Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
At the end of the day, if you believe marner deserves to be paid the highest on the team or not.
We only have so much money left. Does he want to play in Toronto or not? Is playing on the leafs worth 1 mill less?

It is up to Marner now. We have 10 mill here for Marner. Do you want to play here for that money or do you want to go to a crappy team to get that extra 1.5 mill?

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Just heard them say on Hockey Buzz that a team could offer Marner a 4 year deal to screw the Leafs and it makes me wonder if Marner is holding out for a 4 year deal to be a UFA at 26.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Just heard them say on Hockey Buzz that a team could offer Marner a 4 year deal to screw the Leafs and it makes me wonder if Marner is holding out for a 4 year deal to be a UFA at 26.

4 year deal at what AAV? Marner's got to sign it.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I hope Dubas waits out Marner the way he waited out Nylander.

People like Burke say Dubas caved on Nylander but he waited him down to the last minutes over months. Willie's people had to call to get the negotiation going again and get it done. He got him off of 8 million and to under 7 in the end. Which after the hysteria died down and other contracts got sighed is clearly looking pretty good with respect to where the market is right now for signings.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
4 year deal at what AAV? Marner's got to sign it.
Something reasonable. Maybe just over or just under 9 mil. Point is he could be forcing our hand to get to UFA as early as possible for the BIG pay day, for all we know he told any team that called that it's a four year deal or don't even bother.

If he keeps putting up 90+ points he could get close to $85 million, maybe even $90 million, over seven years when he's 26 if the cap gets close to $90 mil.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Something reasonable. Maybe just over or just under 9 mil. Point is he could be forcing our hand to get to UFA as early as possible, for all we know he told any team that called that it's a four year deal or don't even bother.

Teams do offersheets to improve their own team, not to screw another team...Leafs would match at around $9 million per...I don't see Marner signing that though because he wants more money, unless he wants to screw the Leafs and get his butt traded out of town.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I still think this will end in a reasonable compromise between the two sides.

But if Marner were to do something as passive aggressive as sign a 4 year deal, theres no way hed finish that contract with the Leafs.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
People read hockey buzz? Isn't that Eklund's site?

Reactions: ACC1224

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I still think this will end in a reasonable compromise between the two sides.

But if Marner were to do something as passive aggressive as sign a 4 year deal, theres no way hed finish that contract with the Leafs.
Hot take or do you have a source?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If anything, I think Aho's offer sheet makes me even less likely to believe the possibility of an offer sheet on Marner.

Montreal, with cap space, wouldn't even entertain the idea of trading 2 1sts for Aho. It's very unlikely a team is going to be giving up 4 1sts for Marner. It shows how much more GM's value their first round picks than the fans here. If MB went 10.5M X 5, there's a chance that Carolina doesn't match but he was unwilling to part with two 1st round picks and give that salary.

Marner is two steps above that. To pry him from the Leafs it will likely take four 1st round picks & 11M+. If I'm Dubas, I now hold steadfast and wait for the other RFA's to sign. If Aho just set the market, Marner should not be getting over 10M.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
If anything, I think Aho's offer sheet makes me even less likely to believe the possibility of an offer sheet on Marner.

Montreal, with cap space, wouldn't even entertain the idea of trading 2 1sts for Aho. It's very unlikely a team is going to be giving up 4 1sts for Marner. It shows how much more GM's value their first round picks than the fans here. If MB went 10.5M X 5, there's a chance that Carolina doesn't match but he was unwilling to part with two 1st round picks and give that salary.

Marner is two steps above that. To pry him from the Leafs it will likely take four 1st round picks & 11M+. If I'm Dubas, I now hold steadfast and wait for the other RFA's to sign. If Aho just set the market, Marner should not be getting over 10M.
Agree, the recent RFA signings are working against Marner

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
At the end of the day, if you believe marner deserves to be paid the highest on the team or not.
We only have so much money left. Does he want to play in Toronto or not? Is playing on the leafs worth 1 mill less?

It is up to Marner now. We have 10 mill here for Marner. Do you want to play here for that money or do you want to go to a crappy team to get that extra 1.5 mill?

See here's the thing -- I don't think Marner can get $11m regardless of where he signs -- and certainly not on a 5 year deal.

Look at Aho -- who may be a slightly inferior player, but who is a centre. Montreal paused when it required multiple 1st round picks while getting him for $8.5m for 5 years. Sure, you could successfully argue that Marner at $9m for 5 years (1-1-2-3) compensation makes sense, but anything really beyond that doesn't really make much sense in the context of Aho.

If you look around the league, most teams look to avoid the situation the Leafs are in with Marner pointing at Matthews deal. They don't want to set a precedent on their team for a 22 year old winger at $10m+.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
At this point it's clear he's not getting the Matthews deal that Ferris has been trying to secure.

I think a 3 year contract is probably the best option to save face from the Marner camp. Gives him the chance to get paid again first and potentially surpass Matthews at that point, depending on the cap and other factors.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
At this point it's clear he's not getting the Matthews deal that Ferris has been trying to secure.

I think a 3 year contract is probably the best option to save face from the Marner camp. Gives him the chance to get paid again first and potentially surpass Matthews at that point, depending on the cap and other factors.
There will be zero trust that there will be a change of outcome after 3 years. Im guessing that the minimum term will be 4 and he walks into UFA.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
It’s time to employ the Lower Offer Ever Day method. And to speed things along, we go in increments of a million.

Mitch will be a league minimum player by the end next week.

Which based on his character, is more than he deserves.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I have this really sinking feeling that the Devils may try and OS Mitch. No idea if Mitch would sign it, but I think they could be interested.

Pierre McGuire on radio, again, today saying the Leafs should be careful. And I know for sure that Pierre is VERY tight with Ray Shero. We can connect those dots a bit... Devils have ample cap space, Shero's comments this summer about tired of GMs playing nice, Devils with lots of draft pick currency and have stock piled picks/#1's overalls recently.

Not saying for sure Marner would sign it, but I think the threat is certainly there.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There will be zero trust that there will be a change of outcome after 3 years. Im guessing that the minimum term will be 4 and he walks into UFA.

Nor should there be. Marner isn't worth his rumored ask - and I say that as someone who desperately wants to see him re-signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad