Speculation: Marner V13 See OP for Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Continue here.

Mod Note: This is a Marner Thread, not an anything related to Toronto pissing contest thread. Be prepared for thread bans if you can not stay on topic.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
All this waiting game is really pretty stupid.

someone has to blink somewhere.

Nylander should scare people. He had a really bad season. Toronto doesn't want Marner to have a bad year (nor Col with Ranta, Point in Tampa, etc). Having the player anxious all summer/not training properly with team, especially at their age, can hurt their performance this year.

Sticking to Toronto. They're a cup contender. Win-now mode. Great core Make sure your top guys have a great season. You know you'll get a deal done eventually - just do it now?

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Can someone sum up the first 12 threads? I feel like I'm behind...

My two main summary points:

1. A lot of non-Leaf fans think the Leafs drastically overpaid Matthews, Nylander and soon to be Marner.
2. A lot of arguing about whether they'll be able to ice a good enough team with having so much money tied into 3-4 players.

My opinions on these two points:

1. Leaf fans don't care if people think our players are overpaid. We're about to have all our core player locked up long term. Let's stop hammering away insisting everyone has to be in agreement whether or not they're overpaid. Keeping the core players together is the most important thing.

2. See the bolded in answer #1. It has worked out so the argument is dead. As soon as Marner signs, which he will, the cap nightmares that everyone has been predicting for 3 seasons are over and everyone is locked up. On paper this team is stacked so there shouldn't be any worries about whether we can ice a good enough team. It cost us a 1st round pick in the Marleau deal to make it happen, but it's done. And on top of that we haven't had to lose all of our depth as a result because we've still got very solid secondary pieces in place (Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, etc.).

Yes other players like Rielly, Dermott, etc. are going to need new contracts in a few years, but that's no different than every team in the league. We'll make trades, graduate prospects and sign UFA's to make this work just like every other GM in the league does when managing their team in a cap world. The biggest cap concerns were always going to be this offseason and Dubas has navigated that ship beautifully. Now just sit back and enjoy the next 5 years of contending. Hopefully we can manage to snag a cup out of this core.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

SYG6Y7T.png

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
LOL. You're forgetting one SMALL detail................Matthews wouldn't sign for 9 million. But he would sign for 11.6 million. And Tavares wanted and got 11 million. And Marner wants a lot, and will get a lot.

That's the cost of having a bunch of Superstars on your team.

The Leafs will fit them all in. And they have some great D-men coming up too, on cheap contracts for awhile.

You can all stop worrying.

:)

@Mackinaw
If Matthews was signing for 8 years sure.
But when he only signs for 5 that should be reflected as an RFA with NO arbitration rights.

It was great to get him signed early and avoid the pressure and drama of getting the next contract done. But by conceding on all ends (AAV, bonuses and term) the team has now hamstrung themselves with having to over pay 2 RFA stars for those short contracts.

Saying Matthews wouldn't sign a bridge for 9million or the 11+ for the long term contract seems weird. What other comparable could be used to get that money. Hopefully Matthews can have a healthy season that allows him to deliver the value of his contract. Because if he misses another chunk of games this contract becomes an over payment. The problem isn't even paying Matthews this much it's that they set themselves up to also have to pay a similar contract to Marner. When you need to ice a full roster having too much of your cap tied up in the 3 guys is far from ideal. Reilly is currently the only "big player" on the team who could be said to have a team friendly deal (mainly because of when he signed it). The team has a 3 year window with Reilly and these other big forward contracts to get something done in the playoffs. The Leafs window would be easier to keep open longer with more flexibility.

If the team does reach a conference finals or the big dance then it will be an interesting study in cap management. If not then those contracts will be pointed to as a major hurdle that got in the way of icing a team that could get over the hump.

Reactions: flamesforcup

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I haven’t followed this negotiation but I’m starting to get interested because camp is getting close and all these unsigned RFAs are going to have an impact. Sorry if my questions have been covered but Marner is a Leaf so you know the press is all over it.

Where exactly does the negotiation stand? What are the Leafs Offering? Do we know Marner’s last ask?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Marner will not sign until regular season starts---my prediction.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I haven’t followed this negotiation but I’m starting to get interested because camp is getting close and all these unsigned RFAs are going to have an impact. Sorry if my questions have been covered but Marner is a Leaf so you know the press is all over it.

Where exactly does the negotiation stand? What are the Leafs Offering? Do we know Marner’s last ask?

Nothing has come out. Just pundits supposing where they think things would be. Conversations are regular though.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
@Mackinaw
If Matthews was signing for 8 years sure.
But when he only signs for 5 that should be reflected as an RFA with NO arbitration rights.

It was great to get him signed early and avoid the pressure and drama of getting the next contract done. But by conceding on all ends (AAV, bonuses and term) the team has now hamstrung themselves with having to over pay 2 RFA stars for those short contracts.

Saying Matthews wouldn't sign a bridge for 9million or the 11+ for the long term contract seems weird. What other comparable could be used to get that money. Hopefully Matthews can have a healthy season that allows him to deliver the value of his contract. Because if he misses another chunk of games this contract becomes an over payment. The problem isn't even paying Matthews this much it's that they set themselves up to also have to pay a similar contract to Marner. When you need to ice a full roster having too much of your cap tied up in the 3 guys is far from ideal. Reilly is currently the only "big player" on the team who could be said to have a team friendly deal (mainly because of when he signed it). The team has a 3 year window with Reilly and these other big forward contracts to get something done in the playoffs. The Leafs window would be easier to keep open longer with more flexibility.

If the team does reach a conference finals or the big dance then it will be an interesting study in cap management. If not then those contracts will be pointed to as a major hurdle that got in the way of icing a team that could get over the hump.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here... Toronto will either win, or lose?

Superstars get paid. It shouldn't be his contract people point to, but rather what Dubas and the team has done overall. The respect Dubas has shown his players I think bodes well for when he needs to be re-signed. Matthews is the least of Toronto's concerns now. To say they've hamstrung themselves with him is quite frankly a ridiculous statement, he hasn't even stepped on the ice with his new deal yet. You only need a few fingers to count the players who have scored that much, that quickly, in the past quarter century.

Marner is quite obviously not going to be signed to the number Matthews was.

Reactions: Placid Perspicuity

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
My two main summary points:

1. A lot of non-Leaf fans think the Leafs drastically overpaid Matthews, Nylander and soon to be Marner.
2. A lot of arguing about whether they'll be able to ice a good enough team with having so much money tied into 3-4 players.

My opinions on these two points:

1. Leaf fans don't care if people think our players are overpaid. We're about to have all our core player locked up long term. Let's stop hammering away insisting everyone has to be in agreement whether or not they're overpaid. Keeping the core players together is the most important thing.
Im a Leaf fan and I agree we paid a hefty premium for Matthews, Nylander, and most likely Marner. So it's not just "non Leaf fans" that think this.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Approximately 12000+ posts on this subject and related subjects. Is there anything left to say that hasn't been said before hundreds of times?
Anyone got anything original to add to the discussion?
Note: Its highly likely that my post isn't original either.

I look forward to someone offering a original and different point of view that will provide new insight into the subject of this never ending thread.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
What is the latest on this? I would like to get Tkachuk done, but it's all a waiting game for Marner.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
To sum up the previous threads:

"Toronto doesn't want to pay their players lulz"

August 30th, 2019:

Point
Rantanen
Mcavoy
Marner
Tkachuk
Werenski
Connor
Laine
Provorov