Speculation: Marner to Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
lol. Dubas is 100% fired if the Leafs lose tonight.

And it will be a shortsighted/scapegoat decision. Fired for betting on Matthews/Marner, a bet that if he didn't make and traded them young he'd be fired for.

M&M combined for 11 goals in 10 games against the Habs this season, have 1 in 6 in the series. We're the much better hockey team. The regular season showed that. This series is showing that even with JT down our depth and defense were strong. If M&M contributed to their normal level the series was over in 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumberg and Jeypic

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
It’s not Seattle hanging up the phone they are new to the league They didn’t just received a Brain the other day he’s a good player if there’s nothing on the line like the regular season sucks when the playoffs come around the time it really counts it’s not I show up and that’s good enough stop with the excuses for this clown

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Not here chirping or anything of the sort, I read other boards when im bored and I live in Toronto so keeping up with leafs talk gives me something to chat about with coworkers,

Anyway I thought it was a weird idea to trade marner to seattle then end up with Eichel and I still do why wouldn't you wait until after the expansion draft and then just do it then. which fwiw I do think is an interesting Idea to consider but I'd probably stick with marner if I was dubas, devil you know and all of that

Yes and no cause with the “devil you know” you know where you are coming up short...it’s great for MM to run up 100 point regular seasons and nobody will ever say he isn’t supremely skilled...but if he can’t produce in the playoffs then really what purpose does he serve? We aren’t in this to win presidents trophies we are here for Stanley cups...if he can’t elevate his play then as much as I dislike eichel (he seems way too self centered for my liking) then you have to consider it with an add as the guy is still young and definitely has the belief needed to drive in the playoffs

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Lot of members are going to hide for a few weeks, after the Leafs win tonight.

Its been one helluva series, befitting the history of these two teams. No doubt.

I think that sports bettor fellow was one game off, tonight is M and M's night.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Lot of members are going to hide for a few weeks, after the Leafs win tonight.

Its been one helluva series, befitting the history of these two teams. No doubt.

I think that sports bettor fellow was one game off, tonight is M and M's night.
Put down the weed Doesn’t matter if they win or not they’re not doing anything the team is too freaking lazy especially the star players Remember the pressure is not on Montreal remember before the series started not if we would beat them by how much we would beat them Toronto never does anything easy now I’m reading post that they’ll kill Winnipeg wow fans just can’t pay attention to Facts lmao

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Man... I wish there was a way to make every leaf fan know just how front loaded Marner's contract is, and how a team will get four years of Marner for just over SIX million dollars per in REAL money. There are plenty of teams (especially with covid) that care more about their bottom lines than cap space. Marner is a very VERY tradeable asset.

Reactions: justloveleafs

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Listen we've all been beyond frustrated with his playoff struggles. But giving him up for free would be the stupidest thing this team could due. Dubas/Shanahan would never work in the NHL again.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think the real question is that if we do trade Marner after a lacklustre playoffs - what kind of trade are we looking at?

Bottom Tier - Kessel - offensive catalyst coming off terrible end to season, "can't win with", contract/NTC issues
1st + Top Prospect + Depth roster play (2nd rounder going back)

Mid tier - Nash - no playoff track record, languishing on a bad team and thought to have more to give, but cap hit and NMC limited trade
1st + top prospect + prime age top 6 wing coming off down year + young top 9 C with potential

Top tier - Carter/Richards/Staal - high end young player traded due to cap / change of direction
2 x top 5-10 pick level assets

Using LA as an example (good fit IMO)
Bottom - Top 5 protected 2022 1st + Kupari/Thomas + Lemieux
Middle - Top 5 protected 2022 1st +Kempe + Kupari/Thomas + Lizotte
Top - two of Byfield/Vilardi/Turcotte/8th overall. (Could see Kempe sub in)

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
This threads topic of leaving Mitch unprotected is beyond dumb, but am I 100% looking at trade opportunities in the summer? Yes.
Columbus was interested in him as an rfa, they’re not a cap team so real money matters and Mitch isn’t owed a lot relative to performance or the aav he carries. They also have a stud RHD who’s not interested in re-signing and who’s dad played professionally in this town once upon a time.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I think the real question is that if we do trade Marner after a lacklustre playoffs - what kind of trade are we looking at?

Bottom Tier - Kessel - offensive catalyst coming off terrible end to season, "can't win with", contract/NTC issues
1st + Top Prospect + Depth roster play (2nd rounder going back)

Mid tier - Nash - no playoff track record, languishing on a bad team and thought to have more to give, but cap hit and NMC limited trade
1st + top prospect + prime age top 6 wing coming off down year + young top 9 C with potential

Top tier - Carter/Richards/Staal - high end young player traded due to cap / change of direction
2 x top 5-10 pick level assets
He doesn’t currently have a nmc/ntc and he’s owed way less real dollars than his cap hit. He’ll be a well sought after trade chip if it comes to that

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
What has there been to be positive about the last 18 years? some pretty good regular seasons?
I was here the last time the Leafs had success in the playoffs, in the early 00's, and justloveleafs is correct. I would say 60% of this fanbase WANTS the team to fail, because they get more pleasure out of saying "I TOLD YOU SO" than they do watching the Leafs succeed. The Leafs went to the final four in 2002, but you wouldn't know it from some of the posts here at that time...

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Seattle doesn't have enough assets to make this work. Would require their first round pick (~5th ovr) + more (except they don't have anything else other than mediocre expansion draft players)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
100% incorrect
It will be Shanny's choice either he will be removed from office or he agrees to move out Dubie .. from pulse of our hockey buddy group of ex players who own/run different businesses, like 40 of us, in subscriber base who shell out every year for tickets and sponsorships it is almost certain board has heard us through our MLSE rep .. we are not satisfied with losing out in round 1 every year .. it will ratchet up again here if we lose out this year again .. much like JT got rid of Babs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad