Post-Game Talk: Marner Baby! That's The Andersen We Want! Leafs Win!

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
the point is that even the top teams have dmen of Polak calibre. or worse.

the fact that he's not good enough to make our top 6, but is on most other teams, tells you that our D is pretty good.

Disagree. His style of play makes him a third pairing D. Just because our third pairing D could bump another teams third pairing D doesn't mean our D as a whole are good.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
After Rielly/Zaitzev/Gardiner our D aren't very good, I believe they're collectively a bottom 5 D in the league quite easily, probably even worse.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
It's good to see JVR and Bozak finally realizing that they need their sticks down on the ice all the time and be ready to release a shot, coz Marner is gonna find them no matter what. They mash very well together and I think that line is good enough. They sure took some time to adapt to Marner's game but they are ready for Marner.

As we all saw JVR flubbed so many passes in the beginning of the season as he always had his stick up and tried to knock the puck down before releasing a shot but now that he realizes that he gets fed tape to tape passes both him and Bozak have their stick down on the ice all the time.

I always believed Marner was ready for the team but team wasn't ready for him as he has a unique skill set and posses a ridiculous IQ as well as vision. Now it's starting to look like they are getting more and more comfortable with him. Talent like Marner is just very rare.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
After Rielly/Zaitzev/Gardiner our D aren't very good, I believe they're collectively a bottom 5 D in the league quite easily, probably even worse.

At least we have these 3. We have a couple years to draft develop, draft, sign, or trade some support for those 3. Carrick looks like a good one too.

Reilly ________
Gardiner Zaitsev
_________ Carrick
Marincin

Sign Burns in UFA

Draft Liljegren or Foote etc.

Develop Dermott Corrado Neilsen Greenaway Loov Valiev

Trade for a guy like Hamonic or Trouba.

We have a lot of potential options. Just got to make moves strategically.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
carrick and marincin are better than most teams have as #4/5 dmen.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It's good to see JVR and Bozak finally realizing that they need their sticks down on the ice all the time and be ready to release a shot, coz Marner is gonna find them no matter what. They mash very well together and I think that line is good enough. They sure took some time to adapt to Marner's game but they are ready for Marner.

As we all saw JVR flubbed so many passes in the beginning of the season as he always had his stick up and tried to knock the puck down before releasing a shot but now that he realizes that he gets fed tape to tape passes both him and Bozak have their stick down on the ice all the time.

I always believed Marner was ready for the team but team wasn't ready for him as he has a unique skill set and posses a ridiculous IQ as well as vision. Now it's starting to look like they are getting more and more comfortable with him. Talent like Marner is just very rare.

Here's the thing though, we've seen this before. JVR-Bozak can be very streaky players. It's good that they had an excellent game but I wouldn't want to see this line stick together in the future just because of the fact 2/3 of the line becomes useless when they're not on their streaky games.

We won last game because Bozak's line played well in both ends last game, they've been hurting the team before this game (aside from Marner).

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Here's the thing though, we've seen this before. JVR-Bozak can be very streaky players. It's good that they had an excellent game but I wouldn't want to see this line stick together in the future just because of the fact 2/3 of the line becomes useless when they're not on their streaky games.

We won last game because Bozak's line played well in both ends last game, they've been hurting the team before this game (aside from Marner).

Then again Marner is like a diesel engine, it takes 10 some games for him to get going after that he becomes unstoppable force. Looks like he is starting to get hot here.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

I disagree that theyve been hurting this team, and that any part of the line has been any more exceptional or terrible than the others. Marner has more than had his share of stinkers this season. Bozak and JVR look like they always have. .6-.7 ppg forwards who are suspect in their own ends.

The other top two lines have also both had their share of ups and complete stinkers. For a shutdown line, our shutdown line has looked pretty permeable.

I get that we're all excited about tbe young guys but lets not pretend like theyve been out of this world untouchable.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I disagree that theyve been hurting this team, and that any part of the line has been any more exceptional or terrible than the others. Marner has more than had his share of stinkers this season. Bozak and JVR look like they always have. .6-.7 ppg forwards who are suspect in their own ends.

The other top two lines have also both had their share of ups and complete stinkers. For a shutdown line, our shutdown line has looked pretty permeable.

I get that we're all excited about tbe young guys but lets not pretend like theyve been out of this world untouchable.
The big 3 have been the best players over the first 7 games and it's not close.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
The big 3 have been the best players over the first 7 games and it's not close.

Without those 3 guys, the rest of this outfit would probably manage to finish 31st.
I like what Hyman brings a lot but he's not first line material. An assist on Matthews' first goal and no points since? Come on Babs, get Mitch up there, you know you want to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad