Dreger: Marner negotiations could be a "battle"

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
on one of my post I did about Tavares a bunch of them told me that could fit Tavares in with 5.5 to MArner and 5-6 to Nylander if my memory is right, and like 9.5 to Matthews

oh my lol... all those contracts are way off except maybe Nylander sorta... but then again if Marner wants Eichel money, then Nylander will be getting a crap load more than that.

This all may get pretty ugly

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
People also have to realize, Marner at the end of the day will stay in Toronto, and back-off slightly. He's already selling his face all over town in small endorsement deals, and that is something he can't pull off in another market. That should help the Leafs knock down the price.
Agents are not doing their job if they don't go for max value. I don't see players taking discounts in his situation.
Marner is a very good player and I think he should be in the 7mill range IMO.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
We're gonna find out fast how great of a negotiator Dubas is.
Marner & Matthew's agents have got to be licking their chops.

There is a chance we see Matthews get McDavid money & Marner get Draisaitl money

Reactions: PWJunior

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agents are not doing their job if they don't go for max value. I don't see players taking discounts in his situation.
Marner is a very good player and I think he should be in the 7mill range IMO.
I know that, but the team can hold that over his head knowing the difference in value. He isn't getting well paid Bulgova, Intact and Red Bull deals in other markets. The Leafs will be well informed on that stuff, and use it to argue back. Especially if they come in asking for Eichel money.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I just hope 30 ish million a year doesn't get tied up between Matthews, Marner and Nylander... the way things are going nowadays and all that, it could be possible

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I know that, but the team can hold that over his head knowing the difference in value. He isn't getting well paid Bulgova, Intact and Red Bull deals in other markets. The Leafs will be well informed on that stuff, and use it to argue back. Especially if they come in asking for Eichel money.
I don't think he will get Eichel money. Probably under Draistatl IMO.
Leafs will probably try to leverage the off ice income but at the end of the day the agent will not care. He will push for everything he can and his other clients will want to see the same.....as well as the NHLPA.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think he will get Eichel money. Probably under Draistatl IMO.
Leafs will probably try to leverage the off ice income but at the end of the day the agent will not care. He will push for everything he can and his other clients will want to see the same.....as well as the NHLPA.
Obviously, but it is about net-return at the end. Its also why taxes come to play. It could lead to an acrimonious negotiation, but an agent also wouldn't be doing his job if his client ends up making less at the end of the day because he loses all his off-the-ice deals playing in Carolina at a slightly higher salary.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
if he waits till next offseason to sign and has an even better season next year, itll get extremely ugly. But I don't blame these guys when they see how much others get paid.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
No reason to sign a year early for much less , if he outperforms Matthews next year it'll be interesting to see what happens

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Obviously, but it is about net-return at the end. Its also why taxes come to play. It could lead to an acrimonious negotiation, but an agent also wouldn't be doing his job if his client ends up making less at the end of the day because he loses all his off-the-ice deals playing in Carolina at a slightly higher salary.
Time will tell what the final amount will be. I want to see him resign with you guys. I want all Canadian teams to be a lot more competitive.
Hopefully he continues on his second half performance moving forward for you guys.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
People also have to realize, Marner at the end of the day will stay in Toronto, and back-off slightly. He's already selling his face all over town in small endorsement deals, and that is something he can't pull off in another market. That should help the Leafs knock down the price.

But what is slightly. Eichel makes 10 a year. So say he takes 8, you still have to sign Matthews who will make more then Eichel. And you guys have to sign nylander. It’s a lot of money tied up in 3 players

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
If he asked me for Eichel money I wouldn't even counteroffer, I'd call up JVR, get him re-signed, then start shopping Marner for a defenceman.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
this is a hot take getting blown out of proportion. Eichel & Draisatl aren't Marner's comps, Pastrnak and Ehlers are, at least in the eyes of an arbitrator unless Marner blows the doors off of this season with 90pts.

start with mid $6M's, adjust for cap inflation, maybe some good will, maybe add a little to buy the full 8 years.

I realize that you don't want to be at war with your best players, but you can't just throw more money than the market says they're worth at them either if you want to build a contender, and unless Marner just goes into negotiations with the mindset that he gets what he wants or he'll be disenfranchised then the comps are going to set the tone. Marner also seems like a very reasonable person from all indicators, Dreger's just baiting clicks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad