Marner amazing pass to Bozak

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Except he did look over his right shoulder seeing Kadri and Bozak coming in, so there is always that.

If this is a "made you look" thing, you succeeded. I went back to re-watch, and it confirmed that he was able to see both players before bobbling the puck, and from the point he turned to go get it until after he made the pass, he never once glanced in their direction.

In this other pass example, he is able to see the target and the two defencemen all the while as he comes around the net and makes the pass. He controls every aspect of that pass, which removes the element of luck.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Could any of us agree that while Marner may not have *known* Bozak would be there, he *trusted* that Bozak or Kadri would be in position to make a play?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Could any of us agree that while Marner may not have *known* Bozak would be there, he *trusted* that Bozak or Kadri would be in position to make a play?

People talk a lot about hockey IQ, but have a problem with the idea that a player renowned for that is able to look up at JVR and Bozak, and have a good approximation of where their movement will take them in the time he looks away. I'd say that's pretty textbook offensive hockey IQ. The execution of course had a fair share of luck, as it required things out of his control to go his way to succeed.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
When the main point is that he didn't look before passing, why would you compare a play where he did look while passing? :huh:

He's got his head down the whole time in that one until the puck is leaving his stick too

There's a trend there with Marner...maybe not one to be boasting about, and maybe not one that will continue as a pro, but he uses his peripherals and anticipation to make these kinds of passes. It will look bad on him if it doesn't work for sure

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If this is a "made you look" thing, you succeeded. I went back to re-watch, and it confirmed that he was able to see both players before bobbling the puck, and from the point he turned to go get it until after he made the pass, he never once glanced in their direction.

In this other pass example, he is able to see the target and the two defencemen all the while as he comes around the net and makes the pass. He controls every aspect of that pass, which removes the element of luck.

You're something else. Marner even said in his post game interview that he knew Bozak was there, how much more confirmation do you need, a polygraph test?

It's strange how much difficulty people have accepting that an elite hockey player can do something that they couldn't fathom doing themselves, such as know where his teammates are without staring right at them.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You're something else. Marner even said in his post game interview that he knew Bozak was there, how much more confirmation do you need, a polygraph test?

It's strange how much difficulty people have accepting that an elite hockey player can do something that they couldn't fathom doing themselves, such as know where his teammates are without staring right at them.

Good point, getting his opinion on it might help to settle:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Well that depends.

Does Bozak trust Marner enough to have faith in him turning around and making a no look-pass directly to the most prime scoring area of the ice?

Hmmmm

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Lol, people actually think that pass was luck!? Both Dvorak and Marner have been doing those passes to each for years in London. People really need to educate themselves on just how good Marner is.

How many plays in junior translate well to the NHL?

Like I said before, I think Marner is, and will be a great player, but this play shows every little evidence of that.

He hoped that would be the outcome, but he himself would admit there was luck that it was tape to tape and made it through the defenders.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He hoped that would be the outcome, but he himself would admit there was luck that it was tape to tape and made it through the defenders.

I don't think anybody is really denying that there was some luck needed for the pass to make it through, and for Bozak to have his stick free.

The point of contention comes from people saying he just flung it blindly at the net on a prayer. Which I am sure you agree is clearly not the case, as Marner said himself that it was 100% intended to be a pass to either of the two Leafs who were there.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Is anyone thought? It was a good hockey play, as in he knew teammates would be there and put the puck to where they should be. Is that a pass? In my books yes, not sure what else you can call it. His intent was to put it near the net for his teammates, which is exactly what he did. It was a good pass that ended in a goal, end of story.

People are so ******** at anything good to come from the Leafs, no matter what it is.

So "good hockey plays" deserve their own threads on the main boards now? :laugh:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Watch a hockey game and you'll see "good hockey plays" about 10 times a minute. Maybe the Leaf's just haven't had many GHP's in the last few years (decades)

Oooooh a dig at the Leafs record, so original! Same could be said about the Oilers, but you don't see people getting all salty when McDavid's highlight reel plays are posted.

This is the first Marner highlight I've seen on the main boards. You could easily make a 5+ minute highlight reel video of his plays this season, and we're only seven games in.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

No point in me writing this out again:

I'm not saying he didn't know Bozak and Kadri were there in front of the net; of course he did. But without looking, there was no way for him to know exactly where the defenceman was and exactly how Bozak was arriving at the net. He threw the puck where it needed to go given the position of his teammates, but it's not as impressive as picking out a pass from a skill point of view, in my opinion.

And I watch Gaudreau. I know exactly what you mean about this sort of play. Gaudreau does it too, as do all of the great passers around the league. They know where their teammates are without looking, and know where the puck needs to go, but that doesn't mean that they are in full control when they make a blind pass. They make those passes when they know that the risk on the play isn't serious (like it won't lead to an odd-man rush) and the reward is great (a tap-in or an open shot). And when they work out, it doesn't make it any more skillful a play than the many that don't work out.

I think the best way to explain it is this. If I stand at the free-throw line with my back to the hoop and lob one into the net, that's a very skillful play. I knew exactly where the hoop was and hit it. If a friend moves the net five feet in an unspecified direction, and I hit the shot anyway, it's not as skillful on my part. If I had looked before shooting, it's back to being 100% skill.

That he knew Bozak was there isn't really a question. Of course he did. That's hockey IQ and awareness, which he has in spades. But it's less of a skill play when you consider that he wasn't in control of whether the pass avoided the defenceman and hit Bozak on the tape. That part was a fortunate result of making a smart play.

Just listen to his own words, for goodness' sake:

[fieldset=Mitch Marner post-game]"I knew Naz and Bozy were going to the net. I knew if I got it there, hopefully one of them could get it in. So, um, luckily it went right to Bozy."[/fieldset]

I mean, how much clearer can it get?!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's got his head down the whole time in that one until the puck is leaving his stick too

There's a trend there with Marner...maybe not one to be boasting about, and maybe not one that will continue as a pro, but he uses his peripherals and anticipation to make these kinds of passes. It will look bad on him if it doesn't work for sure

Not quite. As he's coming around the net, he gets his head up right here:

ahI6Ts2.jpg

He definitely doesn't turn his head to telegraph the pass, but no question at this point he's surveying the scene in his peripherals (obviously, this plays out over more than one frame of the video with a range of head positions, but this is the only one I was able to capture- it's pretty low quality). He then puts his head back down to make the pass, but circumstances don't really change between the glance and the pass. That's the big difference with the pass the other night. From the time he took a look to the time he made the pass, a lot of things changed, so he wasn't totally in control of what happened. That's why, by his own admission, there was a luck element involved.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I rarely venture here so I can't comment on that, but I've seen the pass and it's hardly something I can see an entire thread on. But it's from Leaf-land so it seems to me to be blown all out of proportion.

Sweet pass by Marner btw... Call it luck all you want but it takes balls to put it through that kinda mess and expect it to hit a teammates stick right on the tape like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
TSN reports on broken pane of glass for three (3) days.
Player who breaks said pane of glass even perplexed by ongoing coverage.
Funny story of competing NHL players doing a r/p/s contest makes sports news (we agree there) now compared to TSN 3 days of detailed coverage of broken pane of glass to justify over the top thread of one (1) single pass.

My point is we outside of the center of the universe are fed a constant diet by the Toronto based sports media of pretty much every mundane thing that happens to the Toronto Maple Leafs, like Kessel eating a hot dog or hanging on and dissecting every word Babcock says.

I see a thread on a single pass here, and it's laughable.

Live out west and you'd figure it out in a hurry.

Anyway feel free to continue to enjoy your psychological analysis of others posts and I will remind myself to continue to enjoy ignoring the Toronto Sports Network and threads about the single marvellous things that Toronto players will continue to do. Talking with Leaf fans is like putting hot charcoals in my eyes and I went against my better judgement by commenting.

Alert us when Marner figures out interdimensional time travel or the space time continuum please.

Out, and enjoy your Leafs. Your media ensures that we do.

That did not occur.
And Kessel eating a hot dog was extreme criticism of a Leaf player. And it turned out to be a complete lie. I thought they loved Leaf players?
The broken glass got no more coverage than Seguin "Rock, Paper Scissors" story.

Last edited:

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

That he knew Bozak was there isn't really a question. Of course he did. That's hockey IQ and awareness, which he has in spades. But it's less of a skill play when you consider that he wasn't in control of whether the pass avoided the defenceman and hit Bozak on the tape. That part was a fortunate result of making a smart play.

[fieldset=Mitch Marner post-game]"I knew Naz and Bozy were going to the net. I knew if I got it there, hopefully one of them could get it in. So, um, luckily it went right to Bozy."[/fieldset]

That describes pretty much every pass, shot and goal ever. You can never control what another player is going to do. So basically every play ever is just luck.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

So what separates good fron lucky. Clearly isn't intent since we knew he meant to put it there .

As far as I can tell every great pass or play had luck involved . You have to be good enough to do it and lucky enough to pull it off.

So answer this, what is he separating line between a great play and a lucky play?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That describes pretty much every pass, shot and goal ever. You can never control what another player is going to do. So basically every play ever is just luck.

So what separates good fron lucky. Clearly isn't intent since we knew he meant to put it there .

As far as I can tell every great pass or play had luck involved . You have to be good enough to do it and lucky enough to pull it off.

So answer this, what is he separating line between a great play and a lucky play?

The important part there is where he says "luckliy it went right to Bozy." That is not true of every pass. That's only true if you aren't 100% sure where the intended receiver of the pass is and where your pass is going to go.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The important part there is where he says "luckliy it went right to Bozy." That is not true of every pass.

I think what you are trying to say is it was a high risk play that worked out. Almost great plays are high risk, but when they work out are amazing. You can call it luck all you want, but there was clear intent on a high risk move that worked out as intended.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Oooooh a dig at the Leafs record, so original! Same could be said about the Oilers, but you don't see people getting all salty when McDavid's highlight reel plays are posted.

This is the first Marner highlight I've seen on the main boards. You could easily make a 5+ minute highlight reel video of his plays this season, and we're only seven games in.

Hopefully that highlight video would have actual highlights it and not plays like this thread is about.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
It was skill of him to have the peripheral awareness, sublime vision, and puck skills to get that puck to the front of the net while two teammates were crashing.

It was luck for the puck not to be deflected by one of three defenders/goaltender while it very easily could have.

I'm not sure how it can get much clearer than that.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Sweet pass by Marner btw... Call it luck all you want but it takes balls to put it through that kinda mess and expect it to hit a teammates stick right on the tape like that.

Balls? Not really, as a hockey player you're always told to put pucks on the net because a goal as such can be scored

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad