Proposal: Marner LiLjegren for OEL

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
shut it down.

leafs arent giving up a 61pt rookie and the best D prospect they have had since Rielly for a year and a half of OEL

A 47 points (currently on pace, at 1/3 of the season done) sophomore though makes it more palatable.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think the only way OEL ends up a Leaf is through free agency... Leafs brass won't want to give up what it would take for a year and a half of guanteed OEL. Don't think they would gamble on a handshake deal for a contract that would need to be signed in 2 summers

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is actually a fair deal, if the Leafs have a reasonable expectation that OEL will re-sign with them. OEL provides a ton of offense, so losing Marner won't be a big deal. Still not sure that they don't need another type of dman, though.

This is a bad deal for ARI, unless they know they can't resign OEL.

Young, elite #1 Dmen almost never are available.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
can they even afford to pay OEL and build a good team around him?
Easily. Over $22 M coming off books between now and when an extension kicks in and a system full of cheap young talent behind to fill spots of expiring contracts. OEL makes $7M his final year which means an actual $ raise will be minimally disruptive.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Too much from Toronto. I like OEL but I wouldn't trade Marner at this time when his value is a lower, and Liljegren.

I've always had the belief that the Stanley Cup can be won without a #1D and the Pens proved it last year. I'd rather let Marner and Liljegren develop.

It does help when your top 2C’s are superstars.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
This is actually a fair deal, if the Leafs have a reasonable expectation that OEL will re-sign with them. OEL provides a ton of offense, so losing Marner won't be a big deal. Still not sure that they don't need another type of dman, though.

Not really, I've spoken to Rangers fans and most of them are fine with 2 1sts and Lil for McDonaugh.

The difference between McD and OEL is not Marner, especially an unsigned OEL, maybe OEL at 6.75 million.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017

This.
And OEL is not available according to everyone in Arizona. Leafs along with every other team wanting him will have to make an over payment. Chayka isnt an idiot and is not going to trade the 2nd highest goal scoring defensiveman over the past 4 years unless its a decent haul coming back.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I think the only way OEL ends up a Leaf is through free agency... Leafs brass won't want to give up what it would take for a year and a half of guanteed OEL. Don't think they would gamble on a handshake deal for a contract that would need to be signed in 2 summers
I think he can be signed this summer

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I dont think OEL goes to the leafs , the islanders make the most sense, they have the assets and the spot , Im not saying leafs dont have the assets, but the ld side for the leafs is stacked rn with the likes of reilly and such , islanders best ld is leddy who can slot down
Spot? Sure. Assets? I don't think so. Not ones they'd be willing to part with anyway.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
Not interested in shipping Lil anything.

After we got Mathews, there was talk of tanking to get liljegren, fortunately, he got mono and dropped.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
It’s makes zero sense for the Leafs to do from a cap/contract perspective. Marner and Lily as RFAs > OEL as a UFA

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It's hilarious how overrated OEL is just because people want to virtue signal their hockey knowledge and appreciation of "underrated" players in sunbelt markets.

If he hits FA and signs with a higher profile team his stock is going to nosedive just like Yandle and Bouwmeester once people actually get to watch him perform.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's hilarious how overrated OEL is just because people want to virtue signal their hockey knowledge and appreciation of "underrated" players in sunbelt markets.

If he hits FA and signs with a higher profile team his stock is going to nosedive just like Yandle and Bouwmeester once people actually get to watch him perform.
Shea Weber was never any good either. It's just that nobody watched Nashville. Victor Hedman? He's crap. Don't even get me started on that Sergei Zubov clown. Tempo Numminen was never any good. Niedermayer and Pronger in Anaheim were a couple of overrated bums.

Reactions: SniperHF

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Shea Weber was never any good either. It's just that nobody watched Nashville. Victor Hedman? He's crap. Don't even get me started on that Sergei Zubov clown. Tempo Numminen was never any good. Niedermayer and Pronger in Anaheim were a couple of overrated bums.

All of them were/are significantly better than OEL at least during their good years. No idea why you're so bitter and passive aggressive about it. Phoenix has underrated players, OEL just isn't remotely one of them. He's a Klefbom/Carlson tier player that people think is top 5 thanks to word of mouth and nothing more

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ho-sang, dal colle , Nelson , mayfield, hickey , beauvillar

I won't go as far as rt and say "meh" but given AZ 's depth of top prospects and young players do you see many of these players as better pieces than what they already have. Dal Colle for one has struggled as a pro and has what 2 goals in the A? Personally I'm not a fan of Ho Sang. I found him to be a puck hog in junior (sorry individualistic player) who had zero chemistry with Perlini (a player who Az is building around).

I don't mean to single out the Isles either. I just don't think AZ would solely be interested in an entirely futures deal unless the assets involved truly addressed a long term need.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
All of them were/are significantly better than OEL at least during their good years. No idea why you're so bitter and passive aggressive about it. Phoenix has underrated players, OEL just isn't remotely one of them. He's a Klefbom/Carlson tier player that people think is top 5 thanks to word of mouth and nothing more

Passive aggressive? That's aggressive aggressive smart guy. I was saying your point is idiotic and completely without any merit, based on nothing. The idea that because you don't watch any hockey played by "sunbelt teams", it must mean nobody else does either is completely asinine. The concept of his ability being known only as word of mouth is utterly absurd and proves only one thing; you don't watch him play and you have no idea what you're talking about. The fact that you seem to still have a strong opinion despite freely admitting this, speaks volumes about the worth of your commentary in general.

Hope that wasn't too passive for you.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
If the leafs want him that bad they can just wait a year and sign him as a UFA. Keep their star player and top prospect. If OEL gets traded he'll return a good package but GM's will know he's likely to bolt from zona as a UFA if they are considering trading him so Chayka doesn't have much leverage despite the fact that he is a top 5 GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad