Speculation: Marner offer sheet

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Wait the most interesting thing in this whole thread is the comment from the random leafs people claiming to know marner that Babcock could be fired.

If there’s any truth to that I hope whomever our gm is will dump Travis green and go after Babcock

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Wait the most interesting thing in this whole thread is the comment from the random leafs people claiming to know marner that Babcock could be fired.

If there’s any truth to that I hope whomever our gm is will dump Travis green and go after Babcock
Babcock seems like an awful coach.

E: on topic, I don’t think it’s a good idea to sign Marner to an offer sheet that wouldn’t immediately be matched by Toronto. A $13 million dollar contract for Marner means a $14 million dollar contract for Pettersson, and a $11+ million contract for Hughes.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Babcock seems like an awful coach.

E: on topic, I don’t think it’s a good idea to sign Marner to an offer sheet that wouldn’t immediately be matched by Toronto. A $13 million dollar contract for Marner means a $14 million dollar contract for Pettersson, and a $11+ million contract for Hughes.

No awful coaches are Travis green and willie d.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Based on what? Babcock played Matthews 16 minutes in game 7 (plus 2 minutes in garbage time when the game was already decided). That’s awful.

Almost 700 career wins; Stanley cup win; 3 finals appearances; iihf world championship win; World Cup win; 2 gold medals and he’s an awful coach????

And are you really asking why willie d and Travis green are bad coaches?

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Almost 700 career wins; Stanley cup win; 3 finals appearances; iihf world championship win; World Cup win; 2 gold medals and he’s an awful coach????

Explain why Green is a bad coach, you can’t group him with desjardins lmao.

You see the players on the teams he’s won with? A potato could win with them.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Isn’t that the same logic you used to say Babcock is a bad coach? Marners ice time?
You don’t hire Babcock because you think Green sucks. You hire the best candidate possible. Similar logic to clamouring for Gillis. “Mediocre” is not the optimal solution to this teams problems. And put me in the “Babcock sucks” camp. Dudes style has passed

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Anytime you have to potentially give up 4 1sts, let alone for a team that is on the border of being a lottery team, I think it's a huge mistake.

If we were on the edge of greatness and Marner would be a piece to put us over the top, maybe... but are we a Marner away from being a legit contender? Not without overhauling the defense.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
What are the chances the Canucks could land Marner with one of the following offer sheet offers.

10 million per year - 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd
Over 10.2ish - 4 1sts

Given that we will MOST likely not be a bottom 10 team next year and will almost certainly be a playoff team the year after and continue on an upward trajectory, would you consider making one of these offers to land him? I would not hesitate to offer 10 million per year to him and would be VERY tempted to offer in the 12-14 range and cough up the 4 1sts. The chances of the 4 firsts equaling his points totals given the likely chance they are mid to late round firsts are not good.

If you do not agree with my analysis of the Canucks likely-hood of moving up in the standings over the next 1-5 years kindly STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD. Keep this conversation to the Marner v picks analysis please and thank you.

Hugs. :)
What's that? .... uh... PLAYOFFS? Don't talk about playoffs..... you kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game.

Reactions: THE Green Man

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
a team like Philly who have the cap space and are in a better place to contend should be the ones offer sheeting Marner(or working out a trade given their abundance of prospects & picks)

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
The value simply isn't there in these massive offer sheets.

If you're looking to target a RFA I would say go for someone that would only require a 2nd round tenure. On the leafs that would be someone like Kapanen or Johnsson.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
People think Marner is worth 4 1st rounders? Ay Caramba! One player does not build a team...maybe McDavid but look at the Oilers today.

Also, I think people forget that Marner actually has to SIGN the offer sheet first. If anything, he'll just take the offer and show it to the Leafs and see if they would do better.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
How the hell is he not a fan of taveres. He’s the reason for marners production spike

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What are the chances the Canucks could land Marner with one of the following offer sheet offers.

10 million per year - 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd
Over 10.2ish - 4 1sts

Given that we will MOST likely not be a bottom 10 team next year and will almost certainly be a playoff team the year after and continue on an upward trajectory, would you consider making one of these offers to land him? I would not hesitate to offer 10 million per year to him and would be VERY tempted to offer in the 12-14 range and cough up the 4 1sts. The chances of the 4 firsts equaling his points totals given the likely chance they are mid to late round firsts are not good.

If you do not agree with my analysis of the Canucks likely-hood of moving up in the standings over the next 1-5 years kindly STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD. Keep this conversation to the Marner v picks analysis please and thank you.

Hugs. :)
$10m is an easy match for TO and so a complete non-starter.

$11m they probably match.

$12-14m they don't and hope to get a few top 10 picks from us then go spend the $14m on UFAs. Canucks could do the same, 4 1sts and $14m UFAs seems like a no brainer. Would you rather have 4 1sts + Erik Karlsson or would you rather have Marner?

Reactions: Katani Kalan

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Keep in mind the Oilers almost gave up 4 1sts for vanek. Oh and that would've included possibly the Taylor hall pick unless vanek was the difference maker. Not worth the risk.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Obviously babs is a better coach but if you gave Green the rosters Babcock has had I wouldn't be surprised if he matched those acolades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad