Speculation: Marner or Nylander?

Who would you prefer to trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
JT is one of the biggest reasons this series went to 5 games...JT is not going anywhere...he's the captain and has a NMC.
Oh i realize he's not going anywhere but he's overpaid and contract will look worse every year

I will agree Tavares wasn't bad and he isn't cringe like marner who is a little boy getting manhandled at will

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
My target would be Marner for Ekblad. Big, young, #1 who is an excellent all around D, has put up big numbers despite minimal PP1 time. I think he is on the cusp of reaching another level. And he is signed for another 5 years. Cap savings would be almost 3.5M
That would be a good trade (albeit risky due to injury) but I don't see Florida moving him. Maybe take the assets from a Marner trade and see if LA will finally move Doughty.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Oh i realize he's not going anywhere but he's overpaid and contract will look worse every year

I will agree Tavares wasn't bad and he isn't cringe like marner who is a little boy getting manhandled at will

JT was a UFA, he earned that contract. If JT had someone like Rantanen on his wing, that line would be like gang busters with Hyman on the other side.

Reactions: MJK and HarryLime

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Marner.....17th in PPG scoring..... 7th highest cap hit in the NHL. = -10
Nylander...43rd in PPG scoring..... 61st highest cap hit in the NHL. = +18

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
This is why other fans hate us

Eichel is in a different stratosphere than marner. Eichel also actually cares and can lift a 20 pound weight

Eichel wants out, what Buffalo gonna get for him. Not many teams have guys like Marner available.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
yeah blow the core up coming back from a 5 month layoff with all the gyms closed. playing on the shittiest ice ever seen to mankind.

The talent does not need to be touched. Big 4 , Rielly and Hyman is fine.

We need a new goalie, a D to round out rielly and muzzin and overhaul the support players. There's no reason to have 10 mil tied up in Kerfoot, Johnsson and Kapanen. Washington entire bottom 6 cost 9-10 mil when they won the cup. Just find a bunch of 10 goal / 150 hits a year players and put in guys like Robertson to round it out.

Get rid of all 3 for all I care. Kapanen is anti-organization. This guy will never play a structured game. All he has is flashy legs and didn't even use them today. Couldn't care less to get the puck. AJ has no IQ and Kerfoot is meh. Fooled all of us in game 2 that he was good again.

Barrie Ceci Holl need to GTFO asap. Especially Holl. If Holl is in the top 4 next season there's no point watching. No team with Holl in their top 4 is winning anything.

NO big salary for Mik.

For the love of god do not touch Marner and Nylander. Even if we get no.1 pick theres no reason to trade them. Laf will be on ELC for 3 years.

Besides, if you're going to trade Marner for D, you don't trade him now. Let him rack up points next season first and increase his trade value to elite status again.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I dont think trading both makes sense as that will completely gut our offence (matthews will be by himself in 2 years with no one to play with).
If we trade both of them, there will be fwds coming back either via trade of UFA.

Reactions: MJK

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Marner brings things to the table, Greedlander steals cheques. He makes every line worse and he's soft. He held this organization ransom and then plays like that when it counts? f*** him. Go back to holding out, punk.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Marner brings things to the table, Greedlander steals cheques. He makes every line worse and he's soft. He held this organization ransom and then plays like that when it counts? f*** him. Go back to holding out, punk.
Lol are you kidding. Marner stealing way more money. Intangibles are 4th line players not generational contracts lol. Are you Darren Ferris?

Reactions: MJK

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Lol are you kidding. Marner stealing way more money. Intangibles are 4th line players not generational contracts lol. Are you Darren Ferris?

I'm not thrilled about Marner's contract but he's not near the joke Greedlander is. Anyone who even calls him by his real name is a sucker, guy is straight trash

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
TRAIKOS: It’s time the Leafs traded Nylander for defensive help | Canoe

Dubas spent the past year firing his head coach, trading Nazem Kadri and turning over almost half the roster. Now, following a best-of-five qualification loss that knocked the Leafs out of the playoffs before the playoffs even began, it’s time to put down the scalpel and get out the hatchet.

It’s time to break up the core. It’s time to trade Nylander.

Don’t trade him because he was a minus-2 in Game 5. Don’t trade him because he isn’t good enough or because he doesn’t care enough. Trade him because he doesn’t play the right position.

And the position we’re talking about is defence.

If this series taught us anything, it is that speed and skill and offensive creativity take you only so far. The Leafs have a core that includes Auston Matthews, John Tavares, Mitch Marner and Nylander. But they don’t have a Seth Jones or a Zach Werenski.

They’ll need one if they are going to win a playoff round.

That’s where Nylander comes in.

The only way to get a Seth Jones is by giving up something of value. Dubas is not going to trade Matthews or Marner or even Tavares. But Nylander might be expendable.

This isn’t a criticism of how the 24-year-old played this year. By his standards, this was a breakout year for Nylander. He finished in the top 15 with 31 goals season and was on pace for a career-best 71 points when the regular season was halted.

In the playoffs, he was better than he had ever been. He scored twice and picked up a pair of assists — half of those came in Game 4, where he kick-started the 3-0 comeback with Toronto’s first goal and a secondary assist that sent the game to overtime.

In Game 5, the coaching staff was so confident in his abilities that Nylander centered the second line with Zach Hyman and Kasperi Kapanen, while Matthews, Marner and Tavares joined forces on the top line.

It didn’t end up working out as planned.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Have no idea why Marner is winning. Marner's the better player and the Leafs can get exactly what they need by trading Nylander.

It's not about who's better. It's about value. Nylander at 6.9 brings better value to the table than Marner at 10.9. Once Nylander got a fair shake with Keefe he was (or close to) a PPG player. Nylander can score goals, but Marner can PK. Marner is the better playmaker, but is a couple extra points worth 4M more? I don't think so. Now if Marner was signed at say a fair 8M things get more interesting.

Reactions: KingPapi and MJK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad