Post-Game Talk: Marner Baby! That's The Andersen We Want! Leafs Win!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A goalie that lets in a goal like that did not have a great game, or steal the game, as many are claiming in thks thread.

That is just not holding our goalie to a high enough standard.

Andersen was ok in this one, nothing more.

With your selective standards you're going to be in for a lot of disappointing nights over the next 5 years.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If our goalies' "great" games are him letting in 2 goals and one of them a stinker at that, in one goal games where we heavily outchance the other team, we're all going to be disappointed the next 5yrs.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If our goalies' "great" games are him letting in 2 goals and one of them a stinker at that, in one goal games where we heavily outchance the other team, we're all going to be disappointed the next 5yrs.

If he allows two goals a game and we score three goals a game for the next 5 years, i think i can live with that.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
All Situations

Corsi 50.0%
Fenwick 50.6%
Shots 47.5%
Chances 57.1%
High Danger 60.9%

The Leafs once again outplayed a very good team, like they have most of the year so far.

This time the goalie didn't screw it up, though he did put them in a tough spot for much of the bame with a stinker.

I'll take that too, but still want more.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Ill take a .935 sv% any day from our goalie.

This was a decent game from Andersen but you can't give up those goals on a consistent basis. The Leafs came back in this game twice. The first time it wasn't his fault, the second was his fault. It's not easy to come back in this league, the team that scores first almost always wins these days.

The goal was not good to give up. Lets hope he can gain the confidence from the W but also realizes that he had a costly error that could have cost the team another W.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If his GAA is 2.0 for the next 5 years we should all be very happy.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I will confess: I don't actually mind having Polak as the #6 this year. He seems a lot better than Hunwick in sheltered minutes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I will confess: I don't actually mind having Polak as the #6 this year. He seems a lot better than Hunwick in sheltered minutes.

Yikes. He is pretty awful in all situations. I mean I would prefer to win against these teams and make them not feel like the Oilers. Tanking is not a good option even if it seems like it is.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Yikes. He is pretty awful in all situations. I mean I would prefer to win against these teams and make them not feel like the Oilers. Tanking is not a good option even if it seems like it is.

Didn't the Sharks make it to the SCF with Polak getting regular ice time on a nightly basis, sometimes even top 4 ice time?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
All Situations

Corsi 50.0%
Fenwick 50.6%
Shots 47.5%
Chances 57.1%
High Danger 60.9%

The Leafs once again outplayed a very good team, like they have most of the year so far.

This time the goalie didn't screw it up, though he did put them in a tough spot for much of the bame with a stinker.

I'll take that too, but still want more.

Outplayed is very debatable. One line had an amazing game while the other lines were very mediocre. Same thing with the D, Zaitsev, Carrick had strong games and Marincin had a decent game. Rest of the D was not so good. Not saying Andersen shouldn't have let in that 2nd goal, but losing this game would not have been a travesty unlike the Ottawa or Winnipeg or Chicago games.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

In a perfect world we lose him and Hunwick to Robidas island.

But if we have to pick one then i'd rather have Polak over Hunwick.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Thou I agree Anderson didn't have the greatest game, he did play a solid game and kept us in the game with numerous amounts of big saves. The second goal was a weak one but one thing I wish our defense would do is step up more, our gap control is horrible and it allows opposing teams to come right into our zone.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Polak is okay on the third pairing, heck as mentioned he was good enough a few months ago to play 3rd. pairing on the Sharks through 24 playoffs games.

Seriously, the Leafs problem is they lack 4 defenders you can put out on the ice and trust in the top 2 pairs.

They're short one top 4 defender, and that trickles down, Carrick and Marincin in the top 4 highlights the real issue.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i'm glad that we did well enough to win. there are some issues that we clearly still need to work on, but as someone pointed out, 2 games at home, we were able to hold on the Lead (and vs. Tampa, even taking into account Andy's poor night, they fought close enough to try and make a go of it).

That will translate on the road soon, and handle the last change of the other team and the push back from the home team. no worries.

Andy had a decent game. If we're going to quibble about his 1 weak goal, well as those who watched Anaheim games, he often does let in one of those (but on the average it is not as crippling or a "what. the. hell.") the important thing is, once Andy stabilizes, when does that "weak goal" happen. is it on the first few shots on goal? (that would be a groan, and here we go chasing a game). is it right AFTER we scored (first, tied the game?). or does it just = "ugh no shut out, but we've got a 3-1 lead and oh look we won.

that's what we want by the end of the year. And then ideally the better we get, it doesn't matter. I don't know about some people, but I just want steady, dependable goaltending. most goalies in the NHL lets in a softie. the more important thing is how they act after that. but anyhoo, enough on that.

Mitch Marner was amazing last night. brava on him. I love very much how you don't know who will take over the game before it starts, but you just know if it's not Mitch, it's Matthews + Nylander we've got creative, dangerous options and it's wonderful. There still looks to be some defensive breakdowns, but i know we'll work on that as the year goes on, so i'm not stressed. May Hunwick feel better but never leave Robidas Island.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
i'm glad that we did well enough to win. there are some issues that we clearly still need to work on, but as someone pointed out, 2 games at home, we were able to hold on the Lead (and vs. Tampa, even taking into account Andy's poor night, they fought close enough to try and make a go of it).

That will translate on the road soon, and handle the last change of the other team and the push back from the home team. no worries.

Andy had a decent game. If we're going to quibble about his 1 weak goal, well as those who watched Anaheim games, he often does let in one of those (but on the average it is not as crippling or a "what. the. hell.") the important thing is, once Andy stabilizes, when does that "weak goal" happen. is it on the first few shots on goal? (that would be a groan, and here we go chasing a game). is it right AFTER we scored (first, tied the game?). or does it just = "ugh no shut out, but we've got a 3-1 lead and oh look we won.

that's what we want by the end of the year. And then ideally the better we get, it doesn't matter. I don't know about some people, but I just want steady, dependable goaltending. most goalies in the NHL lets in a softie. the more important thing is how they act after that. but anyhoo, enough on that.

Mitch Marner was amazing last night. brava on him. I love very much how you don't know who will take over the game before it starts, but you just know if it's not Mitch, it's Matthews + Nylander we've got creative, dangerous options and it's wonderful. There still looks to be some defensive breakdowns, but i know we'll work on that as the year goes on, so i'm not stressed. May Hunwick feel better but never leave Robidas Island.

biggest thing i've noticed this year is that these guys don't quit and just starting dogging it out there when things aren't going well. at times they get hemmed or they look helpless but it's not for a lack of effort which honestly is all I really ask for right now. the wins will come eventually as long as they keep the effort up

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Is there any player other than Bozak who can score two goals and have almost zero praise given to him? It's ridiculous how some people treat him at this point to be honest.

Its quite comical, although you will find that generally its the same 2-3 posters ragging on him (in fact there is one in particular who seems tp mention him in every single post). Guy has been a consistent .6 ppg guy no mattet who we put him with. He's got 5 pts in 7 games this year already but yeah, completely useless.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Thou I agree Anderson didn't have the greatest game, he did play a solid game and kept us in the game with numerous amounts of big saves. The second goal was a weak one but one thing I wish our defense would do is step up more, our gap control is horrible and it allows opposing teams to come right into our zone.

When they showed the percentages last night on high glove, wasn't it about 2% more for Andersen?

I wasn't paying much attention, but it didn't look like there was a huge difference, perhaps the biggest difference is how much time and space the opposition is getting to make those shots.

How many top corner goals has Nylander scored this season so far?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When they showed the percentages last night on high glove, wasn't it about 2% more for Andersen?

I wasn't paying much attention, but it didn't look like there was a huge difference, perhaps the biggest difference is how much time and space the opposition is getting to make those shots.

How many top corner goals has Nylander scored this season so far?

Correct Chart showed .... +27% Andersen verses 25% league average.

However it was high glove where the majority of Andersen's goals surrendered has gone in compared to other areas.

The book on Andersen is that he goes down early and that exposes the top of the net much like the 2nd goal against yesterday.

Good to see him battle through it yesterday, and while often it didn't look pretty it was still a win on the night.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Correct Chart showed .... +27% Andersen verses 25% league average.

However it was high glove where the majority of Andersen's goals surrendered has gone in compared to other areas.

The book on Andersen is that he goes down early and that exposes the top of the net much like the 2nd goal against yesterday.

Good to see him battle through it yesterday, and while often it didn't look pretty it was still a win on the night.

are you talking about Mclennans post to post on th2n? that showed blocker high 36% and glove high 27% but he pointed out too many cross seam passes allowed means a lot of one timers that not many goalies will get

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
are you talking about Mclennans post to post on th2n? that showed blocker high 36% and glove high 27% but he pointed out too many cross seam passes allowed means a lot of one timers that not many goalies will get

Zaitsev may have played that one goal a little too much for shot, and that left another empty net shot on the cross ice pass.

Hey, it's early and both Zaitsev and Andersen are new to this team.

IMO the biggest weakness is defense, heck on the one play a Panther was left wide open because the forwards weren't backchecking well enough to keep up with the play. Andersen made that stop, but with better defensive play it never should have been an uncontested opportunity.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Zaitsev may have played that one goal a little too much for shot, and that left another empty net shot on the cross ice pass.

Hey, it's early and both Zaitsev and Andersen are new to this team.

IMO the biggest weakness is defense, heck on the one play a Panther was left wide open because the forwards weren't backchecking well enough to keep up with the play. Andersen made that stop, but with better defensive play it never should have been an uncontested opportunity.

100% agree and even if it's not the biggest weakness it is a lot easier to address, this goalie has 5 years and if he is as bad as some say (he is not) no one will trade for him. So concentrate on the d that is consistently letting opposing players go in all alone on a goalie who had low confidence (I think he is back)

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Its quite comical, although you will find that generally its the same 2-3 posters ragging on him (in fact there is one in particular who seems tp mention him in every single post). Guy has been a consistent .6 ppg guy no mattet who we put him with. He's got 5 pts in 7 games this year already but yeah, completely useless.

So true. It seems people have either backed Kadri or Bozak and because of that you are not allowed to celebrate when one or the other does well. It's like they are not even on the same team.

Bozak was good tonight. Knack for the puck and being in the right place.

Just so people know you can like 1 player more than another but still cheer both of them on....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad