Speculation: Marner offer sheet

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
So how many players have the Canucks drafted in their 50 year history that would be better players than Marner?

Adding a 95 pts player to the lineup but we’re still a bottom ten team?

I would definitely consider an offer sheet for a player like Marner. He would complete the rebuilding of our top two lines. It’s a pipe dream though.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So how many players have the Canucks drafted in their 50 year history that would be better players than Marner?

Adding a 95 pts player to the lineup but we’re still a bottom ten team?

I would definitely consider an offer sheet for a player like Marner. He would complete the rebuilding of our top two lines. It’s a pipe dream though.
Does nothing for our joke of a blue line. I'd rather give up four 1sts for a #1D.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
TO isn't walking away from Marner...they'd just match the offer. But if they didn't, it would cost four first round draft picks (not lottery protected). Gulp!

What happens if, like every other Canuck in recent history, Marner starts developing an injury history? Then you've basically crippled your franchise for years.

If the Canucks wanted to 'offer-sheet' anyone on the Leafs, Kapanen would be a much more affordable target.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I did not say for us I’m saying in general he is worth 4 firsts.

In general most teams don't draft in the latter part of the first round and most teams will find themselves out of the playoffs soon if they don't get a player out of the first round for 4 straight years.

In a vacuum, Marner may be worth 4 firsts and while having elite players can be the difference between winning the Cup and not winning it, you need support players. Look at the Rangers. At one time they traded away 4 consecutive 1st round picks. Had they traded those picks for a Marner type player instead would they have won the Cup? Probably not. Would they have missed the playoffs this season? Probably yes.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
I’d do 12x7 without blinking. This kid is unreal and is easily worth 4 1sts.

That being said I think you have to higher than that for Toronto not to match and I think at that point the price of his contract would set a cap hell causing precedent.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If Podkolzin or Caulfield or Boldy or Byram aren't on the board at ten...threatening Toronto with a dollar below the 4 first round pick threshold isn't a terrible idea given how screwed up their cap situation is.

I'd prefer to discuss a trade in that case as if Babcock sticks around that means they aren't looking to rebuild. If Marner is looking for the door...then I think they'd prefer a trade.

Juolevi
Tanev
Baertschi/Sutter/Leivo/Pearson/Gaudette/Goldobin/any non-Boeser or Virtanen winger or Horvat or Pettersson center.
This year's first

Yes that's a crap offer for a 94 point (only 26 goals though if we're being real) forward. It's not bad compared to two 1sts which is what I view their alternative as.

Toronto can now resign Johnsson Kapanen and maybe Gardiner too. They keep Tavares Matthews Nylander Kadri Hyman Reilly Marleau Muzzin and even Brown. They add another top four D a D prospect and very inferior replacement winger (as Brown Johnsson Hyman and Kapanen kind of prove the Leafs can have nearly anyone in their top six score 20 plus goals).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If Podkolzin or Caulfield or Boldy or Byram aren't on the board at ten...threatening Toronto with a dollar below the 4 first round pick threshold isn't a terrible idea given how screwed up their cap situation is.

A dollar below 4 1sts is likely less that what Toronto is plan to spend anyway, they would absolutely laugh themselves silly while signing that. Don't forget that we couldn't offer more than 5 years since the contract is total/(years or 5 whichever is lower) ie $70m/7 years counts as $14m/y for compensation calculations.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Marner is easily worth 4 firsts. He drives any line and is good defensively. He even kills penalties lol. No injury history. With Marner we would be a playoff team .

Put him with Horvat

Pearson-Horvat-Marner

Leivo-Ep-Boeser

Pp1

Boeser-Horvat-Marner

Hughes-Ep

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sorry, but in this salary-cap world where having players on cheap entry-level contracts is critical to a team's success, NO player is worth four first round draft picks. That's the big reason why GM's don't bother with offer-sheets any more.

Reactions: Bubbles

Plot Monkey

Dec 31, 2017
I like Marner a lot, but no way would I give up 4 firsts for him. Having a prospect pipeline is just too important in the salary cap era. Marner would obviously improve the team in the short term, but long term improvement would likely stall without any good young impact players to add each year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad