Post-Game Talk: Marner Baby! That's The Andersen We Want! Leafs Win!

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Our goalie isn't playing his best, but our D are being dumb at times and it's making Andersens numbers worse than they should be. Andersen needs to practice high glove because that's looking like an early weakness. Our D though are making dumb pinches and reads and it's costing us and going to continue to cost us. That Marincin read yesterday was just an example where he left Barkov wide open and almost scored because of it.

Edit: Our forwards also gotta be aware when our D pinches or joins the rush and have their backs and cover for them.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
Didn't the Sharks make it to the SCF with Polak getting regular ice time on a nightly basis, sometimes even top 4 ice time?

I can't recall deployment for all 4 rounds. But the Sharks were able to make it to the finals inspite of Polak not because of him. He had no points in 24 games and was awful in the finals. A disproportionate amount of goals against were scored when he was on the ice that series. He was terrible.

He was completely ineffective, stifled all offensive transitions and was a total liability in his own end. The Pens were obviously the better team but maybe the Sharks stick around a little longer in that series if they had somebody competent in his place.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I can't recall deployment for all 4 rounds. But the Sharks were able to make it to the finals inspite of Polak not because of him. He had no points in 24 games and was awful in the finals. A disproportionate amount of goals against were scored when he was on the ice that series. He was terrible.

He was completely ineffective, stifled all offensive transitions and was a total liability in his own end. The Pens were obviously the better team but maybe the Sharks stick around a little longer in that series if they had somebody competent in his place.

Its not like the Sharks didn't have other options on D in their system. In spite of? Ridiculous. Not every player that is on the team needs to drive possession.

Polak obviously possesses enough hockey skills for his teammates and coach to appreciate.

He's useful in ways not related to CORSI and CORSI isn't where the standard of a useful hockey player begins and ends.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Its not like the Sharks didn't have other options on D in their system. In spite of? Ridiculous. Not every player that is on the team needs to drive possession.

Polak obviously possesses enough hockey skills for his teammates and coach to appreciate.

He's useful in ways not related to CORSI and CORSI isn't where the standard of a useful hockey player begins and ends.

You didn't need Corsi or whatever statistic to know that Polak was a tire fire for the Sharks. He was on the ice for a ton of goals against and was ineffective.

Just because a coach plays you, doesn't mean you're not a bad player. Even one of the best is proned to playing bad players over better/younger ones.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
They didn't have much options, which is why they overpaid us for him. DeMelo is a good young puck mover but the coach wasn't gonna send a rookie with no playoff experience over a vet.

I didn't say anything about Corsi because I'm not even all that well versed with it. Just by the eye test you could see he was out of his league. Mike Kostka used to get prime minutes but that fact didn't make him a 1st pairing defender.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Polak cost them a game or two during the final. He couldn't keep up to Pits.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the point is that even the top teams have dmen of Polak calibre. or worse.

the fact that he's not good enough to make our top 6, but is on most other teams, tells you that our D is pretty good.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
You didn't need Corsi or whatever statistic to know that Polak was a tire fire for the Sharks. He was on the ice for a ton of goals against and was ineffective.

Just because a coach plays you, doesn't mean you're not a bad player. Even one of the best is proned to playing bad players over better/younger ones.

Guess its the heart and soul leadership qualities then. Polak's job is to take care of the players in front of our net, not put up points.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I find it so weird, I can't comprehend it at all.

Most of them were at one point Leafs fans. Over the years of suck, they became very negative. Now they're basically haters, they just don't realize it and still refer to themselves as fans.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
So true. It seems people have either backed Kadri or Bozak and because of that you are not allowed to celebrate when one or the other does well. It's like they are not even on the same team.

Bozak was good tonight. Knack for the puck and being in the right place.

Just so people know you can like 1 player more than another but still cheer both of them on....

I personally like both however i tend to come off as a Kadri hater. I just honestly feel that some severely overrate his abilities while severely underrating anything Bozak does.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I personally like both however i tend to come off as a Kadri hater. I just honestly feel that some severely overrate his abilities while severely underrating anything Bozak does.

Kadri and Bozak debates are thing of the past.

I think we can leave them in the dark ages where they belong.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I think it's clear by now that Kadri is the significantly better player.

Career

Kadri 1.8p60, 1.4p160, 3.5ppp60, 2.7ppp160, +3.2cfrel, +3.3ffrel,+3.8scfrel%,
Bozak 1.7p60, 1.2p160, 3.0ppp60, 2.1ppp160, -0.6cfrel, -1.1ffrel, +0.9scfrel%,

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The Sharks definitely misused him though - there were multi games when the Sharks were behind with less than 10 min of time left that playoff run and they had him out on the ice.

Polak isn't going to help you put points on the board - his strength is his defensive play.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
The Sharks definitely misused him though - there were multi games when the Sharks were behind with less than 10 min of time left that playoff run and they had him out on the ice.

Polak isn't going to help you put points on the board - his strength is his defensive play.

This is true.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Man, JVR is soo good when he gets angry. He becomes a top end powerforward when he plays like he did last night. Someone needs to give him a cross check at the start of every game.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
the point is that even the top teams have dmen of Polak calibre. or worse.

the fact that he's not good enough to make our top 6, but is on most other teams, tells you that our D is pretty good.
Our D are good, but the pairings aren't well constructed at all. Seeing that is starting to change, we're starting to look a lot more better.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm still waiting for Kadri to play with JVR and Marner.

I think they'd be outright dominant.
Same here. JVR really needs defensively capable forwards to have that potential 70-point season. While he's strong and is a friendly giant for most parts, Kadri and Marner would represent the pests on his line.

On the other hand, I can see a Bozak - Connor pairing working quite well. It would be an above average second line if Komarov was pushed to the fourth line. We really need someone like Kerby on the left wing. He's going to be an effective power forward once he cleans up his game and paces himself.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
He is not bad defensively. He's just being keyed in on by other teams top lines and for a 19 year old centering two other rookies that's a lot to ask out of him. He gets overwhelmed sometimes but in other games his line has dominated. As they are rookies, there is obviously inconsistency.
It seems like some don't understand how tough it is to play against big shut down forwards. Matthews is still a rookie and once he gets stronger ( especially upper body), he'll further thrive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad