Proposal: Marner LiLjegren for OEL

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If the leafs want him that bad they can just wait a year and sign him as a UFA. Keep their star player and top prospect. If OEL gets traded he'll return a good package but GM's will know he's likely to bolt from zona as a UFA if they are considering trading him so Chayka doesn't have much leverage despite the fact that he is a top 5 GM.

Curious what Leaf fans think about a 7 year deal at $10M per on average. How does that fit into future cap issues or will Leafs need to deal salary elsewhere to accommodate?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Passive aggressive? That's aggressive aggressive smart guy. I was saying your point is idiotic and completely without any merit, based on nothing. The idea that because you don't watch any hockey played by "sunbelt teams", it must mean nobody else does either is completely asinine. The concept of his ability being known only as word of mouth is utterly absurd and proves only one thing; you don't watch him play and you have no idea what you're talking about. The fact that you seem to still have a strong opinion despite freely admitting this, speaks volumes about the worth of your commentary in general.

Hope that wasn't too passive for you.

I watch plenty of hockey played by Sunbelt teams, usually whenever my team plays the Yotes I hope my best players go out against OEL because more often than not they're guaranteed a goal. He's good on the PP much like Yandle but not nearly as good at even strength as people make him out to be. It's crystal clear that his popularity on hf is buoyed by confirmation bias of him being a sleek skating Swedish Lidstrom type after he had a couple excellent seasons. It is right up there with Shea Weber's Canadian Man Mountain stereotype. Remember Weber, he had 2 strong years and hf ran away with him being this amazing physical all around Pronger like defenseman overlooking his limitations. Nashville fans had to go repeatedly point out that Suter was better than Weber but still couldn't convince the rest of hf because the confirmation bias was so strong. Now he's been traded for Subban after a brutal playoffs and it's obvious he desperately needs a puck mover by his side to be effective.

Anyway you seem to have a lot of anger issues, hope you get the help you need. Though I admit it was funny watching you blame everything on Dave Tippett nonstop for 3 years and now the Tippett free Yotes after a summer of win now acquisitions are worse than ever.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It's hilarious how overrated OEL is just because people want to virtue signal their hockey knowledge and appreciation of "underrated" players in sunbelt markets.

If he hits FA and signs with a higher profile team his stock is going to nosedive just like Yandle and Bouwmeester once people actually get to watch him perform.
Ya that over-rated D- OEL only has 2 more pts than that under-rated F- Marner.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yea but then you realize he has almost the same amount of points as he had at this time last year and so saying he's 61 point player is just as accurate. :teach:

Nice try.

1. Just because you say that in 16/17 he increased his production, there's no whatsoever guarantee that he will increase his production in 17/18 (who knows, it might even get worse). The only sure thing is that up to now he is on pace for 47 points (math doesn't lie).

AND

2. That "almost the same amount of points as he had at this time last year" isn't exactly true. Last year at this time (= with the same amount of games played), he had 20 points in 28 games (not 16) and that's
A) 25% more points over 16, that's quite significant;
B) A pace of 59 points (quite a bit more than 47...), which is close to where he ended up that year (=61 points).

:teach: woof woof.

Last edited:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nice try.

1. Just because you say that in 16/17 he increased his production, there's no whatsoever guarantee that he will increase his production in 17/18 (who knows, it might even get worse). The only sure thing is that up to now he is on pace for 47 points (math doesn't lie).

AND

2. That "almost the same amount of points as he had at this time last year" isn't exactly true. Last year at this time (= with the same amount of games played), he had 20 points in 28 games (not 16) and that's
A) 25% more points over 16, that's quite significant;
B) A pace of 59 points (quite a bit more than 47...), which is close to where he ended up that year (=61 points).

:teach: woof woof.

Umm...pace is not a sure thing. It literally fluctuates every game. But yeah, it's fun to act cocky when your opportunistic in getting your shots in during a cold streak. Let's just hope you'll stick around later in the season.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Umm...pace is not a sure thing. It literally fluctuates every game. But yeah, it's fun to act cocky when your opportunistic in getting your shots in during a cold streak. Let's just hope you'll stick around later in the season.
Pace is as solid as gold in comparison to "dude did better later in the year last season, so duh 47 points pace really means 61", which is what you seem to infer here. :)

Also... Interesting to see that you jettisoned your theory of "well, last year at this point he had almost the same points, so all is well" quite quickly. :D

Not getting any shot in: just pointing out that it's rather unfortunate to value (trade wise) Marner at last year's performance because this year he is doing worse. I wonder if Marner at this point was at 90 points pace, if he would have still been described as "a 61 points rookie" by you fellas...

Reactions: Yasuo and draft day

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
shut it down.

leafs arent giving up a 61pt rookie and the best D prospect they have had since Rielly for a year and a half of OEL

Very legit concern. I could see Toronto giving up one of those pieces, but not both for OEL - at least not without some guarantee that he's a long term option.

I think at this point, no one is really going to take the risk and pony up the assets that are "fair value", given the term he has left. Even Ottawa didn't give up the same sort of assets that fans would want for OEL for Duchene. The biggest piece was Turris and odds were that Ottawa wasn't going to be able to sign him.

Reactions: firstemperor

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Pace is as solid as gold in comparison to "dude did better later in the year last season, so duh 47 points pace really means 61", which is what you seem to infer here. :)

Also... Interesting to see that you jettisoned your theory of "well, last year at this point he had almost the same points, so all is well" quite quickly. :D

Not getting any shot in: just pointing out that it's rather unfortunate to value (trade wise) Marner at last year's performance because this year he is doing worse. I wonder if Marner at this point was at 90 points pace, if he would have still been described as "a 61 points rookie" by you fellas...

Last year he did have almost the same amount of points. It was a 4 point difference. In my opinion, it's close enough. He could easily have a 3 point gm and then all is well in the world.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
ROFL. So this is basically a thread where we are to be convinced Marner is garbage so we will trade him.

How about no? Love OEL, great player but the price would be too high. In the next two years OEL, Doughty and Karlsson all come on the market. We should keep our assets and hope we can sign one of them.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Neutral fan.....seems like a fair trade to me...Matthews/Nylander/OEL/Andersson...Now we're talking..I would say that that core would be closer to getting Toronto a SC cup,than Marner and Liljegren (who may or may not hit his ceiling).

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Not enough from the Leafs.

Not sure if serious.

The only reason Arizona would be moving OEL is because they realize he doesn't want to be apart of their team. And in that case, this would be one of, if not the best, offers they would receive.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Last year he did have almost the same amount of points. It was a 4 point difference. In my opinion, it's close enough. He could easily have a 3 point gm and then all is well in the world.
16 points / 28 games -> 47 points pace
20 points / 28 games -> 59 points pace
16 points + 25% = 20 points. A 25% difference is important.
47 points means sophomore slump, 59 points means pretty much confirming last year totals (=61). Not quite the same.

By the way, sure: if Marner had put up more points (the "3 points in 1 game = all is well" argument of yours), things would have been different. Putting up points does that. But he hasn't (to the tune of what he did last year).

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
OEL is exact player leafs should target.

Realistic trade would have to involve Matthews..wonder if Mathews and Liljegren for OEL and Strome.

Great hockey trade for both team Matthews would love to play at home. Leafs get best player in deal, and add Strome

LOL. Uh, no. Arizona would be getting the best player in that deal, and that deal would NEVER happen, outside of any fantasy realms are lurking in the minds of video game fans.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Curious what Leaf fans think about a 7 year deal at $10M per on average. How does that fit into future cap issues or will Leafs need to deal salary elsewhere to accommodate?
As long as you have the 3 main positions filled. Matthews. 1D and Andersen filledyou worry about everything else after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad