Speculation: Marner Mega-Thread: Part I

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
With Skinner getting 9 and some of the recent signings, he is fair value at 11, at 12.5 it's 1.5 prime in order to land him and I'd gladly give up 4 1sts for him
That's McDavid money and Marner isn't McDavid.

Leafs should take those 4 1st rounders, try to sign Karlsson and flip the picks into a high end mercenary.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
That's McDavid money and Marner isn't McDavid. Leafs should take those 4 1st rounders, sign Karlsson and flip the picks into a high end mercenary.

I don't care, I would pay a shit ton for a 90 point player that's in his early 20's

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Unless the compensation is 4 1sts, they are matching...or trading before an offersheet.

They can match. It just sets them up for a second difficult negotiation (or trade) at some point during the length of the contract. That would be a route a divisional rival might take.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
That is easier said than done considering his contract vs last year’s results. If you had another year to sign Marner you would benefit from a recovery season from Nylander but you don’t. The Leafs are in a bad place with no easy answer besides sell low on a handful of players soon.

Unlike HFers, most GMs can piece together the rarity of two 60+ point seasons by 21 years age and realize he missed a chunk of last season. They also probably saw him at the Worlds.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Look the Zaitsev doesn't get a 5 year contract with 4.5 of he was a free agent right now -

Leafs would have to eat some salary to make a move by why do that - Just keep him and try find another way to sort the cap problem.

Maybe, maybe not. Probably priced a little high but you also have to take into account a few things.

He is UFA aged. His contract holds for another 5 years and its % vs the cap goes down every year. There are 177 UFA aged d-men (NHL Numbers). 83 of those are UFA this year. 130/177 are UFA by end of next year.

There are 274 d men 26 and under. 18 make more than him. All told he sits tied for 65th highest paid d-man, though again is UFA and locked in so unlike many others, his hit % goes down every year for 5 more years. Being paid as a #3 so slightly high but I doubt the Leafs would eat much if any salary.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Except they haven't upgraded the team. They're trying to upgrade it and time will tell if they're even able to maintain it as is. Being unable to get what most TML fans would think is fair-value for Nylander only exacerbates the problem which is what I think @A Pointed Stick was getting at with his post.

If they got even a semi decent d-man, they upgrade. They already upgraded the forward position. They'd have to take quite a step back on the trade front to negate that and knowing NHL GMs, I doubt they take that far of a step. Heck even if Nylander was gone entirely with no return they've upgraded. That isn't a knock on Nylander, it just says they added Tavares with no asset cost.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
A riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma. In aggregate he's a massive positive influence on a team, but his bad is baaaad.

This playoff he was clearly playing well under 100% and probably should have been scratched.

All so true

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That's McDavid money and Marner isn't McDavid.

Leafs should take those 4 1st rounders, try to sign Karlsson and flip the picks into a high end mercenary.

McDavid money doesnt exist anymore

That was 2 years ago. The league finances change greatly in 2 years

Many players today if ufa or rfa could command 12.5M or more. It doesnt make them more valuable than McDavid - just supply and demand of current year with salaries continually on the rise

For the rest of the post i dont disagree. 4 1sts is a lot and definitely worth considering if an offer sheet ends up happening. Depends on amount

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Maybe, maybe not. Probably priced a little high but you also have to take into account a few things.

He is UFA aged. His contract holds for another 5 years and its % vs the cap goes down every year. There are 177 UFA aged d-men (NHL Numbers). 83 of those are UFA this year. 130/177 are UFA by end of next year.

There are 274 d men 26 and under. 18 make more than him. All told he sits tied for 65th highest paid d-man, though again is UFA and locked in so unlike many others, his hit % goes down every year for 5 more years. Being paid as a #3 so slightly high but I doubt the Leafs would eat much if any salary.

I guess we'll find out since he just asked to be traded.

I can't see how Leafs don't take salary back and now have 5 blueline spots to fill.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
The Leafs would be absolutely stupid not to take the 4 1st round picks and drive him to the airport if someone offers him that.

For shitz and giggles

Let’s look at the islanders offering that to marner

They lose 4 firsts but those first will all be in the late 20’s. not one of those firsts would ever become as good as marner. Maybe one of them actually makes it to the NHL

Marner would instantly make the islanders cup contenders
And be their best player.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
For ****z and giggles

They lose 4 firsts but those first will all be in the late 20’s. not one of those firsts would ever become as good as marner. Maybe one of them actually makes it to the NHL

I admire your confidence.

Reactions: Rob Brown

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Unlike HFers, most GMs can piece together the rarity of two 60+ point seasons by 21 years age and realize he missed a chunk of last season. They also probably saw him at the Worlds.
GMs are also aware of Toronto’s cap woes. No one is lining up to do Shanahan any favors. There is also the matter of Nylander’s contract. So far he isn’t earning it. Many players didn't Live up to their contract. GMs know this. HF board members know this. Results are all that matter and the day World’s or any of the other fun competitions matter to actual NHL results is the day a second moon pops out of the ocean.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
For ****z and giggles

I agree but it doesn’t have to be the Islanders. It is any team already making the playoffs. If you think your next 4 1sts are in the 20s why not go for it?

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
By that same token...just looking at the playoffs....what is Gardiner?

Gardnier is what he is, great advanced stats over his career, can play top four. Great when he's great, bad when he's bad. Needs a fresh start. I fully expect once he pulls on a different jersey he will be universally loved around here

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gardnier is what he is, great advanced stats over his career, can play top four. Great when he's great, bad when he's bad. Needs a fresh start. I fully expect once he pulls on a different jersey he will be universally loved around here
Not if he keeps looking like ASS in important games.

Personally, I think he does have lots of games where he looks great...then does 1-2 just awful decisions that kills the games.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Not if he keeps looking like ASS in important games.

Personally, I think he does have lots of games where he looks great...then does 1-2 just awful decisions that kills the games.

I'll say this, if he was willing to take four mil at three years I'd put up with the warts, he won't be worth what he gets in term and dollars July 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00