Speculation: Marner to Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Would you guys be happy if we don't protect Marner and let him go to the Seattle draft?

In my opinion I wouldn't care at all, cap space in this era is more important than getting the return. Right now(COVID-19) 50% teams can't afford to pay a player who is invisible in playoffs 11 mil. More and more stars are becoming UFA due to the flat cap or affordability issues.

Would you take 11 mil in cap space and run with it or you still want to retain some and maybe get mediocre return at best?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Would you guys be happy if we don't protect Marner and let him go to the Seattle draft?

In my opinion I wouldn't care at all, cap space in this era is more important than getting the return. Right now(COVID-19) 50% teams can't afford to pay a player who is invisible in playoffs 11 mil. More and more stars are becoming UFA due to the flat cap or affordability issues.

Would you take 11 mil in cap space and run with it or you still want to retain some and maybe get mediocre return at best?
To answer you question

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
upload_2021-5-31_2-42-35.gif

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yes Marner has been barely a 3rd line plug this playoffs but you don't just dump a person based on their worst 2 weeks. If your wife was being just a miserable SOB for 2 weeks in a row, do you divorce her? No.

Marner is a smart player, he will put this experience in his memory banks and be a better player for it.

He's a keeper no matter how bad he is producing right now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Do you mean, Seattle offers 3 1st. round picks to leave him unprotected?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Lock this thread please.

It grinds my gears, when people think their desire to control speech. matters more than anyone else privilege to post on this forum. Can we stop with these lock this thread posts?

This forum is not just for YOU.. believe it or not there are other people, with other thoughts and other topics they would like to talk about that wont interest you. Just move along and contribute to threads that interest you.

Sure this thread is a bit of a knee jerk reaction but , perhaps leaving Marner avail, allows us to get cap relief and pick up other pieces. We take a look at the unprotected list, we tell Seattle, trade us this, this and this from the unprotected list and we leave Marner unprotected. We have some pieces , like Andersen, Hyman and Reilly coming up that are due for raises and perhaps we trade some, let some walk and replace them with younger cheaper talent, from a Marner trade/ unprotected.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
It grinds my gears, when people think their desire to control speech. matters more than anyone else privilege to post on this forum. Can we stop with these lock this thread posts?

This forum is not just for YOU.. believe it or not there are other people, with other thoughts and other topics they would like to talk about that wont interest you. Just move along and contribute to threads that interest you.

Sure this thread is a bit of a knee jerk reaction but , perhaps leaving Marner avail, allows us to get cap relief and pick up other pieces. We take a look at the unprotected list, we tell Seattle, trade us this, this and this from the unprotected list and we leave Marner unprotected. We have some pieces , like Andersen, Hyman and Reilly coming up that are due for raises and perhaps we trade some, let some walk and replace them with younger cheaper talent, from a Marner trade/ unprotected.
I sort of agree with what you are saying but when threads are as egregious as this, I expect to hear comments like that. Especially when basically every other thread is already bashing the same guy.

Reactions: Jeypic and Ciao

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
As upset as I am with Marner, now is not the time to inquire about these things. This is arguably the worst couple days of Marner's career. These are very emotional takes at this point.

Reactions: The Cobra

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Giving Marner up for free is honestly the stupidest f***ing thing this fanbase has come up with in the last year. I kind of expected to see it here and there, but there's actually quite a few people saying it which has me truly alarmed for the state of the education system.

Mitch Marner was 4th in league scoring this year and you want to give him to Seattle, FOR FREE?

Stop listening to the MORONS on the mainboards who tell you that every guy who is 2m overpaid is worthless. Yes, Marner is overpaid. Yes, 11m is hard to move especially in a flat cap league. However, the logical leap from those premises all the way to "give him away FOR FREE" is practically from your house to MARS.

If we trade Marner we will be getting a hell of a package back. We might even lose the deal, but we will get a whole pile of stuff. You think we can't even get some late ass first round pick and instead we should give him away for free? Put the crack pipe down for f***'s sakes.

I don't mind that we're all despondent and mourning the core but don't be stupid ffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That’s a horrible idea. Have you taken a knock to the head recently?

Reactions: Ciao

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I sort of agree with what you are saying but when threads are as egregious as this, I expect to hear comments like that. Especially when basically every other thread is already bashing the same guy.
I completely agree with him.

For example, I personally have no interest in threads about numbers or jerseys, so I just use the ignore thread feature. There's no reason for me to ask the threads be "locked up" because I don't want to discuss it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

On its face, it feels like a bit of a WTF thread but if you look at where this team is going with salaries and what we have done in the playoffs over the last 4 years, is cap relief and some younger good quality players in the pipeline really that bad of an idea?

If Mark Stone can get you Erik Brannstrom, 19, who was selected 15th overall in 2017 by the Golden Knights and is considered an elite puck-moving defensive prospect. The Knights also sent forward Oscar Lindberg and a second-round pick in 2020 that belonged to the Dallas Stars.

If Max Pacioretty can get you Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki and a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

What is Marner worth?

Are we better minus Marner + more cap space + a high end prospect , + a high end prospect ,+ a quality top 6 forward and/or top 4 dman, +(?) ?

It sounds crazy to think moving Marner as a possibility but looking at it from 50,000 feet, how do we get cap flexibility and keep the core? How do we improve without cap flexibility?

Mar 26, 2010
I would be very happy. I want Marner out of Toronto. Can’t stand him.

Highly doubt Seattle takes him with that cap hit anyway.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You think they'd keep him or flip him?

I think they are going to be a big bruising team, just guessing from their scouting staff and the type of players they were, I think they flip him for a big strong dirty fast player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad