Speculation: Marner to Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
It grinds my gears, when people think their desire to control speech. matters more than anyone else privilege to post on this forum. Can we stop with these lock this thread posts?

This forum is not just for YOU.. believe it or not there are other people, with other thoughts and other topics they would like to talk about that wont interest you. Just move along and contribute to threads that interest you.

Sure this thread is a bit of a knee jerk reaction but , perhaps leaving Marner avail, allows us to get cap relief and pick up other pieces. We take a look at the unprotected list, we tell Seattle, trade us this, this and this from the unprotected list and we leave Marner unprotected. We have some pieces , like Andersen, Hyman and Reilly coming up that are due for raises and perhaps we trade some, let some walk and replace them with younger cheaper talent, from a Marner trade/ unprotected.
It's a terrible idea to give him away for free as the original post states. Locking the thread is just to curb stupidity. That is all.

Reactions: Jeypic and Ciao

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If Marner is a no show tonight an we lose, welcome to LA

Adrian Kempe- cheap solid two way winger with chemistry with Willy
Turcotte/~8th overall 2021 / Byfield / Vilardi
Kupari/ Anderson-Dolan / Kaliev/ Thomas

They've got the assets to make a deal.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Explore trading him sure, as with all players, but give away for free? That would be lunacy.

I’d rather retain 50% and trade him than just get rid of him

Reactions: Ciao and ToneDog

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
On its face, it feels like a bit of a WTF thread but if you look at where this team is going with salaries and what we have done in the playoffs over the last 4 years, is cap relief and some younger good quality players in the pipeline really that bad of an idea?

If Mark Stone can get you Erik Brannstrom, 19, who was selected 15th overall in 2017 by the Golden Knights and is considered an elite puck-moving defensive prospect. The Knights also sent forward Oscar Lindberg and a second-round pick in 2020 that belonged to the Dallas Stars.

If Max Pacioretty can get you Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki and a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

What is Marner worth?

Are we better minus Marner + more cap space + a high end prospect , + a high end prospect ,+ a quality top 6 forward and/or top 4 dman, +(?) ?

It sounds crazy to think moving Marner as a possibility but looking at it from 50,000 feet, how do we get cap flexibility and keep the core? How do we improve without cap flexibility?
I’m thinking wtf just because we’d be losing him with no asset in returns.

I get your overall point though absolutely.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Terrible deal from the beginning - should have played hard ball with him like real GMS would do .
But his mental health bro!

(his mental health would probably be a lot better over the long term if he signed for 7-8 million instead of 10.”93”. Once again things are not always how they seem. Shocker)

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I said at the time of the deal I would have told him you can hold out as long as you want I’m not giving you a dime over 9.5. It’s more than Rantanen got so he should be happy with it. Dubas f***ed this one up

Can you imagine making a player with a career high of 73 points the 3rd highest paid player with the shortest term of anyone in the top ~25?

Dubas has to be one of the worst contract negotiators in the league.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Yes Marner has been barely a 3rd line plug this playoffs but you don't just dump a person based on their worst 2 weeks. If your wife was being just a miserable SOB for 2 weeks in a row, do you divorce her? No.

Marner is a smart player, he will put this experience in his memory banks and be a better player for it.

He's a keeper no matter how bad he is producing right now.

Yeah except using that analogy he's been miserable for 3 consecutive playoffs now. This is becoming a toxic relationship.

Reactions: axlrose87

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah except using that analogy he's been miserable for 3 consecutive playoffs now. This is becoming a toxic relationship.

To be fair each round lasted about 2 weeks, so your wife has been a grump for 6 week then. DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVORCE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner for Eichel

Marner for Couterier + Provorov

Marner for Meier + 2022 top 3 protected 1st which becomes 2023 unprotected 1st if it doesn't convert

Marner + Dermott for Klinberg + Seguin

Marner for Seth Jones + Gustav Nyqvist

Marner for Guentzel + Marino

Marner for Holtz + Severson + 2021 1st

Those are the types of trades I move out Marner for if he fails to perform tonight and we lose

Le Magnifique

Feb 22, 2021
Y
Would you guys be happy if we don't protect Marner and let him go to the Seattle draft?

In my opinion I wouldn't care at all, cap space in this era is more important than getting the return. Right now(COVID-19) 50% teams can't afford to pay a player who is invisible in playoffs 11 mil. More and more stars are becoming UFA due to the flat cap or affordability issues.

Would you take 11 mil in cap space and run with it or you still want to retain some and maybe get mediocre return at best?
Your plan of take 11 mil and just "run with it" is as incomplete as it is dumb.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You have to get trade value .. but 1st we have to decide on who will lead da rebuild after Shanny and/or Dubie fired

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You have to get trade value .. but 1st we have to decide on who will lead da rebuild after Shanny and/or Dubie fired

I think that's premature. There's a strong case to be made that overall organization has never been healthier, and that the performance of our depth players and defense this season and playoff has shown that overall philosophy can work. If we lose this series it will be because the horses in the lead haven't lived up to expectation in the playoffs, and this is pretty much the earliest you could justifiably give up on either of them.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think that's premature. There's a strong case to be made that overall organization has never been healthier, and that the performance of our depth players and defense this season and playoff has shown that overall philosophy can work. If we lose this series it will be because the horses in the lead haven't lived up to expectation in the playoffs, and this is pretty much the earliest you could justifiably give up on either of them.
Shanny will be told you either chose a more established and accomplished GM or we are removing you .. he will fire Dubie .. da team is in da worst shape ever financially, CAP wise and losing wise .. it is what happens when a CORE fails to deliver and this CORE is failing every year

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Shouldn’t you be elsewhere?
Not here chirping or anything of the sort, I read other boards when im bored and I live in Toronto so keeping up with leafs talk gives me something to chat about with coworkers,

Anyway I thought it was a weird idea to trade marner to seattle then end up with Eichel and I still do why wouldn't you wait until after the expansion draft and then just do it then. which fwiw I do think is an interesting Idea to consider but I'd probably stick with marner if I was dubas, devil you know and all of that

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Shanny will be told you either chose a more established and accomplished GM or we are removing you .. he will fire Dubie .. da team is in da worst shape ever financially, CAP wise and losing wise .. it is what happens when a CORE fails to deliver and this CORE is failing every year

That's on COVID, not Shanny or Dubas.

The CORE is 24 years old. Giving up on them younger would have been asinine. If we lose tonight and they want to triple down on M&M, then you consider firing them, but if they're going to call the audible and move Marner firing them would be shortsighted.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's on COVID, not Shanny or Dubas.

The CORE is 24 years old. Giving up on them younger would have been asinine. If we lose tonight and they want to triple down on M&M, then you consider firing them, but if they're going to call the audible and move Marner firing them would be shortsighted.
lol. Dubas is 100% fired if the Leafs lose tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad