mitch Marner, William Nylander, and Austen Matthews taking a little bit less and actually being within the Market value doesn't put them at risk of life-long poverty. It just speaks to what their priority is, which is making what they can, and if its at the expense of their 2nd tier teammates, so be it.

I would love to see all our guys and hockey players as whole, get paid more than they do. I think hockey players, compared to basketball and baseball players especially, are criminally under-paid. I also hate the hard salary cap with every fibre of my being. The reality is, however, that there IS a hard salary cap and every penny given to one takes away from another. If guys like Marner want to piss their pants for every penny they can, but it is going to be a the expense of a Hyman, Kapanen or Johnsson type player, which we also need to get to our end goal: to win a Stanley Cup.

It's pretty simple really.

Reactions: Kurtz

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Marner better do something worth 10m everytime Hutchinson is playing. **** that contract.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Marner better do something worth 10m everytime Hutchinson is playing. **** that contract.
Nope, nothing worth $10.0M in OT or shootout!

Nothing worth $11.0M from Tavares either!

If not for Matthews, no points at all tonight!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Remember when we had Dion and Kessel. Those were the days.

Cant wait for next 5 seasons. Leafs sure can win 1-2 cups.
Let's see them sweep the Habs and Sens season series before saying they'll win any cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->