Speculation: Marner V13 See OP for Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
12.5m x 8, signed 2 years ago, after a significant public discount/lack of leverage used, which gives him arguably the best post-ELC contract at time of signing in the entire cap era**
So McDavid took a discount. Eichel’s gm gave an overpayment. Why is only ONE of those allowed to be used as a comparable to Matthews?

Point still stands. McDavid and his “discount”. Eichel and his “overpayment”. Matthews still fit somewhere in between over EIGHT years.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
WIth mcDavid at 12.5x8.... you tell me. What is the fair Matthews aav at EIGHT years?
really can't use that, McDavid took less than he was offered. If the leafs offered Mathews 11 and he said give me 10 it wouldn't be a true number of his worth. Who knows how much McDavid could have got if he tried to squeeze them to increase their opening offer.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
really can't use that McDavid took less than he was offered. If the leafs offered Mathews 11 and he said give me 10 it woukdnt be a true number of his worth. Who knows how much McDavid could have got if he tried to squeeze them to increase their opening offer.
And Eichel’s gm gave him an overpayment. The discount and overpayment balance each other out, and Matthews still deserves somewhere in between Eichel’s 10x8 and McDavids 12.5x8. (And let’s be honest... his stats were MUCH closer to a Eichel’s than to McDavids).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Haha, right.

Of course.

You and a handful of other leaf fans are “right”, and quite literally everyone else is wrong.

I have literally had a flat earther say something similar to me. Everyone else is just “wrong” and “stupid”.
And still the earth is not flat. That is how I feel feel with the whining about Dubas, Matthews and Nylander ect. People are actually saying that those contracts are bad. It is like listing to that Flat Earther you mentioned. The contracts will still be fair regardless of the whining, capitalized posts and claims of being right especially when they are clearly wrong.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes, clearly MATTHEWS is happy with his unprecedented dramatic overpayment. I don’t for a second believe the leafs are. Our rookie gm gave him a blank check after being humiliated and losing his confidence in the Nylander debacle.

Read the full quote. He clearly means you lol

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
And Eichel’s gm gave him an overpayment. The discount and overpayment balance each other out, and Matthews still deserves somewhere in between Eichel’s 10x8 and McDavids 12.5x8. (And let’s be honest... his stats were MUCH closer to a Eichel’s than to McDavids).
McDavid probably could have got max. So Mathews is somewhere between 10 and 16

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah. He makes 12.5x8.

What should Matthews aav be at EIGHT years?
If he negotiated his current contract at 8 years, that would be fine too. I suppose I would have to be correcting people on his two broken shoulders and how the contract is too long ect ect ect - you've seen the whining on the board. However, as it stands he negotiated 5 year contract and people complain about that too!

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
And still the earth is not flat. That is how I feel feel with the whining about Dubas, Matthews and Nylander ect. People are actually saying that those contracts are bad. It is like listing to that Flat Earther you mentioned. The contracts will still be fair regardless of the whining, capitalized posts and claims of being right especially when they are clearly wrong.
You’re obviously the flat earther in my comparison. Pretty much everyone in the world, who also know how to asses nhl stats, think matthews contract isnt just bad, but HUMILIATING.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
There is one thing that Is slightly different than Matthews and their contracts. They signed for 3 years longer. What would their contracts be if they only signed for 5 years. The second Matthews signed that contract by Dubas, it just proved that Eichel and McDavid signed to perfectly fine contracts.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If you think Dubas’s rfa contracts have been “fair”, you are amongst a VERY small minority of nhl fans.

I dare you to create a poll asking other fans what they think of the Matthews contract.

Yes. They’re all already aware of the nonsense stats you and your ilk cling to. They quite literally don’t change ANYBODYS minds though.

Matthews should have got somewhere in between Eichel and McDavids aav over EIGHT years. What he got is a complete and utter joke. And it’s not (lol) “leaf hate” that makes everyone critical of the contract.

Newsflash for ýou: nothing will change àny of their minds about anything Leaf related. Daring someone to make a poll about ìt is the height of stupidity or ignorance, your choice. You are talking about the same group who about a year and a half ago voted 75% that Marner was a 4th liner. If you want intelligence, look outside these forums, especially as it pertains to Toronto. Hell less than a year ago the mantra was "Toronto can't replace the scoring of Komarov, Martin, Bozak and JVR with Tavares" ( which of course they did with Johnsson and Kapanen, let alone Tavares).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You’re obviously the flat earther in my comparison. Pretty much everyone in the world, who also know how to asses nhl stats, think matthews contract isnt just bad, but HUMILIATING.
No, I am the spherical earther. I have to correct people with facts. What are you talking about now? It dosn't matter to me what "asses" think. There is a reason they are called "asses" as you point out, one reason is they think the "
matthews contract isnt just bad, but HUMILIATING" . Though people who really understand the current NHL situation know this to be untrue. We don't even have to use caps to attempt to get a point across.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Every teams 4th line is dirt cheap.

It’s the leafs DEFENCE that is affected by these unprecedented dramatic overpayments of the forward stars.

You're going to have to explain that one. Who was the more expensive option we missed out on?

3 guys at 700k vs 3 guys at 1-2 mil is the exact difference in "overpayment" to our top players. Our defense has 4x players over 4 mil (with retention on Barrie).

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
If the leafs manage to win a cup in our DAMN lifetime, will the regulars be bickering about which player got handed the cup 5th?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
How can you be humiliated by something that has literally nothing to do with you? That's up there with caring about what others think about what someone with no connection to you does. Likewise, maybe you should give him a chance to play even one game under said contract? That or at least go outside and take a deep breath?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
(And let’s be honest... his stats were MUCH closer to a Eichel’s than to McDavids).

Not true. At the time of their signings, McDavid outscored Matthews by .19/ppg, while AM outscored Eichel by .17/ppg. Pretty well split.

That doesn't factor in the goal scoring gap that Matthews clearly held over both.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Regardless of a few exceptions rather than rules, 4th lines are DIRT cheap. And the leafs have one D locked up after this season.
don't use words like "every" when it's very easy to do basic research and realize that's not the case. and the Leafs can easily get the room to sign more defenders next season when it actually becomes a concern. Dubas did pretty well in building up a defense for this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad