Who would you prefer to trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
yeah no way you can get a marner at 4th overall

Not all drafts are the same lol. There is no talent like Marner available at 4th.

Marner in this draft based on his resume would be head to head vs Lafreniere.

Lafreniere on ELC >>>>> Marner at 11M though.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
He’s young just like Larkin and the pick they got isn’t going to help them any time soon. 4th in this draft isn’t a great place to be. You won’t get a Marner type player there.

I wouldn’t trade Marner for picks anyways unless we get Lafreniere.
He'd likely leave in UFA before Detroit is even a playoff team again

And this draft very much so has Marner-types up until 6-7 in Perfetti Rossi Raymond

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
If they get Laf (lol) then you immediately trade the one who nets a higher package.

If not, I don't think you can trade either. Probably begin removing the other wingers for assets to balance the team.

Reactions: Nineteen67

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Have no idea why Marner is winning. Marner's the better player and the Leafs can get exactly what they need by trading Nylander.
No one wants 11m for no playoff goals and to deal with that headache contract circus in 5 years.

Reactions: MJK

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think either is moved. Not yet. Barring having stars on ELCs, I believe a team's highest paid players should also be its best. If not, there's arguably been a notable error. It'd probably further help the decision to have a clear idea on hypothetical returns. I'd also consider that Keefe's idea of loading a line only involved one of these players. In an either/or situation, I'd opt to trade Nylander.

Last edited:

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
No one is going to trade their stud D man for either Marner or Nylander. So, with or without Laf, I say keep Marner and trade Nylander.

Marner is still a kid (mentally) and I think in the long run he will 'grow up' and be a consistent player.

Nylander contract and term will be very attractive for teams and can get us a solid top 4 d man.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He'd likely leave in UFA before Detroit is even a playoff team again

And this draft very much so has Marner-types up until 6-7 in Perfetti Rossi Raymond

Umm Marner types? Marner is a ~career PPG player. Even MacKinnon was a 60 point player for 5 years before he broke out.

I don’t even know if Lafreniere is going to have a Marner type career let alone the guys you mention.

Reactions: diceman934

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I think you guys should trade Marner. He’s a good player, but I think he’s overpaid. $6.9M for Nylander isn’t too bad. Trade Marner for a young dman, prospect and pick. I don’t think you can trade him one for one. Winning Lafreniere tomorrow would help a lot.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Gotta move on from Nylander. His contact is excellent and he is a hell of a player but try use that to get value. Mitch is a disappointment but he is a leaf for life and would sacrifice himself to block a shot.
That said Marner was a complete joke these 5 games, no intensity (like nylander). Changed my mind, both should go. Would trade them both for Brayden Point.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner represents a more dramatic cap reduction, but he has an ability to put up a ton of points than Nylander cannot. Marner has a higher ceiling but seems to be the worse athlete compared to Nylander. Marner tries to do too much in desperation, and Nylander seems too casual. Neither seem to be capable of making standard forechecking plays and can't play a well rounded game. Marner is the bigger villain to emerge from contract negotiations, but Nylander was the start of our troubles.

Neither seem to be those skilled, gritty playoff performers more successful teams need, but the last thing we need is for these two to have gone through such brutal growing pains just to blossom into playoff capable veterans for another franchise like Kessel and Bozak did and Kadri probably will.

So as satisfying as running them out of town now would be, I think we have to hold onto them for at least one more full season and playoff run. Even if we win the Lafreniere lottery. Also, Tavares needs to be closely monitored for decline in play.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You guys serious up in here? The big-4 aren't going anywhere as long as Dubas is here. They are his calling card. He is their buddy and he made sure they got paid. You'll see the secondary pieces of the team get shuffled around (your Johnssons, Kerfoots and Kapanens) but the big 4 won't go anywhere.

Really though, Marner needs to go. There is no way in hell you are getting 11 million of value from him in a postseason. Columbus just authored the book on making him useless. Cam Atkinson was superior to Marner for crying out loud.

He wasn't and never will be Patrick Kane. It's time to accept that already.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Based on the way he played against Columbus I voted for Marner.

However I would still be hesitant to do that because he's already scored 94 points for them and it would be great to see him get a full season with Sheldon Keefe from the first game of the season.

Third Degree Burns

Feb 12, 2019
Tavares was comfortably the second best player on this team behind Matthews. They both showed up. Can’t say that for Marner or Nylander. Both looked out of place, couldn’t generate much in traffic and just don’t seem ready to be able to take responsibility and play on their own line.
Agree. Dont really understand the Tavares hate. Yes he makes 11 million. There is a reason other teams were offering 13 million for him 2 summers ago. Trade the 11 million dollar winger with a muffin for a shot. CBJ really exposed marner for being too weak. Total perimeter player.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Agree. Dont really understand the Tavares hate. Yes he makes 11 million. There is a reason other teams were offering 13 million for him 2 summers ago. Trade the 11 million dollar winger with a muffin for a shot. CBJ really exposed marner for being too weak. Total perimeter player.

It was downright painful watching him get manhandled down low and on the boards this whole series. All too many times Matthews would fight through the checks of 2 or 3 players and get the puck to Marner only for him to get smoked in the corner and lose the puck.

Nylander had the better series unquestionably. Less TOI, yet he had the same points and 2 more goals and can actually make it around the boards with the puck (he's a lot physically stronger than Marner).

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Marner

Hes not worth 10.9 and he is built like a 13 year old teenager on a fortnite bender with doritos and monster

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It was downright painful watching him get manhandled down low and on the boards this whole series. All too many times Matthews would fight through the checks of 2 or 3 players and get the puck to Marner only for him to get smoked in the corner and lose the puck.

Nylander had the better series unquestionably. Less TOI, yet he had the same points and 2 more goals and can actually make it around the boards with the puck (he's a lot physically stronger than Marner).

Yeah I like Marner but when push comes to shove, he’s a goner. It might not happen next year but whenever they decide to make changes, he’s the guy you move.

I don’t even understand the Tavares hate. Are we watching the same game? Matthews and Tavares on their own line or on the same line are retrieving all the pucks, fighting in front of the net and getting chances. Yeah they didn’t go in this game but most of the chances we got were generated by those two. Eyes should tell you that and stats back that up.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would include not trading Tavares because he was just named captain and only had that role for 1 season with the Leafs.

Reactions: Third Degree Burns

Third Degree Burns

Feb 12, 2019

Cam Atkinson literally owned him along the boards all series. Can't believe Dufus turned us into a rebuilder in 2 seasons lol.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The problem is that they shot less than 2% in this series but no one wants to talk about that right now :popcorn:

Yeah. I’m hoping Tampa really opens the floodgates lol. Columbus got lucky as hell and we got goalied. No system out there on the planet can hold a team to 2% shooting on purpose. Hockey is more luck than skill.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
If they were both at 7 mill where they belong Marner of course. But at 11 Marner and his atrocious contract can GTFO.
I think that is exactly it. If marner wasnt so vastly overpaid then yeah it would be more debatable. With that said, we will need a 2nd line center in a couple of years (tavarws going to winger) as well so nylander has that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad