Marner vs Eichel

Marner or Eichel

• Total voters

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The obvious answer is Marner without a doubt. I know him and Eichel were in the same draft and Eichel came into the NHL 1 year earlier, however Marner has produced more points than Eichel in his first 3 seasons.

2017: 61 points.
2018: 69 points.
2019: 94 points.

In those same years Eichel had 57, 64 & 82 point seasons.

Serious question, do you guys all get together and have a discussion before hand to determine if you are going to use points or points per game to make your player look better? Because for some reason when we use points for Eichel and Matthews everyone cries foul and if we use PPG for seasons past you guys also cry foul.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
In those same years

Eichel - .99 p/pg
Marner - .92 p/pg

If you ad time on ice its Marner by a mile. JE basically played about 20 more games than MM during MMs first 2 years. JE averaged about 4 min more per game over 82 games.

Reactions: Smif

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Serious question, do you guys all get together and have a discussion before hand to determine if you are going to use points or points per game to make your player look better? Because for some reason when we use points for Eichel and Matthews everyone cries foul and if we use PPG for seasons past you guys also cry foul.
For the first 2 years of Matthews career others kept saying how Matthews never reached 70 points. So don't complain when I use the point totals of Marner that shows he's been better than Eichel.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
For the first 2 years of Matthews career others kept saying how Matthews never reached 70 points. So don't complain when I use the point totals of Marner that shows he's been better than Eichel.

But previously you would use PPG as an argument....but in this case you don’t because....

Reactions: Snowman

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But previously you would use PPG as an argument....but in this case you don’t because....
Don't be upset that this is one time where Leafs fans can show how someone like Marner has had better seasons than Eichel when we use total points as an example. It was done multiple times to mention how Matthews never had 70 points until this season.

Hell I always long before this season that Marner could be the second best player from the 2015 draft and I was told no way Eichel is the clear cut #2 after McDavid. I guess that prediction doesn't look as stupid anymore.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Don't be upset that this is one time where Leafs fans can show how someone like Marner has had better seasons than Eichel when we use total points as an example. It was done multiple times to mention how Matthews never had 70 points until this season.

Hell I always long before this season that Marner could be the second best player from the 2015 draft and I was told no way Eichel is the clear cut #2 after McDavid. I guess that prediction doesn't look as stupid anymore.

So you would admit then that Eichel was better than Matthews this year, because he had more points right? I mean you just admitted that this is the ONE time a leaf fan can show how someone like Marner has had better seasons then Eichel. So that would seem to suggest you had been unable to do so in the past with Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So you would admit then that Eichel was better than Matthews this year, because he had more points right? I mean you just admitted that this is the ONE time a leaf fan can show how someone like Marner has had better seasons then Eichel. So that would seem to suggest you had been unable to do so in the past with Matthews.
Matthews still had 37 goals compared to the 28 for Eichel and for the third straight year he's in the playoffs, where as Buffalo finished 27th overall which is 5th worst record and others were saying the Sabres would be a threat to make the playoffs.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Both are superior players to Eichel.

Really doesnt matter which way anyone Tries to spin it. Be it points in a season, PPG, xpgygfs%, Corsirelper60*23....

Reactions: Wendelstache

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Matthews still had 37 goals compared to the 28 for Eichel and for the third straight year he's in the playoffs, where as Buffalo finished 27th overall which is 5th worst record and others were saying the Sabres would be a threat to make the playoffs.

Lol. Look at this doubling down. See it’s really simple: the argument is valid for the Leafs player because he plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

By your metric, raw totals, Eichel should be superior than Matthews but that’s not possible because Matthews is a Toronto Maple Leaf.

Also boasting about Matthews making the playoffs is one thing, now imagine if he actually DID something.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Both are superior players to Eichel.

Really doesnt matter which way anyone Tries to spin it. Be it points in a season, PPG, xpgygfs%, Corsirelper60*23....

This is cool and all but has very little to do with the actual point I am making. It is disingenuous to make your point using overall points and then later say overall points don't matter and only PPG does when it suits your argument. This has happened in every single thread comparing a leafs player to Eichel. If Eichel has them beat in points then only PPG matters, if Eichel has them beat in PPG, then it's points that really matter. I am pointing out the hypocrisy, I don't care who you think is better, just quit flip flopping on how you make your point. Obviously I don't mean you as in you personally in this case. You only joined the forums less than a month ago and could be unaware that this has been happening for years.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
There's never proof about hockey IQ. Its one of the most subjective measures.

I think Marner has a top 10 hockey IQ in the league. Eichel also has a good hockey IQ, but Marner's hockey IQ isn't far behind the absolute best in the league in this category.
no offense, but this reply is completely meaningless.

When a player has lesser physical tools, not as good shot etc. Like Marner compared to Eichel and is still way better player..... There is only one thing left that makes The difference.
now this reply i can buy

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol. Look at this doubling down. See it’s really simple: the argument is valid for the Leafs player because he plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

By your metric, raw totals, Eichel should be superior than Matthews but that’s not possible because Matthews is a Toronto Maple Leaf.

Also boasting about Matthews making the playoffs is one thing, now imagine if he actually DID something.
It's still better than Eichel being a coach killer.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
i actually feel sorry for you
No reason to. Ignorance is a bliss. Most TOR Frans (not all and there are actually some decent posters with insight ab hockey knowledge) just follow what ever TSN Feeds them. Many on this site think that their 3rd best player is actually their best or Even worse one of The very top players in The world....

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Too close to call, imagine these two on a line together
I don't think they'd have that much synergy other than both being really good players. They both like to have the puck on their stick a lot and act as set up guys, that's one reason the Tavares pairing is going so well for Marner - Tavares doesn't need to possess the puck much to be effective, and is a good finisher from the places that Marner gets the puck to him

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

Don't act like buffalo fans are any better.

In the early days auston outscored Eichel and yet buffalo fans (fairly certain you are one of the guilty members) always tried to use ppg and compare rookie season vs sophomore lol

Both fanbases are guilty of switching their criteria.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

The same people who believe Marner>Eichel, most likely also believe Marner>Matthews for the same reasons. Could also just be homers that vote for their guy, just like every other fan base.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Don't act like buffalo fans are any better.

In the early days auston outscored Eichel and yet buffalo fans (fairly certain you are one of the guilty members) always tried to use ppg and compare rookie season vs sophomore lol

Both fanbases are guilty of switching their criteria.

I would love for you to take some time and look at my post history. I have said in pretty much every poll/thread for about the last 2 years that Matthews is the superior player. MAYBE going as far as to say they are close. But by all means continue to make assumptions about me with no merit. Perhaps you are mixing me up with JackAttack?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I would love for you to take some time and look at my post history. I have said in pretty much every poll/thread for about the last 2 years that Matthews is the superior player. MAYBE going as far as to say they are close. But by all means continue to make assumptions about me with no merit. Perhaps you are mixing me up with JackAttack?

This goes back almost 3 years.

Like I said, I am fairly certain as I do recognize your name but it may be from other topics.

I was merely trying to show that buffalo fans are not above switching their criteria as well.

I know that leaf fans are guilty of this though.

And rofl no I dont think I'd get you mixed up with jackattack. He is to unique.

Last edited:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
get on our level man. Y'all need to start holding your daily conference call to discuss the day's agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad