Marner vs Eichel

Marner or Eichel

• Total voters

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Who cares who this board thinks is better as long as Marner ends up costing the Leafs $12M a year :) life will be good.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Close but I would take Eichel - position and size and Marner gets a real nice support system which sadly GM Jack is missing out on.

Also Matthews is better/more valuable than either imo.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Too close to call. Eichel has the positional advantage and is an absolute beast when you look at the raw tools (the may be 5 or so guys who have Eichel's level of speed and strength). Marner may (and I stress may) be slightly better and more exciting, but Sabres absolutely didn't mess up that pick. Just turned out to be a draft where a lot of teams got amazing players.
This

I voted Eichel cause he's a center

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
Who cares who this board thinks is better as long as Marner ends up costing the Leafs $12M a year :) life will be good.

Who cares if Marner makes 12M a year when hes a much better player than Eichel and he makes 10M? Teams want to win hockey games last time I checked but I guess Sabre fans have completely given up on the thought of that ever happening.

Hows life again?:laugh:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Better player? Marner.

More valuable player? That's a tougher question. Eichel is a stud 1C, I guess if a team was starting fresh they would need that 1C but if you have a good center already then Marner becomes more valuable.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Someone needs to dig up all the replies on here when anyone suggested (as one NHL scout did pre-draft) that Marner might, just might, outscore Eichel. He's already done it, both in a single season and in career PPG. Most of those people look like idiots now.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
I look at things like Matthews quality of competition, his 5 on 5 production, his career metrics vs the league, his position whereas Marner gets sheltered minutes.

But Marner won a poll on HF? That has a pretty small sample of fans and pretty much meaningless IMO.

Marner faces top lines. Babcock said if Matthews was going to play with Marner he would have to be ready to play against top lines.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I look at things like Matthews quality of competition, his 5 on 5 production, his career metrics vs the league, his position whereas Marner gets sheltered minutes.

But Marner won a poll on HF? That has a pretty small sample of fans and pretty much meaningless IMO.

You do realize that Matthews was our most sheltered forward this season, right?

I'd say right now the majority of leaf fans think marner is better.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
I got roasted hard by suggesting that Marner was more skilled that Eichel.

He is though? I'd still pick Eichel due to him being a center.

Edit: and also because Marner is potentially going to cost more.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
You do realize that Matthews was our most sheltered forward this season, right?

I'd say right now the majority of leaf fans think marner is better.
Why is Marner getting harder minutes now? Because he's on Tavares line.

Marner played two season with JVR and Bozak, the most sheltered line in the league while Matthews was leading the league in 5 on 5 goals with the hardest minutes.

Most fans don't think Marner's better, the sample size and context is being ignored and you're putting up a false narrative of 'most fans'.

Most fans are pissed at the notion of Marner getting Matthews money, go figure.

But speak out of both sides of your mouth to make a silly point.

Again (because you'll ignore the context) take Tavares off Marner's line and teams put out their best against Matthews. Marner isn't the variable for harder competition.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Marner faces top lines. Babcock said if Matthews was going to play with Marner he would have to be ready to play against top lines.
Tavares faces top lines. Marner was a bottom six Kessel with the Pens sheltered darling pre Tavares. That is when he played his way off the 4th line but sure, Babcock just adores Marner....

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Tavares faces top lines. Marner was a bottom six Kessel with the Pens sheltered darling pre Tavares. That is when he played his way off the 4th line but sure, Babcock just adores Marner....

I just told you that Babcock said Matthews (a center) would have to face top lines if he played with Marner.
Nobody cares about what year you are talking about... we are talking NOW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad