Marner vs Eichel

Marner or Eichel

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Too close to call. Eichel has the positional advantage and is an absolute beast when you look at the raw tools (there may be 5 or so guys who have Eichel's level of speed and strength). Marner may (and I stress may) be slightly better and more exciting, but Sabres absolutely didn't mess up that pick. Just turned out to be a draft where a lot of teams got amazing players.

Last edited:

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Marner has a fun factor to his game but Eichel is just your typical dominate center. Leafs fan but can't deny Eichel's positional advantage and size.

Reactions: Fataldogg

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Eichel for me but it's close. He plays the more important position and has less support. However I'm also going on the assumption Eichel would produce more if given the same support.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Eichel is a #1 centre, so theoretically he should have more value to a team. But Marner right now looks to be a better player than Eichel in nearly every facet.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Eichel. Playing with Tavares has been a big part of Marner's success [and I understand Tavares benefits from playing with him too]. Eichel plays with far worse talent and still scored 82 points in 77 games. I cant help but feel if Eichel played with upper echelon talent like Tavares that he too would not have been well over 90.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Even if you have Eichel ahead, they're very close.

Players drafted 2013 or later

McDavid
_____

Mackinnon
Barkov- totally proved me wrong this seasno
_____
Marner/Eichel/Matthews/Rants/Drai
Aho/Barzal/Tkachuk- a notch below but it's literally splitting hairs

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm a Leaf fan, I would take Eichel - position and the ceiling is still really high there. That said, I am not unhappy with what we get out of that draft at all

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Marner has a fun factor to his game but Eichel is just your typical dominate center. Leafs fan but can't deny Eichel's positional advantage and size.

Most Leaf fans have Marner ahead of Matthews currently, so it wouldnt be completely unfair to deny Eichel's positional and size advantage as well.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
Too close to call for me right now.

However, if you held a gun to my head I'd more than likely blurt out Marner. Kid is dynamite.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Most Leaf fans have Marner ahead of Matthews currently, so it wouldnt be completely unfair to deny Eichel's positional and size advantage as well.
Most Leaf fans have Marner ahead of Matthews?

Um no they don't...

And whats the difference between Leafs vs Bruins this year to last? Bergeron has his hands full with a match up against Tavares.

C is more important than wing.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Most Leaf fans have Marner ahead of Matthews?

Um no they don't...

And whats the difference between Leafs vs Bruins this year to last? Bergeron has his hands full with a match up against Tavares.

C is more important than wing.

You can just look at the Marner vs Matthews vs Tavares poll a few posts down. That's Marner handily over 2 centers.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
You can just look at the Marner vs Matthews vs Tavares poll a few posts down. That's Marner handily over 2 centers.
I look at things like Matthews quality of competition, his 5 on 5 production, his career metrics vs the league, his position whereas Marner gets sheltered minutes.

But Marner won a poll on HF? That has a pretty small sample of fans and pretty much meaningless IMO.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Tough choice, I guess Marner he seems to have more touches and slightly more impact on games. However wouldn't be mad to have Eichel either. Imagine trying to match up against
Tavares
Matthews
Eichel
Kadri
Best part is you can swap the top 3 in any order on a game to game basis

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I look at things like Matthews quality of competition, his 5 on 5 production, his career metrics vs the league, his position whereas Marner gets sheltered minutes.

But Marner won a poll on HF? That has a pretty small sample of fans and pretty much meaningless IMO.

It may be a small sample size, but I think it does illustrate how the fans feel currently, but I'm sure that will change when Matthews catches fire for an extended period of time.

How is Marner sheltered at this point though? His line draws the tougher matchups and he now kills penalties as well. I'd agree he was more sheltered in previous years.

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad