Speculation: Marner Mega-Thread: Part I

lawrence

May 19, 2012
$10,568,589 gets insta matched. Leafs arent losing a player of this calibre for that measly return because he wil be500k-1mil overpaid

it would take the four 1sts and a non playoff team offering it for them to consider not matching.
NYR, buffalo, vancouver etc. they type of team where ya know a couple of the picks will be top 10

The toughest position would be 10,568,589 per year for 4 years. Walk him right up to UFA, with no UFA years bought. That would be the deal that makes the Leafs think twice IMO.

I agree with this. For the Leafs not to match, the offersheet would need to be in the compensation range of 4 1sts.

Next season’s new offer sheet compensation has been set

the amount you guys proposed will get the leafs two 1st rounders a 2nd and a 3rd. not 4 first rounders. A dollar more will be 4 1st rounder.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
GMs are also aware of Toronto’s cap woes. No one is lining up to do Shanahan any favors. There is also the matter of Nylander’s contract. So far he isn’t earning it. Many players didn't Live up to their contract. GMs know this. HF board members know this. Results are all that matter and the day World’s or any of the other fun competitions matter to actual NHL results is the day a second moon pops out of the ocean.
Ah yes, the circling buzzards narrative that seemingly never plays out in old boy world.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Marner for Makar+4OA?
Absolutely no. I would’ve a hard time dealing Makar for Marner straight up. I know it sounds like some crazy overrating here but our needs are elsewhere right now we need our potential #1D more than #1RW sadly EJ isn’t getting any younger (looked terrible in the playoffs which is concerning) and Barrie well can be terrible sometimes. We also have to sign our winger Rantanen who will probably have a similar contract to Marner. At this point it would be better to just OS him and give the Leafs 4 mid or late 1st rnd picks which rarely happen while I also don’t believe it’s a good idea salary and future wise.

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Well good Dubas has a sense of humor that lets him laugh at himself
Or Dubas wouldn't trade a for sure 90-100 player for a young D man and a maybe with the draft pick. Leafs keep the for sure thing instead of trading him for Makar and a mystery box.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Or Dubas wouldn't trade a for sure 90-100 player for a young D man and a maybe with the draft pick. Leafs keep the for sure thing instead of trading him for Makar and a mystery box.
Really, Dubas would not trade for a top 5 pick in a good draft with lots of top end talent, and the young two way, cost controlled defenseman that is trending to #1 D quality sooner over later?

All in exchange for a headache, cap sucking winger who may well regress to under a point per game next year?

When Toronto’s biggest need is both defense and cap flexibility?

Hey, it’s easy to frame it the other way, too

Here’s the neat thing. You have Leafs fans that see 4 mid to late firsts as a better return than paying Marner certain amounts

That would never touch acquiring Makar and the 4th OA

That’s all I’m saying

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Really, Dubas would not trade for a top 5 pick in a good draft with lots of top end talent, and the young two way, cost controlled defenseman that is trending to #1 D quality sooner over later?

All in exchange for a headache, cap sucking winger who may well regress to under a point per game next year?

Here’s the neat thing. You have Leafs fans that see 4 mid to late firsts as a better return than paying Marner certain amounts

That’s all I’m saying
If that's your view on Marner then I don't know what to say

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
If that's your view on Marner then I don't know what to say
I could say the same about how you characterize Makar

What I said about Marner is not inaccurate. Neither was what you said.

My point is that you’re going out of your way to frame it in the best light for Marner and worst light for the return

I just flipped the script.

Like I already said, and expanded on

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I could say the same about how you characterize Makar

What I said about Marner is not inaccurate. Neither was what you said.

My point is that you’re going out if your way to frame it in the best light for Marner and worst light for the return

I just flipped the script.

Like I already said, and expanded on
I've seen what Marner can do and how he's improved over three NHL seasons. We haven't seen that much from Makar yet even though I think he's a great young player but who knows what he does in the future and like I said good draft or not its still a mystery box

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I've seen what Marner can do and how he's improved over three NHL seasons. We haven't seen that much from Makar yet even though I think he's a great young player but who knows what he does in the future and like I said good draft or not its still a mystery box
So your entire argument is to just repeat yourself over and over

*Sigh*

Well you’ve clearly decided on the conclusion before the ‘why’ on it

If you think up something to reply to any of the points I brought up, feel free to let me know

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
So your entire argument is to just repeat yourself over and over

*Sigh*

Well you’ve clearly decided on the conclusion before the ‘why’ on it

If you think up something to reply to any of the points I brought up, feel free to let me know
Don't need the draft picks. Just need to keep our superstar

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Same to you.....
Oh goodness, that’s literally all I did

And your response was to ignore the points and getting triggered by how I represented Marner. And even after I explained how you missed the point and ignored the others, you just repeated your original assertion.

Want me to just copy and paste my original reply? Sure...

That’s all I’m saying

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Oh goodness, that’s literally all I did

And your response was to ignore the points and getting triggered by how I represented Marner. And even after I explained how you missed the point and ignored the others, you just repeated your original assertion.

Want me to just copy and paste my original reply? Sure...

That’s all I’m saying
That's fine what other leafs fans said. It's not what I said. I gave you my opinion and if you need a safe space because I disagree with you so be it

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Oh the irony of this edit[/QUOTE]

Right. I disagree with you and I'm triggered but you disagree with me and it's "oh the irony".

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Oh the irony of this edit[/QUOTE

Right. I disagree with you and I'm triggered but you disagree with me and it's "oh the irony".
I imagine this might have made sense in your head.

Let me know when you want to actually talk about the topic instead of of just chanting your desired belief and whining when people don’t accept it as the end all be all (and you know, offering points against it that you have chosen to ignore)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Weird because so would Dubas.....

Neutral fan here, I would rather have maker and the 4th overall pick, as good as marner is, we also know his points total shot up because of Tavares.

Add to the fact, if someone offer sheets up the 10.5 million, leafs only get 2 1st round picks a 2nd and a 3rd at this point, dubas will be doing the opposite of laughing which is crying.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I imagine this might have made sense in your head.

Let me know when you want to actually talk about the topic instead of of just chanting your desires belief and whining when people don’t accept it as the end all be all
I'll let you know :facepalm:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What are you talking about? The only players that have to be moved are Zaitsev and Brown, as I mentioned. You said it couldn't be done by doing only that. There are no other creative trades, etc. I gave some suggestions of other things that could explore, but they could ice this roster under cap as is with just Brown and Zaitsev gone. View attachment 232247 Every other player is on the roster. There is still $1 million cap space. Look again.

Is the Phil Kessel retention in there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad